should I do OTA update in my situation?

Rice923

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my phone yesterday (it went smoothly and successfully), but I'm getting a prompt to update my phone via OTA.

Here is some information about my phone:
Firmware Version: 2.2.1
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9 imnuts@virtualbox #1
Baseband and Build: ED1

I don't know if the OTA update will brick or unroot my phone so I'm hesitant of updating at the moment. What should I do with the OTA prompt?

Rice923

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions and warnings. Ill try flashing with an EE4 rom tonight and report back. Any suggestion on a particular rom? I saw the vid of altered beast and I'm very impressed by its fluidity.

Daemonax

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
AB is good and was my ROM of choice, but it hasn't been worked on in forever. Some would say that's a good thing, but for not a flash-oholic like me. I'm using the latest Gummy now. They are hinting at a new one fairly soon.

Nitro does good work. I used his ROM on the Fascinate. I've been tempted to use his Charge one. I've never used Danalo's stuff, but I hear good things.

They all have Gingerbread versions, but they are all based off a leak that isn't quite perfect, although perfectly usable and fast. YMMV

wyllic

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
+ 1 for nitro eclipse with the honeycomb theme

Humble was also really good, didn't like gummy charged but that's just me

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
+ 1 for nitro eclipse with the honeycomb theme

Humble was also really good, didn't like gummy charged but that's just me

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

I was gonna do Nitro the other day, but my phone started acting up outta nowhere so I left it be to see if it was a hardware thing. Might do it tonight since it seems to be a temporary glitch...

Rice923

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't have time to do a flash today, but I have a quick question. Do I need to backup anything on my phone before flashing? If so, how do I do so? Thanks so far for all the help.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what you have on there. Your contacts should be backed up on Google, your APKs you can restore from the market.

you could go the easy route and get something like mybackuppro or titanium backup to do the heavy lifting for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow