First time rooting. What next?

mystiphi

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. This is my first Android. Really enjoy it. The Charge is great but I was having issues with lag while running LauncherPro.

Long story short. I've been reading the forums and finally decided to root my phone. I successfully completed it and installed GummyCharged 1.9 two days ago. I installed setcpu and am running stable at 1.3 GHz. I backed up my system with CWM this morning and set up Titanium Backup.

My question is...what next? My phone is a lot snappier (which was my initial goal) but I've been reading that I can take advantage of a lot more apps/options now. What types of ways are you guys using your root access?

Also, I lost my Video Player and Music Player. Is there any way to get those back or are there better options to replace them? What about SMS options too?

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. This is my first Android. Really enjoy it. The Charge is great but I was having issues with lag while running LauncherPro.

Long story short. I've been reading the forums and finally decided to root my phone. I successfully completed it and installed GummyCharged 1.9 two days ago. I installed setcpu and am running stable at 1.3 GHz. I backed up my system with CWM this morning and set up Titanium Backup.

My question is...what next? My phone is a lot snappier (which was my initial goal) but I've been reading that I can take advantage of a lot more apps/options now. What types of ways are you guys using your root access?

Also, I lost my Video Player and Music Player. Is there any way to get those back or are there better options to replace them? What about SMS options too?

The main advantage to having root access is, when you get bored with your current setup (kernel, ROM) you can just flash a new one. I think you can go into the gummytoolbox (open Terminal Emulator and type 'su' and then gummytoolbox - there are further instructions in the GummyCharged thread) and restore the music and/or video player. As far as SMS goes, there is Handcent and ChompSMS. I've used both and I prefer Chomp.

Reactions: mystiphi

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
My phone got rooted the minute I got it home. I change most of the sound events in system/media/ui. Change startup and shutdown audio and animations. I added a bunch of free system fonts. I like to take components from different themes and install them with root explorer. Lots of root only apps in the market aswell.
In the end, TONS of stuff to do with root.

Typed with my thumbs via Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress