Video! How to install GummyCharge 2.0

kraisydave

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Warning! You may brick your phone and void your warranty. Complete at your own risk.

I struggle sometimes reading through 40, 50 and even 60 posts through multiple websites to build my understanding of Android. I really appreciate the friendly atmosphere of the Androiders. In order to help cut down on questions and speed up the learning curve of those like me who need a visual aid, here is a video for you.

All credit goes to Kejar and the Gummy Team for all this great stuff with beginnings from people like imnuts. They take donations and you can hit the ?like? button for them. Help provide them with motivation to keep up this great work.

The Video
GummyCharge Install Root and Clockwork How to by Kdtech.org - YouTube

Below is a collection of information scattered around the message boards that may help noobs like me get going.

You must be rooted, have SD card fix if needed, and have clockwork installed with no other ROMS. Before you begin read everything below, read all the details on the linked pages, and backup as this will erase your phone.

If you do not understand any of this or just need more info here is a link to a great read by DevinXtreme. Remember to hit that thank button for Devin.
[GUIDE][10/5/10]Comprehensive Guide to Rooting, Flashing, and Android Basics! - xda-developers

Here is more info on clockwork and voodoo.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/dr...89908-how-using-cwm-voodoo-june-5-2011-a.html

My older video to get root.
Rooting Samsung Droid Charge on Verizon - YouTube

My video to backup. Remember this is a different ROM, so you may get problems if you restore data and some apps. I came from 1.9 and have not had issues.
Android Titanium Backup of Apps and Data by KDtech.org - YouTube

The primary link to GummyCharged FE 2.0 on xda developers. I went straight to this link and downloaded the file right to my phone. Many more steps are needed.
[ROM][EE4][CWM] GummyCharged FE 2.0 8/26/11 - xda-developers

This link will drop you in the middle of xda forum posts to some wonderful directions kindly written by blarrick. Give him support by ?liking? his post. Then on this same page scroll down to post number 97 for links to odin if you need it and to get clockwork if you are already rooted.
[ROM][EE4][CWM] GummyCharged FE 2.0 8/26/11 - Page 10 - xda-developers

Odin: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Clockwork: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1112804

For those of you using a custom kernel with Build EE4 to gain root and have run into the Write protection pop up when trying to transfer files to your sdcard.

sdcard patch:
simply download below
place on sdcard
and flash using clockwork
[Fix]EE4 sdcard write protection for root users - xda-developers

All credit to Kejar , so please remember to thank him

If this video and collection helped please subscribe to my youtube feed as that is my personal motivation to keep making more. I have recently slow my real life down just so I can make more videos. If you have a suggestion for one you would like to see please let me know.

Twitter
@kraisydave

Youtube
kraisydave's Channel - YouTube

Last edited:
Reactions: Carbide

Carbide

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
+1 on this extremely thorough post. I followed your instructions to the letter, (even the one about reading all other related posts), and had absolutely zero problems from the rooting process to the custom ROM installation. Man, I am finally loving this phone. I feel like it's now mine. From your website, I've tried to donate, but am redirected to a page that reads, "Under Construction". Is there any way around that so that I may show 20 bucks worth of appreciation sooner? I'm no noob by any means, but this Charge is no BlackBerry. You sir, made this virtually painless. Screw Verizon Spineless and their bloatware. Once again, thanks, and I'll be sure to thank those over at xda-developers.com too as soon as I register there. I'm a quick study. I'll help where I can too.

Bryan

kraisydave

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
+1 on this extremely thorough post. I followed your instructions to the letter, (even the one about reading all other related posts), and had absolutely zero problems from the rooting process to the custom ROM installation. Man, I am finally loving this phone. I feel like it's now mine. From your website, I've tried to donate, but am redirected to a page that reads, "Under Construction". Is there any way around that so that I may show 20 bucks worth of appreciation sooner? I'm no noob by any means, but this Charge is no BlackBerry. You sir, made this virtually painless. Screw Verizon Spineless and their bloatware. Once again, thanks, and I'll be sure to thank those over at xda-developers.com too as soon as I register there. I'm a quick study. I'll help where I can too.

Bryan
Bryan,

Thanks for the kind words. Real life has kept me from really getting the site up including making the buttons work. I appreciate the donate offer. For now subscribing and an ad click if you find it interesting would be thanks enough. Let us know how you like Gummy2.0. The battery has been super great for me.

Carbide

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I have literally been digging around in it for about 10 hours straight. I've still got a lot to learn, but so far so good. I can't really give an accurate status of battery life because I've really put it through the paces. I will say that I believe the battery life is better. I've recharged twice today, but it's all relative. I can't believe stock would have held up this well. Tomorrow at work, I'll have better real world results, and will report back after the weekend with some definite results. So far so good..., no so far it's been great!

Bryan

izzyd

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Couple of questions, I have a DC and I had gummycharge 2.0 before then I updated to 2.1 but I kept getting random reboots, so after searching on the forums I found that it was because of CWM I had the old version (cwm 4.0) so I rooted back to stock and started over but when I downloaded the new CWM 5.0 I was able to root the phone but now when I go back into recovery its not going into CWM.... So my question is should I still use CWM 4.0 or look for a newer version? Also when I do root to gummycharge 2.0 then to 2.1 I have the stock radio is it necessary to flash to get the EP1 radio or is the EP4 radio ok? Thanks for your time.

kraisydave

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
izzyd,

"I was able to root the phone but now when I go back into recovery its not going into CWM" - By flashing a new verison of CWM you may have ran into issues related to the kernel in Gummy. If something doesnt take during the flash the phone will revert to stock recovery. Maybe the kernel combined with the version of CWM you are using are not friendly to each other. I would suggest only usingthe recommend version of CWM with the individual kernels. And yes Gummy has a history of reboots, but I have only average less than one a week. How often are yours?

"when I do root to gummycharge 2.0 then to 2.1 I have the stock radio is it necessary to flash to get the EP1 radio or is the EP4 radio ok" - If you are having a full and normal connection with Ep4 it is okay to leave it. If not then you must consider another appropriate radio. I have not used Ep1 with Gummy, so I do not know if it will cause you problems. This is what comes with running an out of support ROM.

I know those answers were not the most helpful, but I can say that I still run Gummy 2.1 with few issues. It is saved in my phone so I can just flash to it at will. I will be trying more ROMs in the near future once again, but I keep moving back to Gummy when I run into problems with others.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress