Couple questions about ODIN, CWM.

TGreg104

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay, up until now I've been using CWM to flash my custom roms and only used ODIN to put CWM on my phone.

1. Is there any difference between cwm and odin? or are they both just two different ways to put roms on.

2. Can I use odin to put roms on? If i do, do I need to even have cwm on my phone?

3 If I use odin to put roms on my phone should I still have cwm?

4. Whats the point of each? Advantages/disadvantages?

So confusedd.:'(

TGreg104

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh! Are there different rom files for odin and cwm? or is it just cwm files are still zipped and odin are unzipped.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Okay, up until now I've been using CWM to flash my custom roms and only used ODIN to put CWM on my phone.

1. Is there any difference between cwm and odin? or are they both just two different ways to put roms on.

Both can be used to flash anything, it is just in the packaging. CWM has quite a few more uses. Fix permissions, partitioning, are just a few.

2. Can I use odin to put roms on? If i do, do I need to even have cwm on my phone?

No you do not need CWM, but it is helpful and no bother to leave on there. You never know when you need it. Oh one thing I forgot from above, most themes are flashed only through CWM

3 If I use odin to put roms on my phone should I still have cwm?

see above

4. Whats the point of each? Advantages/disadvantages?

see above. It is good to be familiar with odin (i would say essential) and CWM is nice to have around. Use them both. keep them both.

So confusedd.

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I have one thing to add:

The nice thing about CWM is that you can make backups and do restores. Say you're running on 'X' Rom and you make yourself a backup. You flash 'Z' Rom and you don't like it. Instead of starting all over again, you can just restore your latest backup of 'X' Rom and it'll be like you never flashed 'Z' Rom.

Odin is very nice to have in case you brick your phone and are unable to go into recovery, you can start from factory bone stock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781