thinking about rooting....

Sprout004

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I can wait for Gingerbread any more and I am thinking about rooting my charge. I have a few questions I am hoping you guys can help me with:

1. Will I lose all of my apps if I root and then put the latest gingerbread release on?

2. When the official update comes out will I be prompted to update or because I am rooted will I have to go back to stock?

3. I guess the most important question, I do I do this and put on the latest gingerbread leak?

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I can wait for Gingerbread any more and I am thinking about rooting my charge. I have a few questions I am hoping you guys can help me with:

1. Will I lose all of my apps if I root and then put the latest gingerbread release on?
You will have to wipe data so you will need to start fresh again

2. When the official update comes out will I be prompted to update or because I am rooted will I have to go back to stock?

You will no longer get over the air updates, but the rom developers updates much much more frequent and quicker than verizon can dream of. Case in point, you are still waiting for the gingerbread rom, while its already out for rooted users, small bugs and glitches will be addressed it they are discovered by the users, while verizon's will not get that kind of immediate feed back.

dsquare86

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
The prospect of rooting my phone that is less than 2 weeks old was extremely intimidating to me at first. Once getting over the initial anxiety, I realized it wasn't so bad. It is just a shame that we have to do these things in order to address things like data connection drop.

On a side note, I did brick the wife's Charge once. It was not a very good day in the neighborhood.

Sprout004

May 31, 2011
Visit site
The prospect of rooting my phone that is less than 2 weeks old was extremely intimidating to me at first. Once getting over the initial anxiety, I realized it wasn't so bad. It is just a shame that we have to do these things in order to address things like data connection drop.

On a side note, I did brick the wife's Charge once. It was not a very good day in the neighborhood.

yea...that sounds like a bad day. I guess I am also confused as to what do...do I go with gummy or use the latest leak? Not to mention how do I go about doing this. I thank you guys greatly for your help...I am sure I sound like a tool.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
We all were new once, remember that. Samsung phones are really hard to permanently brick. You can soft brick it pretty easily and also throw it into a boot look, but if you can get to the downlaod screen, you are safe.

Since your a bit nervous and new to all this go with Gummy. It is easy to put on, and an all around great ROM. Doing it will also give you experience with ODIN and with CWM. If you mess it up, you just go back to ed2 and start again. With the GB leak, if it gets messed up it can be tougher to get back to start

Reactions: nuttynutmeg

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I am going to agree with piizzadude. GummyCharged2.0 is the way to go. It is easy and quick to do. The release that I used is GCFE2.0

I just rooted and flashed GummyCharged2.0 yesterday, and am loving it. I backed up my apps and data using mybackuppro and astro before rooting(both are free), and my apps were re-downloaded from the market. If you also want, there are several apps that store app lists, so that you can manually redownload them later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy