Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Root, just Root

Is there an easy route to a temporary root? I just want to delete a file that Skype left behind (com.raider.something) so that I can install the Skype with FFC.

I don't think I need kernels, or ROMs, or CWM. I understand the benefits of doing these but, I guess I am reasonably happy with the phone and don't want to spend too much time (and risk) delving too deep.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Root, just Root

no not really since I don't think that I have seen a stock kernel file floating around. I would say just throw on one of the rooted kernels and just let it there. Follow these instructions: [ROOT] [KERNEL] [Repost of jt1134] Root,ANY build w/ Voodoo lagfix!*updated*

It will not change your experience much and if the issue comes up again you will be prepared...
    Thanked by:
    Takahe 

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ROM
    Axi0m 2.3/ Lean v1.2.2

[HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4

this mayy help idk. Stock ee4 but debloated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebasil View Post
    Is there an easy route to a temporary root? I just want to delete a file that Skype left behind (com.raider.something) so that I can install the Skype with FFC.

I don't think I need kernels, or ROMs, or CWM. I understand the benefits of doing these but, I guess I am reasonably happy with the phone and don't want to spend too much time (and risk) delving too deep.
    Acknowledging the fact that you are not inclined to spend time with things like CWM...

If you want root access without losing any of the stock stuff this may work for you:
    • Go to this site, download the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip file and put it on your sd card.
    • Assuming drivers are installed and USB Debugging (under Settings > Applications > Development) is checked, start Odin 1.83 (this is the version I used at least).
    • With the phone OFF, connect phone to computer while holding the volume-down button - should now enter "Download" mode (yellow android on screen).
    • After UNchecking Auto-Reboot, under PDA, flash 0817_charge_recovery.tar.md5 (found here).
    • If ODIN says it was successful, disconnect phone, but DO NOT RESTART PHONE YET!!
    • Hold down vol up + home key + power - you will see the samsung logo, but continue holding all three until it goes away then comes back (I've seen other combinations mentioned, but this is what has worked for me).
    • If done correctly, you should now boot into CWM recovery. To flash in CWM simply select "install zip from sdcard", then "choose zip from sdcard" and select the su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip file. Once done select reboot system now (may have to select Go Back to get to this option - I can't recall).

This may be more than you want, but what is nice about this approach is that once you reboot your phone, the CWM you flashed in ODIN will be overwritten by the stock recovery, making your phone exactly as it was prior to ODIN - with the exception of being rooted.

Hope this helps, and if not... feel free to disregard!
    "Knowledge is power. Ignorance is bliss. Sanity is the fine line in between." - Anonymous
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks guys. I'm still not sure what I'll do. There just seem so many choices.