4G dropped completely?

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I am apologizing in advance if this was already addressed.

I, like most Charge owners, as far as I know, seem to experience the 4G signal dropping to 3G. Of late however, the problem has gotten a lot worse. The signal drops more frequently, and just loses all connection. The remedy is still the same though, airplane mode on and off still works. I am wondering if anyone has a more permanent fix, or if anyone can explain to me why this is happening more frequently. '

Thanks in advance!

Eliaseje

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you installed the most recent modems? EP1W MODEM?

I, like most Charge owners, as far as I know, seem to experience the 4G signal dropping to 3G. Of late however, the problem has gotten a lot worse. The signal drops more frequently, and just loses all connection. The remedy is still the same though, airplane mode on and off still works. I am wondering if anyone has a more permanent fix, or if anyone can explain to me why this is happening more frequently. '

Thanks in advance!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon had a system wide data outage for part of yesterday. No 4G, no 3G, no data whatsoever. I have been having problems today with getting a data connection taking forever after waking up the phone. Seems like they may have mostly repaired the data outage but may be having lingering issues related to the outage. Give it another day or two to see if your problem corrects itself. If it doesn't, you may want to upgrade your radios/modems to the EP3 modems.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Thanks in advance!

You're lucky to be dropping to 3G. On Tbolt we're dropping to 1G and no signal at all.

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Verizon had a system wide data outage for part of yesterday. No 4G, no 3G, no data whatsoever. I have been having problems today with getting a data connection taking forever after waking up the phone. Seems like they may have mostly repaired the data outage but may be having lingering issues related to the outage. Give it another day or two to see if your problem corrects itself. If it doesn't, you may want to upgrade your radios/modems to the EP3 modems.

Can I still upgrade the modems, even if I am not on EP3?

My data connection seems to be getting better, it only requires a reboot now to get 4G up and running. But when it drops, it goes from 4G, to no data at all. Luckily, wifi still works.

You're lucky to be dropping to 3G. On Tbolt we're dropping to 1G and no signal at all.

Normally, it only drops to 3G, and thats once in a rare while. I don't know if my problems linger from Verizons network outage, or if it is for a different reason. Either way, I thought the Droid Charge was the only one that dropped signal and required the airplane toggle. It is very interesting to know that it happens to other phones as well.

Last edited:

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Can I still upgrade the modems, even if I am not on EP3?

My data connection seems to be getting better, it only requires a reboot now to get 4G up and running. But when it drops, it goes from 4G, to no data at all. Luckily, wifi still works.

Normally, it only drops to 3G, and thats once in a rare while. I don't know if my problems linger from Verizons network outage, or if it is for a different reason. Either way, I thought the Droid Charge was the only one that dropped signal and required the airplane toggle. It is very interesting to know that it happens to other phones as well.

Yes you can run the modems even if you are not on the EP3 ROM. Modems are not OS specific and can be run across different OS platforms. You can run Froyo EE4 modems with Gingerbread EP3 ROM if you feel that is giving you the best performance. And you can also run the EE4 ROM with the EP1 or EP3 modems. You just flash the different modems in ODIN and you are set.

Reactions: Midnight_Ninja

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can run the modems even if you are not on the EP3 ROM. Modems are not OS specific and can be run across different OS platforms. You can run Froyo EE4 modems with Gingerbread EP3 ROM if you feel that is giving you the best performance. And you can also run the EE4 ROM with the EP1 or EP3 modems. You just flash the different modems in ODIN and you are set.

Hmm..Interesting. Now, please bear with me for my bombardment of questions

Are you running the EP3 modems? Do you find a difference between these and other modems? If so, which modems do you prefer?

And is there a way to install these using CWM?
Thanks again!

Last edited:

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmm..Interesting. Now, please bear with me for my bombardment of questions

Are you running the EP3 modems? Do you find a difference between these and other modems? If so, which modems do you prefer?

And is there a way to install these using CWM?
Thanks again!

I have noticed better and surprisingly slightly faster 4G connectivity and speeds with the EP3 modems, which I am currently running. So obviously I prefer the EP3 modems to EP1Q, EP1W, or EE4 modems. Modems can only be installed through ODIN, they cannot be flashed using CWM.

Reactions: Midnight_Ninja

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed better and surprisingly slightly faster 4G connectivity and speeds with the EP3 modems, which I am currently running. So obviously I prefer the EP3 modems to EP1Q, EP1W, or EE4 modems. Modems can only be installed through ODIN, they cannot be flashed using CWM.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will flash the EP3 modems later this week if I do not notice any improvement( I may do it anyways). As for the Odin vs. CWM question, I have found CWM to be a ton more foolproof than Odin, which is why I asked.

Thanks for all your help!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I will flash the EP3 modems later this week if I do not notice any improvement( I may do it anyways). As for the Odin vs. CWM question, I have found CWM to be a ton more foolproof than Odin, which is why I asked.

Thanks for all your help!

Understood. Modems are .tar files. Any .tar, .tar.md5, or .bin files are flashed through ODIN. Any .zip files are flashed through CWM. In case you didn't already have it, here is the tar file for the EP3 modems:

EP3HAModem.tar.md5 - Minus.com

You will need to extract the tar file out of the 7 zip file using 7zip or winrar. Either one works.

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Understood. Modems are .tar files. Any .tar, .tar.md5, or .bin files are flashed through ODIN. Any .zip files are flashed through CWM. In case you didn't already have it, here is the tar file for the EP3 modems:

Thanks for the clarification. I will have to get on this soon. Have you noticed your signal dropping from 4G at all with the EP3 modem?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification. I will have to get on this soon. Have you noticed your signal dropping from 4G at all with the EP3 modem?

It hasn't stopped dropping completely, but it definitely happens less often. Don't forget the 4G LTE network is still new and being built up, so there are bound to be occasional problems.

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Even though 4G is back(Yes!), I have decided to give this a go. I have been reading up on the GB modems and it seems that people are having trouble with static during calls. Do you by any chance have this problem? If so, would flashing back to the stock ee4 modems fix it?

And is this flashed differently than the method I used for CWM? I tried using the same method and got a pit partion error.

Last edited:

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I've just had this start happening. It started on Sunday the 16th (the data outage) and has been happening on and off ever since. I just lose all data connectivity. What pisses me off the most is that when they had that little data outage I was coming home from a weekend vacation and got stuck a few hours from home with no GPS navigation in an area I didn't know. Thankfully my girlfriend's DInc2 had working data (how does that work, her's was fine but mine wasn't?) and we used her GPS.

Midnight_Ninja

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I've just had this start happening. It started on Sunday the 16th (the data outage) and has been happening on and off ever since. I just lose all data connectivity. What pisses me off the most is that when they had that little data outage I was coming home from a weekend vacation and got stuck a few hours from home with no GPS navigation in an area I didn't know. Thankfully my girlfriend's DInc2 had working data (how does that work, her's was fine but mine wasn't?) and we used her GPS.

Hmm...I thought GPS was separate from data connection. My phone is now on the EP3 modems, and it works great now. I would turn on all 3 gps options on your phone, and if that doesn't work, faster fix and the EP3 modems. FYI, The last two options are root only.

The lock times on my phone are still fairly bad. I realized that most of the time, my 'gps' is network based, because it wasnt locking. My lock times are getting better, but it still takes forever.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Hmm...I thought GPS was separate from data connection. My phone is now on the EP3 modems, and it works great now. I would turn on all 3 gps options on your phone, and if that doesn't work, faster fix and the EP3 modems. FYI, The last two options are root only.

The lock times on my phone are still fairly bad. I realized that most of the time, my 'gps' is network based, because it wasnt locking. My lock times are getting better, but it still takes forever.

No, you don't understand. Without a data connection google nav cannot download the map. So yeah, the GPS worked, it could locate me, but I couldn't use navigation without a data connection.