Stock Gingerbread Want To Root

daveytree3

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I received the ota today.Have never rooted before.Is it possible to just gain root without flashing roms etc?I basically want to freeze a few apps and wifi tether.Thanks to anyone willing to help a new guy!

digmydroidx

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
Sounds just like what I want to do. The answer is yes....we don't have to rom...just a few steps to root though. Not as easy as when I had my droid x...that was a one click app...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Download these two files onto your computer:
CWM - CWM_Recovery4008.tar
Superuser - Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

Place the superuser file on your sd card. Turn off phone. Open ODIN, put phone in download mode by holding volume down button and connecting to pc with usb cable. Uncheck the auto-reboot box in ODIN. ODIN should recognize you phone and you should see a yellow com port show up in ODIN. Click the PDA button and choose the CWM file. Click start. When it finishes, unplug the usb cord, do not turn on your phone. Boot directly to recovery by holding the volume up, home, and power buttons then let go of all three the instant you see the samsung logo flash on the screen for the second time. Scroll to install zip from sd card with volume buttons, hit power button, choose zip from sd card should be highlighted, hit the power button, scroll to the superuser zip file, power button, scroll to yes, power button. When it finishes installing, hit the back button until you are back at the main CWM screen where reboot system now will be highlighted, hit the power button. Done, rooted.

junksecret

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site

Place the superuser file on your sd card. Turn off phone. Open ODIN, put phone in download mode by holding volume down button and connecting to pc with usb cable. Uncheck the auto-reboot box in ODIN. ODIN should recognize you phone and you should see a yellow com port show up in ODIN. Click the PDA button and choose the CWM file. Click start. When it finishes, unplug the usb cord, do not turn on your phone. Boot directly to recovery by holding the volume up, home, and power buttons then let go of all three the instant you see the samsung logo flash on the screen for the second time. Scroll to install zip from sd card with volume buttons, hit power button, choose zip from sd card should be highlighted, hit the power button, scroll to the superuser zip file, power button, scroll to yes, power button. When it finishes installing, hit the back button until you are back at the main CWM screen where reboot system now will be highlighted, hit the power button. Done, rooted.

Btw, I just did this and it worked flawlessly and efffortlessly...THX again your Landsharkness!

Microcosm

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I updated OTA yesterday morning, rooted yesterday afternoon. Worked fine for me following these directions, with any luck you'll have the same results.

Crunch140

May 23, 2011
Visit site

First, thanks for the great instructions. I'm not new to this, but it always helps.

Had a strange thing happen. I did everything as instructed and have root. When I booted back to recovery, it was back at the stock recovery again. I re-flashed CWM using Odin, again, and was able to get back into CWM the first time. After another reboot, I was back at stock recovery again.

Any thoughts?

sabbyATL

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

So when I did this it flashed version 2.1 something when the new OTA update is 2.3.6. And then I got the pop-up saying a system update was available.

What I'm looking to do is take the OTA 2.3.6 update to EP4 and root it so I can get rid of the bloatware and access the wireless tethering.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol