How To Root Stock Droid Charge FP5

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: How To Root Stock Droid Charge EP4D

Eclipse looks cool, I think I will try that. If I follow the Odin process once more with Eclipse, will I still keep all my data?

no you will not keep your data and it is NEVER a good idea to try to keep it either when you flash anything, either via odin or CWM.

The best way to keep your data is via mybackup pro or TiBup, you have to be rooted to use that particular feature though.

long story short, ODIN will always wipe your phone completely, CWM gives you the option to not clear data but you are asking for issues if you don't

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Also, once you have full root & recovery, there is no need to flash rom via ODIN. You can just flash through CWM recovery.

Download Titanium Backup from the market. Backup your apps.

Put the rom you want in the root of the sd card, boot into recovery, install zip, clear cache, clear dalvik cache(under advanced tab), wipe data(to prevent any conflicts, it is best to do this), & reboot.

Your phone will setup like a new phone. Reinstall Titanium Backup from the market & restore your apps & data.

theodd1

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

Also, once you have full root & recovery, there is no need to flash rom via ODIN. You can just flash through CWM recovery.

Download Titanium Backup from the market. Backup your apps.

Put the rom you want in the root of the sd card, boot into recovery, install zip, clear cache, clear dalvik cache(under advanced tab), wipe data(to prevent any conflicts, it is best to do this), & reboot.

Your phone will setup like a new phone. Reinstall Titanium Backup from the market & restore your apps & data.
Thank you! Do I need to download another kernel or will Eclipse flash just fine with the stock root I did?

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Thank you! Do I need to download another kernel or will Eclipse flash just fine with the stock root I did?

It does not come with a kernel. It "will " work with the stock kernel, BUT,...it will perform much better with a custom kernel. I recommend imnuts PB&J kernel. It supports custom boot animations(the one included in Eclipse is SICK), overclocking & generally smooths everything out. You flash it before you install the rom.
Again, it is recommended to use a custom kernel with custom roms. many are made to enhance each other. Imnuts PB&J is the most current & up to date.

antonioj1

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys i got to step 23 just fine but on step 24 its not giving me the option down load. do you guy's know what i might of done wrong? any help would be great.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys i got to step 23 just fine but on step 24 its not giving me the option down load. do you guy's know what i might of done wrong? any help would be great.

Did you create the folder yourself? Did you put it in the root of the sd card? It should be there.

CubanoRafter

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Going to root this phone for a friend tonight and will post my results after.
Is this installing a custom CWM boot loader or recovery? And if it is (or even if not), can I install OTA's after root? :confused:

Basically, I want to make sure once I root this phone (no custom roms yet) that I give my firend the correct info as far as what to do if prompted with an OTA....

I have done root and install roms on my LG Optimus and Iconia so I am familiar with the process...

Thanks!

Edit: Root worked perfect. Big thanks to OP and TRParky for the excellent instructions. Would like advice on above question about OTA's! Thanks!!!!!

Last edited:

antonioj1

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I made the mistake of creating the folder and forgetting to put on the sd card. my phone now is root it. thanks for the reply.

theodd1

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

I can't seem to boot into CWM recovery mode, everytime I hold down volume up+Home + power it goes to the Android system recovery instead. Any ideas?

ztkryan

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I can't seem to boot into CWM recovery mode, everytime I hold down volume up+Home + power it goes to the Android system recovery instead. Any ideas?

You have to reflash cwm the stock kernel overwrites cwm on boot

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

theodd1

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

You guys are seriously helpful, you can't get any of this in any iPhone community. Thanks.

Okay so I finally reflashed CWM, I installed Eclipse v1.4 but I am still averaging close to 283 MB of RAM, should I be concerned if I am on this ROM?

neon4x

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

I tried to install the CWM with odin and it failed. Now my phone won't start at all! HELP PLEASE!!

ztkryan

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried to install the CWM with odin and it failed. Now my phone won't start at all! HELP PLEASE!!

I had that when I first started you need to make sure that after your in download mode put the battery back in before flashing cwm

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

And it is recommended to use a rear usb port. I guess it provides more power. I have had it only fail once using a front panel usb. Never using rear.

Liquid_G

May 3, 2012
Visit site

17. Hold down volume up and home (button on bottom of phone that has an up arrow) and the power button

LOL Its a picture of a house, not an arrow, hence why its called the "Home" button.

Good info though. Thanks for posting it.:D

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone have these files? Including Superuser file. It seems to be gone from Tom's website. He's converted to the Galaxy Nexus.

I've got Odin and CWM (hopefully a correct version that will work on the Charge.

looking for Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

Thanks in advance for pointing them out to me.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have these files? Including Superuser file. It seems to be gone from Tom's website. He's converted to the Galaxy Nexus.

I've got Odin and CWM (hopefully a correct version that will work on the Charge.

looking for Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

Thanks in advance for pointing them out to me.

I don't have the link handy I'm not at my laptop...but if you head over to XDA charge forum, you should find everything you need. They are still pretty active there. I'll try to find the links to what you need in a little while.

Edit...here is the info as promised.

This thread has a version of the latest official FP1 ROM for the Charge...there are a couple versions, they are already rooted. There is tons of info that should answer any questions you have. That's one way to go.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1560117

Or, here is a link to a page with the superuser zip file...

http://androidsu.com/superuser/

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: RazzMaTazz

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

Maikai.Guy, were you able to find what you needed? Wasn't sure if you saw my post above with links to the files you requested.

ruthlessdeveloper

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site

Typed this up for a friend I thought it would be nice to share with any new droid charge owners looking for a guide to how to root EP4D.

Major Credit goes to:
trparky

I learned how to do this from his website:
Tom's Android Knowledge Base -- Offline

Root Stock Droid Charge EP4D:

First download this tool:

http://www.toms-world.org/android/download/ftp/MD5+It%21.exe

It will be used to run an md5 check on the files before they are flashed to your phone.

Next download this:

http://www.toms-world.org/android/download/ftp/ODIN3+v.1.82.exe

MD5: 3D8E8240F2A4F66E63A6622F65C7C909

This is Odin the *Windows* program used to interact with your phone.

Next download this:

http://imnuts.net/rCzxsR

MD5: 9C41377FDCDB341310BC8C25D0794D6D

This is CWM your main interface that will be used when loading roms, etc

<<<<the below line fails>>>>>looks like a fake 404 error

Finally download this:

http://www.toms-world.org/android/download/ftp/Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip

MD5: A5D14DC42323A61CAF71549A885AF8C3

This is the file that you flash to root your phone.

Run MD5 Tool to make sure all the MD5's match the previous MD5 checksum!
1. Open the MD5it program
2. Drag the file into the file box and select MD5it!
3. Verify that the MD5 created matches the ones above (if they don't re-download)
4. Repeat for all files

Now you have all the files downloaded to root your phone. The steps to root stock droid charge are as follows:

Copy files to SD card
1. On the home screen select settings
2. Select USB setting and turn on USB debugging
3. Plug in your phone to your computer (give it a min to install drivers)
4. Pull down your top bar and select "Connect storage to PC" button
5. Create a new folder called Downloads
6. Drag the Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip file into the Downloads folder that you just created
7. Hit the "Disconnect from storage PC" button on your phone

CWM
8. Turn off your phone
9. Once the phone is completely off take out the battery
10. Open Odin then while holding the volume button down plug your phone into the computer
11. When you get the Yellow triangle with android in it your in download mode, plug battery back in.
12. On the left under option uncheck Auto Reboot (you and leave F. Reset Time checked)
13. Once Odin picks up your phone (a yellow com box will show up) click on PDA and browse to the CWM file and select it
14. Click start (it should be a quick flash)
15. Once the flash says successful take out battery and unplug phone

Superuser
16. Put your battery back in the phone
17. Hold down volume up and home (button on bottom of phone that has an up arrow) and the power button
18. Once you see the Samsung logo release the power button but continue to hold down the volume up and home button down
19. Once your phone has booted into CWM(there will be a banana at the bottom of the screen) arrow down with the volume button and select mounts and storage with the power button
20. Arrow down to the option that says mount system and use the power button to select it
21. Arrow down and select go back
22. Arrow down and select install zip from sdcard
23. Select choose zip from sdcard
24. Arrow down and select Downloads
25. Select the file that says Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip
26. Arrow down and select Yes - Install Superuser-3.0.7-efgh-signed.zip
27. Select Go Back
28. Select Go Back
29. Select reboot system now

Let the phone boot up go the market and install root check it should say you?re rooted. Then your all done your phone has root that wasn't so hard was it:)

If you still are unsure or run into any problems feel free to send me a pm I would be happy to help you through the process via skype.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay