Ready to root...I think

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I have a Droid Charge and I'm interested in rooting the phone. I originally had 2 reasons.I've done tons of research, read lots of post and believe I'm ready. But my reasons for wanting to root have changed. The first reason I was concidering rooting was so that I could connect to my laptop via wifi. But I've figured that out without having to root. The other reason was to get rid of all the bloatware. I'm currently running 2.3.6 / version EP4 which I think are one in the same? So now all I really want to do is get rid of the bloatware, but if I'm understanding what I've read I'd have to go back to 2.3.4 or 2.3.3, whichever one has no bloatware. Or can I simply root keeping 2.3.6 and have the ability to remove/uninstall all the bloatware? I'm not really interested in flashing roms or doing anything with kernels yet, so ultimately what I really need to know is the simplest way to get rid of the bloatware.
But let me back up, because the real problem is that my ram is getting close to being maxed out, and I'm under the impression that an excessive amount of apps is the main reason. Thus the desire to uninstall bloatware.What's frustrating is that the phone has 2GB of internal storage and a 30GB sd card, and I'm restricted by 373MB of ram???
Hope this makes sense, and hope even more someone can give me some help.
Thanks in advance:)

Markctco

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
OK great! I actually found that link in a different forum so thanks.
So am I correct in assuming that removing bloatware will free up ram? And also what I believe I need to do after rooting is backup everything with titanium or something like that so that I can restore the phone to factory state in case I need to do a warranty swap. Is that correct?

ztkryan

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Removing bloatware will free up ram and cause your phone to run much more smooth. And yes you will want to use titanium backup to backup all data on your phone that way if you have to turn in your phone for warranty you can put your sd card in the new phone and restore all apps, settings, txt, contacts, etc, however, to unroot yourself you will need to flash the stock ROM via Odin or CWM.

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If the only reason you're rooting is to remove extraneous apps, I think it's stupid to root. Just get app2sd and move apps over to your SD card. If you never use the apps, they don't slow anything down.

This comes from a poor sap who rooted his phone, discovered the "custom ROM" was far inferior with respect to battery life and stability to the stock ROM, and then when trying to return to stock in full compliance with xda-developers recommendations completely bricked the phone. I'm now resorting to looking for a used 4G phone on Craigslist because of the FUBAR.

Man, do I regret rooting.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If the only reason you're rooting is to remove extraneous apps, I think it's stupid to root. Just get app2sd and move apps over to your SD card. If you never use the apps, they don't slow anything down.

This comes from a poor sap who rooted his phone, discovered the "custom ROM" was far inferior with respect to battery life and stability to the stock ROM, and then when trying to return to stock in full compliance with xda-developers recommendations completely bricked the phone. I'm now resorting to looking for a used 4G phone on Craigslist because of the FUBAR.

Man, do I regret rooting.

I went through your past posts looking to see if I could help with your brick issue but I didnt see a post looking for help. Just a bunch of posts about things that are wrong but very easy to fix (Amazon apps for example, just go into your account and get them again)

let us know what we can do to help. I would download the ED2 odin package, go into DL mode and flash that. hen do the OTA's to get back to GB,

MaxBuck2

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I went through your past posts looking to see if I could help with your brick issue but I didnt see a post looking for help. Just a bunch of posts about things that are wrong but very easy to fix (Amazon apps for example, just go into your account and get them again)

let us know what we can do to help. I would download the ED2 odin package, go into DL mode and flash that. hen do the OTA's to get back to GB,
As posted elsewhere, none of the things you suggest are possible for me, since I have a completely dead phone. Does not respond to any inputs whatsoever. Won't power up, won't respond to attempts to enter download mode, does not show up as a device when plugged into the USB port on my computer.

I appreciate your attempts to help, though. But to reiterate -- I will never again root a phone, since I have learned with dismay that if things go wrong they can go very wrong, up to and including complete paperweight status.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok so now I'm confused. I too mainly want to get rid of bloatware. But the problem is that this "bloatware" is the stuff delivered by Verizon. You cannot delete it without rooting. So how can you possibly move it to the card, since that would effectively remove it from the phone as well?
Verizon saddled us with this garbage that not only is taking up space, it is also running services I neither want nor need (Rhapsody, Slacker, etc). Will this app2sd take care of these as well?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No moving the appear to the sd card, and I am not sure you can move the bloat, will only free up space. You cannot get rid of the bloat without rooting

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87