Galaxy S Aviator -- US Cellular's Droid Charge Question

dva9895

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, first time poster here.

This isn't EXACTLY Charge related, but bear with me and you'll see.

I'm switching carriers. I currently have/had T-Mobile, but the service here SUCKS. I'm only operating on EDGE and the closest 3G area is 70 miles away. I feel I'm being ripped off by not getting what I pay for, where all the other major carriers have at least 3G service in my area. However, I'm going with US Cellular, who has the first 4G LTE signal in my state, pretty much all over, not in highly populated areas. I decided to get the Samsung Galaxy S Aviator, which is identical to the Droid Charge on Verizon.

I'm coming from a Windows Phone 7, which I absolutely loved and didn't want to part with, but since the Aviator/Charge is the only 4G LTE phone from USCC, it might be a good opportunity to give it a try. And if I don't like it, there's other options available, including the smaller HTC Pro 7, running WP7.

My question is, since the Charge and the Aviator are identical phones on different carriers, will the ROMS and other tweaks work on both phones? My initial thinking is yes, but I've been unable to find concrete answers on the Aviator, in fact nothing of the sort, so I've been basing my research on the Droid Charge. I've come to terms with the fact that the phone will likely never see ICS, but that's okay because HBO Go isn't supported above Gingerbread, so it's a trade-off.

My first Android phone was an LG Optimus T, hardly a good phone in my opinion, which is why I went with the HD7 because I got a bad first impression of Android OS. But like I said, I'm feeling it's time to go back and see what improvements a better phone can offer. Since I'm relatively new to Android, what is the main advantage of changing out ROMS/Kernals, etc as opposed to running stock? I rooted my old Optimus T and removed bloatware, but never found a ROM to test with. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks for the patience and answers.

Matt

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I saw this somewhere else recently as well, and was answered by someone much smarter than me, but I can add a bit to his answer.

The answer about ROMs is no, not without some tweaking on your (or someone elses) part. The reason given is that T-mo runs on a different band than VZW and that will cause issues all over the place. I am not sure how much would need to be tweaked (could be as simple as getting the radios and kernel out of the t-mo ROM and sticking it in the custom ROM, but I wouldnt try it) but tweaked it would need to be.

I know they are both CDMA, but T-MO runs at something like 1700MHZ and VZW doesnt.

SOME scripts are set up to run with any phone at all, and the dev will tell you that in the OP for the script, so they will be safe to run (I believe loopysmoothness is one of them) but still use caution.

If you are getting the same build that we are currently on (only the t-mo version of it) then I think you will enjoy the phone more than certainly the Optimus T and I KNOW you will love the 4 G

Reactions: dva9895

dva9895

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks piizzadude. It's actually US Cellular I'm going to, but I get the idea, both CDMA but different bands, like how iPhone can't run 3G on T-Mobile and my HD7 couldn't run 3G on AT&T (or T-Mobile for that matter, ha). I won't brick it then, and maybe someone will update some software for the Aviator. I know it's an old phone, a port from Verizon from a year ago, but there's always hope. The Optimus T sucked, getting only EDGE sucked, so I'm sure I'll love 4G LTE. As long as I can stream Slacker on my ride to work, I'm happy :)

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks piizzadude. It's actually US Cellular I'm going to, but I get the idea, both CDMA but different bands, like how iPhone can't run 3G on T-Mobile and my HD7 couldn't run 3G on AT&T (or T-Mobile for that matter, ha). I won't brick it then, and maybe someone will update some software for the Aviator. I know it's an old phone, a port from Verizon from a year ago, but there's always hope. The Optimus T sucked, getting only EDGE sucked, so I'm sure I'll love 4G LTE. As long as I can stream Slacker on my ride to work, I'm happy :)

I would'ny expect to much outta any phone to run 4g especialy if yer in a fringe area as I am...
3g is the max i get here at home and i live on top of the surroundings around chattanooga,tn.
when i hit the valley i can sometimes get 4g.. but 3g for sure....
only phone i would never have again is that no count fascinate VZW had.. top on it was 1x up here.. crap it couldnt even update its self.. so dont get yer hopes up to high for 4g... 3g perhaps..

Lehocki

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
You don't necessarily need a custom rom. I'm on stock, rooted, I used Titanium Pro to delete a bunch of apps fr , bloatware from it, which in return freed up about 70-90 Mb of RAM also the phone is faster. Recomend b4 you do any modifications you find a stock ROM you can download to your Computer n learn how you can flash it to the phone in case you delete something of importance. For me it was a trial n error thing for a few times, but I just reflashed the stock Rom n tried again till I figured out what I cant delete/uninstal so that my Charge would work properly. I also tried the custom ROMs available, so when they become available for the Aviator you can try them out if you wish , untill then you can still have a sortof customized ROM that you made.

dva9895

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Lehocki,

Could you provide a tutorial on how to root this phone, or link to something? I've found several "one-click" applications but there are claims it won't work. I followed a few guides on how to do it manually but there's always one part I get to that it stops working after that, invalid commands in the shell or something.

Lehocki

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
FP1 - All packages up to date - xda-developers This is a website for Charge with the new FP1 update how to install n how to root stock. It might not work for the Aviator.

Just read on this site samsung aviator question - xda-developers

You cant root Aviator as you would the Charge. Guess just got to b patient n keep looking n postig questions . When the Charge came out I had to wait a few months till someone built a new ROM or till I found how to ROOT it. But keep an eye on this site n on XDA if something happens usualy these 2 places have it first. So now you start a new game called waiting. Good luck hope something shows up soon for the Aviator. Personaly the Charge is my first android/smart phone n I love it, I Can do things on it that my Dad's I-pad can only dream of. PS am not fond of anything I-ish. Anyway good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21