Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CWM w/ PBJT (Voodoo)

Default EE4 OTA Root access

Beating a dead horse here...Can someone please give a short summary of how to get root access after EE4 OTA update on a stock brand new device? I posted yesterday trying to get a simple concise list of directions. I really want to do this the right way the first time. I just have not been able to find out the root process on a stock new device with EE4 OTA. Thank you for giving a guide for dummies...

Just flash jt1134's kernel w/odin. Same as before update. Or flash CWM w/ odin and then boot direct to recovery and install one of imnuts kernels.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    CWM w/ PBJT (Voodoo)

Thanks hopper,

that was my plan but I just want to make sure I do this correctly and not screw up my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelmike View Post
    Thanks hopper,

that was my plan but I just want to make sure I do this correctly and not screw up my phone.
    There is a ODIN tutorial in the Altered Beast thread, 3rd post maybe?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

First, I've read a lot lately and I'm still new to this whole flashing via Odin stuff.

Here's my scenario:

I had ED1. Took OTA for ED2 before root. Used Odin and flashed back to ED1 and rooted. Took OTA ED2 update and still rooted.

I don't have voodoo or any custom kernels installed that I know of.

build.prop still says ED1

Now, I am getting the OTA for EE4. If I accept, will I still be rooted? If not, can I go back to to ED1 using Odin to root. Then what?

I hate to say it, there are so many posts out there that say this and that. I can't find one that's just straight forward and simple.

Many thanks!

Had the exact same scenario, only I accepted the OTA EE4, and yes I am still rooted, and the best part is wireless tether now works.

Alrighty, after hours of reading I finally decided to take the EE4 update and move forward with rooting. Here is my scenario.

1) Was on stock rooted ED1
    2) build.prop was edited to ED2 so I stopped getting the annoying notification
    3) I edited back to ED1, accepted and installed the EE4 update (It skipped right over the EE2 update)
    4) Followed DroidxCon's steps EXACTLY as he wrote them on flashing with ODIN.
    5) I flashed the latest and greatest version of CWM - At first ODIN said that it passed. I rebooted into recovery and it was still the Samsung recovery. I flashed CWM with ODIN again and got a couple fails, but eventually it went.
    6) Dropped the Peanut Butter Jelly Time kernel and Gummy Charged ROM onto my SD card.
    7) Booted into CWM.
    8)Flashed PBJT kernel and enabled voodoo lagfix. Got the female robot voice, took about 3 - 5 minutes and all was well.
    9) Booted in CWM again
    10) Flashed Gummy Charged (Wiped data, etc before flashing)
    11) Phone is working flawlessly.
    12) Quadrant score went from 912 to 1652.

Now mind you, this is my FIRST TIME EVER messing with ODIN and CWM. I previously had an OG Droid, so I am at least familiar with the rooting/ROM/kernel flashing. Although I was using SPRecovery, not CWM. I even had a few beers last night while doing this. So if I can do it, any of you can do it.
    Last edited by Halo; 06-14-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spddfrk83 View Post
    Had the exact same scenario, only I accepted the OTA EE4, and yes I am still rooted, and the best part is wireless tether now works.
    I did the flash with Odin vodoo lagfix, so u are saying that if I accept the ota udate all should work fine?
    Thanks
    AKA TrendyProfessional1

Quote Originally Posted by Soba1 View Post
    I did the flash with Odin vodoo lagfix, so u are saying that if I accept the ota udate all should work fine?
    Thanks
    disable the voodoo before you flash or install anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Belizeblue86 View Post
    disable the voodoo before you flash or install anything.
    Thanks; another question if I may?
    Is the lagfix disabled by powering off the phone
    and rebooting with the three fingered salute.
    Powering on the phone, holding the
    vol up button and pressing the home screen?
    Or do I need to use it with Odin. There is a lot of
    info here just trying to put it in order as to make sense
    with everything.
    AKA TrendyProfessional1

with everything.
    If you have the latest version of CWM installed, you can boot into recovery and disable it from there.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    CWM w/ PBJT (Voodoo)

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    Alrighty, after hours of reading I finally decided to take the EE4 update and move forward with rooting. Here is my scenario.

1) Was on stock rooted ED1
    2) build.prop was edited to ED2 so I stopped getting the annoying notification
    3) I edited back to ED1, accepted and installed the EE4 update (It skipped right over the EE2 update)
    4) Followed DroidxCon's steps EXACTLY as he wrote them on flashing with ODIN.
    5) I flashed the latest and greatest version of CWM - At first ODIN said that it passed. I rebooted into recovery and it was still the Samsung recovery. I flashed CWM with ODIN again and got a couple fails, but eventually it went.
    6) Dropped the Peanut Butter Jelly Time kernel and Gummy Charged ROM onto my SD card.
    7) Booted into CWM.
    8)Flashed PBJT kernel and enabled voodoo lagfix. Got the female robot voice, took about 3 - 5 minutes and all was well.
    9) Booted in CWM again
    10) Flashed Gummy Charged (Wiped data, etc before flashing)
    11) Phone is working flawlessly.
    12) Quadrant score went from 912 to 1652.

Now mind you, this is my FIRST TIME EVER messing with ODIN and CWM. I previously had an OG Droid, so I am at least familiar with the rooting/ROM/kernel flashing. Although I was using SPRecovery, not CWM. I even had a few beers last night while doing this. So if I can do it, any of you can do it.
    So this process gave you root access as well? I think I just got a little thrown off when I got the fail message when flashing CWM. Just like you on my first attempt it passed but when I rebooted it went into Samsung recovery and when I tried to reflash CWM the fail message sent me into panic mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Halo View Post
    If you have the latest version of CWM installed, you can boot into recovery and disable it from there.
    Thanks; but one more and this is a very noob question.
    How do I access CWM.
    AKA TrendyProfessional1

How do I access CWM.
    Power the device down. Then hold the vol up and home key down while powering on. as soon as you seem the Samsung logo let go of the power button but continue holding the other 2 down and it will boot into CWR.

How do I access CWM.
    Ok even loaded CWM ROM mgr that I had previously bought from the mkt.
    Its is not letting me boot into recovery.
    Even doing the three finger salute I cannot boot into recovery.
    Can I some how disable this by using adb shell?
    Or probably the best way would be to reflash back to stock?
    Thanks
    AKA TrendyProfessional1

So this process gave you root access as well? I think I just got a little thrown off when I got the fail message when flashing CWM. Just like you on my first attempt it passed but when I rebooted it went into Samsung recovery and when I tried to reflash CWM the fail message sent me into panic mode.
    Yes, I have root access. I had to flash CWM with ODIN about 4 or 5 times until it went. After that, it was simple.

Ok now this thing just seems to be stuck on the Samsung Logo when I power on.
    Any suggestions
    AKA TrendyProfessional1

How do I access CWM.
    After you have flashed CWM with ODIN, you will boot into recovery mode. Flashing CWM will replace the factory set Samsung recovery. Power down the phone. Hold down volume up, the home button and the power button. When the Samsung logo appears, let go up the power button. You should then see the CWM menu.

with everything.
    I wouldnt do it that way. It's not always accurate.

Mount your phone to your pc, open your sd card and you should find a folder in there titled voodoo. Inside of that folder, create a new folder disable-lagfix

so on your sd card it will look like this:
    Main folder: voodoo
    folder inside of the main voodoo folder: disable-lagfix

Then reboot your phone. Listen for the voice, it will tell u when it's disabled.

To turn voodoo back on, simply delete the disable-lagfix folder.

Btw, the reboot will take a few minutes

PBJ kernel comes rooted and has voodoo so when u flash the kernel u get the root and the lagfix

Keep trying to flash until it goes thru. Took me like 10 attempts. Reboot pc, use a different usb port, reboot the phone. Keep trying.

If you soft brick dont panic, just download and flash original rooted stock ed1 thru odin.

edit: btw, cwm now has yellow writing not red. So if you reboot into recovery and see all the options in yellow you have cwm

Ok will try from square one tonight when I get home.
    AKA TrendyProfessional1

Question. I too am a 1st timer. I currently have EE4 with GummyCharged 1.5 but I do not have PBJ. I never knew of PBJ. What does PBJ do? I do have CWM as well and I love the phone. I started with AB until EE4 and felt the comments about people doing AB4.1 with EE4 were misleading because I did it and was unable to use VZ Wireless Tether which lead me to beleive I was back on EE2, I have to admit, Altered Beast was nice but so is GummyCharged. The only thing I am missing now Is Netflix and the ability to HDMI it to a TV. These people here are AWSOME!!!! Thanks for everyones help and making me love my phone even more!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mmamo View Post
    Question. I too am a 1st timer. I currently have EE4 with GummyCharged 1.5 but I do not have PBJ. I never knew of PBJ. What does PBJ do? I do have CWM as well and I love the phone. I started with AB until EE4 and felt the comments about people doing AB4.1 with EE4 were misleading because I did it and was unable to use VZ Wireless Tether which lead me to beleive I was back on EE2, I have to admit, Altered Beast was nice but so is GummyCharged. The only thing I am missing now Is Netflix and the ability to HDMI it to a TV. These people here are AWSOME!!!! Thanks for everyones help and making me love my phone even more!!!!
    here is everything you need to know about PBJ kernel.

It's an easy flash too, put it on your sd card, reboot in CWM, choose install from zip and pick the PBJ zip and just install.

Quote Originally Posted by mmamo View Post
    I can use HDMI to go to a TV without a problem. I have CWM, PBJ kernel, and GummyCHARGED ROM loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by chadness View Post
    I can use HDMI to go to a TV without a problem. I have CWM, PBJ kernel, and GummyCHARGED ROM loaded.
    I wonder if it will work when Netflix makes it our way?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast