Free WiFi Tether?

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I have used the Verizon hotspot to tether my Charge to my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tab and it works fine. I am now trying to find a Rooted application that will do the same thing (allow me to tether my tablet to my android phone). Both Barnacle and OpenGarden do NOT work. Other devices (iTouch, Laptop, Etc) can see and connect to the wifi signal but another android device does not even see the wifi.

It's because of the wireless technology used to broadcast the wifi signal. There's two main methods to broadcast wifi, either ad-hoc or access-point mode. If you've ever configured a wireless router (Linksys, Belkin, etc...), you may have noticed these modes somewhere in the settings. The Verizon Mobile Hotspot is probably broadcasting as an access-point, whereas Barnacle and any other free alternative uses ad-hoc. Android devices probably don't support connecting to ad-hoc networks, thus your android tablet cannot connect to Barnacle's broadcasted ad-hoc network. :(

At least, that's my guess.

Reactions: AirSushi

AirSushi

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It's because of the wireless technology used to broadcast the wifi signal. There's two main methods to broadcast wifi, either ad-hoc or access-point mode. If you've ever configured a wireless router (Linksys, Belkin, etc...), you may have noticed these modes somewhere in the settings. The Verizon Mobile Hotspot is probably broadcasting as an access-point, whereas Barnacle and any other free alternative uses ad-hoc. Android devices probably don't support connecting to ad-hoc networks, thus your android tablet cannot connect to Barnacle's broadcasted ad-hoc network. :(

At least, that's my guess.

Why would the developers of barnacle and opengarden not develop there programs to simulate verizon's hotspot feature.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

dhp106

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Its unfortunate that other android items can't connect through barnacle. My ipad does and so does my laptop. For free I'm happy but I'm considering an android tablet

Sent from my Droid Charge.

millemots

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Its unfortunate that other android items can't connect through barnacle. My ipad does and so does my laptop. For free I'm happy but I'm considering an android tablet

Sent from my Droid Charge.

I have a Samsung GalaxyTab 10.1 which I tether to my Charge. I use WirelessTether, set for infrastructure mode (Android seems to be unable to connect to an ad hoc network) and non-broadcast SSID. The GTab will also not connect to a non-broadcast SSID, so I have the Hidden SSID Enabler app installed and running. This configuration works a charm and was free.

digmydroidx

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a Samsung GalaxyTab 10.1 which I tether to my Charge. I use WirelessTether, set for infrastructure mode (Android seems to be unable to connect to an ad hoc network) and non-broadcast SSID. The GTab will also not connect to a non-broadcast SSID, so I have the Hidden SSID Enabler app installed and running. This configuration works a charm and was free.

I will be running home after work to try this...I have a xoom wifi and already miss the wifi hotspot widget that I am contenplating flashing back to pre GB until someone can figure a workaround this whole verizon/ free wifi problem

sent from my Verizon Droid Charge using Tapatalk.

millemots

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I will be running home after work to try this...I have a xoom wifi and already miss the wifi hotspot widget that I am contenplating flashing back to pre GB until someone can figure a workaround this whole verizon/ free wifi problem

sent from my Verizon Droid Charge using Tapatalk.

Wireless Tether requires a rooted phone to work. Is the lastest (Gingerbread?) OTA updated pushed by VZW rootable? If not, I'll keep waiting on installing that; I can't not have tether. :\

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20