ROOT and free WiFi tether for Droid MAXX!!

foxisbubba#AC

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
all credit goes to original thread authors I am just putting together to make it easy to achieve.

1st root your MAXX by going here - [Root] Droid Ultra / Maxx / Mini - Update 9/13/2013 - Version 1.1 - xda-developers
click on the apk files under the attached files, then install SuperSU / send the Developer some cash while you are there

then go to this link to remove the entitlement check to allow using your stock WiFi hotspot for free (grandfathered unlimited plans)- Mobile Hotspot Hack - VZW Droid Razr/Razr Maxx HD General [XT926] - {Q&A, Discussion} - DroidRzr.com

I have used this on and off with no issues (billing) for a few years now and I'm thrilled to have it with the MAXX

word to the wise - don't abuse your tethered data (of course I'm not responsible for what you do...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stilly1155

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: ROOT and free WiFi tether for MAXX!!

all credit goes to original thread authors I am just putting together to make it easy to achieve.

1st root your MAXX by going here - [Root] Droid Ultra / Maxx / Mini - Update 9/13/2013 - Version 1.1 - xda-developers
click on the apk files under the attached files, then install SuperSU / send the Developer some cash while you are there

then go to this link to remove the entitlement check to allow using your stock WiFi hotspot for free (grandfathered unlimited plans)- Mobile Hotspot Hack - VZW Droid Razr/Razr Maxx HD General [XT926] - {Q&A, Discussion} - DroidRzr.com

I have used this on and off with no issues (billing) for a few years now and I'm thrilled to have it with the MAXX

word to the wise - don't abuse your tethered data (of course I'm not responsible for what you do...)

Or you could just do this. Enable stock tethering - Root Required - xda-developers

artdeguzman

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

If you are a bandwidth abuser, you should be ashamed. I pay for my unlimited tether and do not feel bad pulling down 50+ GB a month.

Sent from VZW HTC One with Unlimited Data and Tethering (subscriber)

- Nexus 10 32
- iPhone 5 32 ATT
- iPad Mini 32 VZW

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I need some help. I rooted my Maxx by the method in the first post here. I also did the change to the entitlement check from a 1 to a 0. I know that I am rooted because I can use Titanium Backup now. On my GNex I was using SVTP for a free mobile hotspot. SVTP still does not work. I also tried Wifi Tether for Root Uses and that also did not work. Can someone tell me what apps do work to enable a free hotspot? Or perhaps I didn't do it right? What have you got to work?

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I need some help. I rooted my Maxx by the method in the first post here. I also did the change to the entitlement check from a 1 to a 0. I know that I am rooted because I can use Titanium Backup now. On my GNex I was using SVTP for a free mobile hotspot. SVTP still does not work. I also tried Wifi Tether for Root Uses and that also did not work. Can someone tell me what apps do work to enable a free hotspot? Or perhaps I didn't do it right? What have you got to work?

If you changed the entitlement check value then you don't need any apps - use the built-in tethering - enable it in Settings-More-Tethering and Mobile Hotspot. I tested and it works. On a side note, Wifi for root users works too, check your settings

Posted via Android Central App

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Thank you! I didn't know I could just use the native hotspot. Its working for me. Now if I could only get Google Wallet or Isis to work (sigh). And in case anyone is wondering...I have Isis installed but there is some kind of issue with my Chase credit card, but I am working on it!

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Thank you! I didn't know I could just use the native hotspot. Its working for me. Now if I could only get Google Wallet or Isis to work (sigh). And in case anyone is wondering...I have Isis installed but there is some kind of issue with my Chase credit card, but I am working on it!

You have to unroot for ISIS to work - it checks for the root status every time it started. The good news is that the entitlement check hack will still work after unrooted - so tethering will continue to work. The outlook for Google Wallet is not as bright, I would even say that most likely it will never work on our phones, ifik.

yenyob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Your post came at a great time for me. I've been trying to find a fix.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

You have to unroot for ISIS to work - it checks for the root status every time it started. The good news is that the entitlement check hack will still work after unrooted - so tethering will continue to work. The outlook for Google Wallet is not as bright, I would even say that most likely it will never work on our phones, ifik.

Google wallet works fine on my rooted Maxx with 4.4 KitKat!

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Does this work with droid maxx with 4.4 upgrade?
Thanks!
It works fine on my Maxx with 4.4 but the procedure is a little different.
SQ Editor and search for app Settings Storage.

settings storage / settings.db / secure / entitlement check
select edit from top
and change value from 1 to 0
and save

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site

select edit from top
and save

I think the bigger issue is obtaining root access on an unrooted 4.4 maxx.

if you can read this, you're standing too close

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

select edit from top
and save
KitKat removed the entitlement check.

You need to install the modified APK or run the Moto Tether for Xposed, if you have root.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

KitKat removed the entitlement check.

You need to install the modified APK or run the Moto Tether for Xposed, if you have root.

Not on mine The check is just in a different place. As I already posted.

select edit from top
and save

redddog

May 2, 2012
Visit site

Will you polease stop bumping this up?!!

Everytime I see it, it looks like someone figured out the tethering on Kitkat.

For crying out loud!!

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

Will you polease stop bumping this up?!!

Everytime I see it, it looks like someone figured out the tethering on Kitkat.

For crying out loud!!

I don't understand reddog. Is it your not rooted or does the method I posted not work for you. If you are rooted I can be more careful in my explanation of how to do it. I did go back through it on my Maxx today to be sure it is still working under KitKat 4.4. Works like a charm. If you are not rooted I don't think you can do it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2