Droid MAXX - Bootloader unlocked - Root away!

Tatsun

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
w

Why would I just make this up out of the blue? I know you said it doesn't matter to you either way, but I'm just curious why you'd think it strange for me to post on not only my personal experience with the Chinese middleman, but also others who had the same issue. I'm just trying to save others the trouble and time, and let them know that their money is better spent elsewhere.
Myself, even after sending multiple emails requesting an update on the status.of the codes, no response ever received whatsoever. Even after filing my dispute with Paypal, still no response, either directly or to the dispute.

I really enjoy having complete access to my phone, and everything on it, and personally it really pisses me off that VZW decides to play big brother and do this to customers. Its my phone, bought and paid for, so let me do whatever I want with it right?
Seriously most likely getting rid of my Droid Maxx soon for a root able device.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: w

Why would I just make this up out of the blue? I know you said it doesn't matter to you either way, but I'm just curious why you'd think it strange for me to post on not only my personal experience with the Chinese middleman, but also others who had the same issue. I'm just trying to save others the trouble and time, and let them know that their money is better spent elsewhere.
Myself, even after sending multiple emails requesting an update on the status.of the codes, no response ever received whatsoever. Even after filing my dispute with Paypal, still no response, either directly or to the dispute.

I really enjoy having complete access to my phone, and everything on it, and personally it really pisses me off that VZW decides to play big brother and do this to customers. Its my phone, bought and paid for, so let me do whatever I want with it right?

Sorry to hear about your troubles, good luck with the refund, and I hope everything sorts out.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

If you want a rootable device, buy nothing but a nexus from now on. Caveat emptor - it was well known that this phone was unrootable and locked down when you bought it. It's not verizon's fault that you bought it either knowing the restrictions but buying anyway or not researching them first.

Tatsun

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site

I actually got stuck with this phone not by choice. My phone is provided to me by my employer at a substantial discount and bought through my company, and they also pay for the majority of my service, except 20%, which is is deducted from my pay to cover my personal usage. The phones mine to do with as I please, but I'm stuck with Verizon, unless I want to pay full price for my coverage.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

I actually got stuck with this phone not by choice. My phone is provided to me by my employer at a substantial discount and bought through my company, and they also pay for the majority of my service, except 20%, which is is deducted from my pay to cover my personal usage. The phones mine to do with as I please, but I'm stuck with Verizon, unless I want to pay full price for my coverage.

Change the employer :D

Keith Garwick

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site

Agreed, no sniveling allowed when the device that you selected performs exactly as designed. If you MUST have developer control, pick an unlocked device.

On the order hand, some folks just love solving a good puzzle......

Keith Garwick

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Just a heads up, you need to download the latest factory image and flash your Maxx back to stock in order to install the OTA updates. The phone will not allow you to flash a retro version so if you get a failure, update your factory image.

Not a big deal, and also not an issue if you are flashing a custom ROM.

waytootangled1

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi there -

I am completely new to the "unlocking" procedure.
I followed your directions, but when I tried to run "TWRP “recovery – twrp-2.7.1.1-ghost.img” (Will be in the “Android” folder)" from my dropbox (where your files were copied) I kept getting a error that says 'Couldn't Mount File -- The disc image file is corrupted'.

Can you help?

The screen on my droid maxx cracked and I can't navigate to anything - so I wanted to unlock it so that I could see/copy some files that it contained.

Thanks,

Michelle

Jared Fulton

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm unlocked Maxx, and rooted. The new 5.0 was downloaded, but I didn't install it. I am concerned that the wifi entitlement hack apk, will not work on 5.0, anyone have any knowledge?

Giddyups

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I haven't seen anyone comment on this yet so I figured I'd post it.
It looks as though there is another source for unlock codes other than a shady dude on taobao. A website offering unlock codes for a fee for many different devices although I am currently only interested in the Droid Maxx (XT1080M). There is also a "100% Money Back Guarantee".

I googled "unlock code for xt1080m" and it was 4 links down for the website: unlockninja dot com/unlock-Motorola+xt1080m

Looks like a similar deal to the dude on taobao but this website is in complete english. Anyone have experience with these people?
I'm about to go all in because I am missing my free WiFi tether like crazy!
This usb tether garbage is killin me!

speaksloww

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Did you get the chance to try this out and see if it was legit?

I've never rooted a phone before, freshly back to the Android camp from iPhone, so I don't even know what all of this entails. My last droid was the original Motorola Droid and I loved it, so the Maxx seemed like a good choice.

I checked unlock ninja out but couldn't make myself pay the $10 to see how much they were going to ask once they found the code...

Giddyups

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
Yeah sorry for the late reply. They got back to me in an email and said they couldn't retrieve an unlock code for my device and to double check the information I provided was correct { (1.) Carrier: Verizon, (2.) Model: Motorola Droid Maxx (XT1080M), (3.) IMEI:xxxxxxxxxx} which I did and it was all correct. Now I just need my refund.
Back to the drawing board :-/

Keith Garwick

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Another Droid Maxx mini-update......not Lollipop - perhaps Moto is waiting to release Android "M" instead,,,,

Once again, if you want to install the OTA update you need to go back to factory stock image. Last time, I used RSD Lite to flash the factory ROM. This time, lets mix it up a little bit... manually install from mfastboot!!

THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE!! SAVE ALL DATA PRIOR TO BACKUP

{you must have the Motorola drivers, ADB, and mfastboot already installed on your computer}

Download factory image "1FF-obake-maxx_verizon-user-4.4.4-SU6-7-release-keys.xml.zip" and then unzip the file to your mfastboot directory location. Just Google the file exactly as quoted above and you will find numerous download sites.

You should now have nine new files in your mfastboot directory:
1FF-obake-maxx_verizon-user-4.4.4-SU6-7-release-keys.xml
boot.img
fsg.mbn
gpt.bin
logo.bin
motoboot.img
NON-HLOS.bin
recovery.img
system.img

Activate the Command Prompt (CMD)
Put your Droid Maxx into bootloader mode
Plug your Maxx into your computer via USB cable (I like to verify that I have a good bridge by typing "mfastboot devices" and ensuring that I have connection)

Enter each line seperately, followed by <Enter>
mfastboot flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot flash boot boot.img
mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot flash system system.img
mfastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot erase modemst1
mfastboot erase modemst2
mfastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
mfastboot erase cache
mfastboot erase userdata
mfastboot reboot

Your Maxx will reboot into factory stock Android 4.4.4 System Version 24.3.7.obake-maxx_Verizon.en.US

Now, you can take the OTA mini-update (for whatever the update is worth).

You will have to go back in time and flash your custom recovery all over again to regain root control via SuperSU. If Motorola and Verizon ever pull their collective heads out of their asses and release Lollipop, you will have to go back to stock all over again at some point.

I'm half tempted to leave my Maxx in factory stock in the morbid hope that Lollipop will come out very soon.

Cheers!

Keith Garwick

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
You can also just use House of Moto to flash a it has an option not to wipe your data, fwiw.

You are absolutely correct! I think that you can use RSD with the same option, as well. I've even flashed my Maxx via Nexus Root Toolkit.

Fact of the matter, I was simply bored........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non