Droid MAXX - Bootloader unlocked - Root away!

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

the bootloader on NON developer MAXX can now be unlocked. Once the bootloader is unlocked, you can do whatever you want: root, load previous version of firmware, custom ROMs, enable Wi-Fi tether, delete system apps (bloat), install radios, etc. etc. etc.

It's not free. It cost about $42-45 to buy an unlock code. The unlock codes are being sold through a Chinese website taobao.com (I think it's the Chinese version of Ebay). If you can read Chinese (or with the use of Google Translate) then just go to that website and search for unlock code for XT1080. Alternatively, you can use a proxy service on Ebay - you buy an item on Ebay (usually less than $2.00) and then that person will do the shipping for you. Of course, you will still need to pay for the code. Getting a code usually takes 24-48 hours (I got mine in less than 24)

Unlock codes are specific for each device, so you will have to provide your phone IMEI number. For all the paranoid ones - if you dont feel comfortable THEN DONT DO IT. IMEI codes are written on the outside of each box of every new phone and anyone could steal them if they wanted too. I, personally, feel that providing IMEI is not a big deal.

Please note: unlocking your bootloader will VOID THE WARRANTY (if that's important to you).

The rest of the information (item numbers on taobao.com or Ebay proxy sellers) must be obtained via PM and will not be posted in the open forum. Head to XDA-Developers.com to find more info.

The process of unlocking is very simple:
1. Get the unlock code
2. Restart your phone into fastboot
3. Run: fastboot unlock oem XXXXXXXXX (< your code)
4. Install custom recovery: fastboot flash recovery YYYYYYY.img (<recovery image file name)
5. adb reboot recovery
6. Reboot system and TWRP will ask you to install SuperSU
7. Update binaries when prompted
8. Done. Stock and rooted.

I'm unlocked, with custom recovery (TWRP), and rooted.

Last edited:

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

the bootloader on NON developer MAXX can now be unlocked. Once the bootloader is unlocked, you can do whatever you want: root, load previous version of firmware, custom ROMs, enable Wi-Fi tether, delete system apps (bloat), install radios, etc. etc. etc.

It's not free. It cost about $42-45 to buy an unlock code. The unlock codes are being sold through a Chinese website taobao.com (I think it's the Chinese version of Ebay). If you can read Chinese (or with the use of Google Translate) then just go to that website and search for unlock code for XT1080. Alternatively, you can use a proxy service on Ebay - you buy an item on Ebay (usually less than $2.00) and then that person will do the shipping for you. Of course, you will still need to pay for the code. Getting a code usually takes 24-48 hours (I got mine in less than 24)

Unlock codes are specific for each device, so you will have to provide your phone IMEI number. For all the paranoid ones - if you dont feel comfortable THEN DONT DO IT. IMEI codes are written on the outside of each box of every new phone and anyone could steal them if they wanted too. I, personally, feel that providing IMEI is not a big deal.

Please note: unlocking your bootloader will VOID THE WARRANTY (if that's important to you).

The rest of the information (item numbers on taobao.com or Ebay proxy sellers) must be obtained via PM and will not be posted in the open forum. Head to XDA-Developers.com to find more info.

1. Get the unlock code
2. Restart your phone into fastboot
3. Run: fastboot unlock oem XXXXXXXXX (< your code)
4. Install custom recovery: fastboot fash recovery YYYYYYY.img (<recovery image file name)
5. adb reboot recovery
7. Update binaries

I'm unlocked, with custom recovery (TWRP), and rooted.

What exactly do you type in the search bar on this site to find it? I'm not having any luck.

I found it. Search for "unlock code for XT1080M". It's there. I'm still not sure I want to give that information to the Chinese. If this can be done by a Chinese developer, why can't an American developer do the same? Honestly, it's not even about the country, continent or people. My question is why can't any of the brilliant minds at XDA do this?

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I found it. Search for "unlock code for XT1080M". It's there. I'm still not sure I want to give that information to the Chinese. If this can be done by a Chinese developer, why can't an American developer do the same? Honestly, it's not even about the country, continent or people. My question is why can't any of the brilliant minds at XDA do this?

Call me crazy, but I seriously think that this method is discovered and run by someone from here (USA). I think a couple of guys discovered how to unlock the bootlaoder but the bounty for this project on XDA was mere $2k. By charging $40 all they need is 50 unlockes to get that - and there are A LOT more that want this and from what I've read quite a bit more that have already purchased the codes. Someone is making pretty good money on this. The scheme is simple: created a few sellers on Chinese "Ebay" and used middle-men.

Be it as it may, this way or another, I'm happy to be on full stock KitKat 4.4 with custom recovery and rooted - already configured free tether, actually removed (not disabled, but actually deleted) TONS of bloatware, installed apps that I need as system apps. The best $40 ever spent.

Melfunn

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Is there any other way to find the imei number other than on the box? My original phone died soon after I purchased it. My current maxx was overnighted to me from Verizon in TX. Not in the maxx box, but in a shipping plus return box with label.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there any other way to find the imei number other than on the box? My original phone died soon after I purchased it. My current maxx was overnighted to me from Verizon in TX. Not in the maxx box, but in a shipping plus return box with label.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Settings > about phone > status

Barry Test

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice to have all of the instructions available in one document. I am willing to help as much as possible. Is there interest for doing this? Others can correct mistakes and add any missed steps. The steps below I have added are in red.

1. Get the unlock code
A. - go to taobao.com
B. search for "moto xt1080 unlock code”
C. buy through ebay proxy – how?
a.
2. Restart your phone into fastboot – how?
3. Run: fastboot unlock oem XXXXXXXXX (< your code) – fastboot instructions
3A. PC instructions, download ADB, hookup USB cable, etc.
A. Is this the version of ADB needed?

http://dottech.org/21534/how-to-ins...ows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/
4. Install custom recovery: fastboot fash recovery YYYYYYY.img (<recovery image file name)
5. adb reboot recovery
7. Update binaries – how and where are they?
9. How to enable WIFI Hotspot. Entitlement hack?

THX

Last edited:

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
This sounds shady as hell. If someone has figured this out, just give it time for XDA to come up with a code generator or other work around.
Maybe its legit but keep me on the sidelines till there is more feedback or XDA has something to say.

mustang02

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
This sounds shady as hell. If someone has figured this out, just give it time for XDA to come up with a code generator or other work around.
Maybe its legit but keep me on the sidelines till there is more feedback or XDA has something to say.
Go look on XDA!!! Not shady at all.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Go take a look at XDA 43 page thread:
Potential Bootloader Unlock for Non-Dev Edition - xda-developers

My reasoning for jumping on the bandwagon was:
1. I have to provide my IMEI number to someone. In China. After I've done the research I concluded for myself that there is NOTHING they can do with that number to hurt me or cheat me out of money. NOTHING. If IMEI was important, manufacturers would not stick a label with it on the OUTSIDE of every box.
2. The worst that could happen - I lose $40 bucks

That was all for the negatives. Positives:
1. This method might not survive for long
2. Unlock is permanent - so, any feature updates (if there will be any) will not un-root
3. Easy root - all there is to it installing the SuperSU app - that's it - rooted.
4. Keeping everything stock - I'm pretty happy with the Maxx version of Android, minus the bloat
5. Free native tether.
6. Moving (selected) apps to system partition
7. If anything else cool comes around - I know I can try and run it

LOTL2

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry guys right after I posted I headed over to xda and saw a long thread on this. May just have to give it a try.

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I think this is totally worth it - to get a clean nexus-like bootloader unlock - doesnt happen very often to MOTO phones on Verizon, if at all. Furthermore, to have a clean simplified root via recovery and one apk that is done literally in one step - priceless.

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was pretty skeptical when I first saw this but after doing a lot of reading in the XDA threads I decided to pull the trigger. Rather than buying through the site I just sent the $40 via paypal to his email address and told him I wanted to purchase the unlock code and included my IMEI and email address. I did this last night and today about noon I sent an email to verify that he had received it and he sent the code about 20 minutes later. The code worked perfectly! :)

tracyt

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I would like to get in on this as well. Could you please give me the info so that I might get a code as well. Thank you

Posted via Android Central App

T-Rob

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Okay...I'd like to jump on this bandwagon as well. LOL I'm currently rooted now and running 4.2.2....there are updates for apps coming out that are only for 4.4 that I can't get. What exactly do I need to do? I don't understand some of the steps.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs