How to root your Motorola Droid MAXX

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Looking to root your Motorola Droid MAXX? Check out the latest guide below.

I wouldnt call that "latest" - it's from September of last year and that's ages in phone develpment terms. Plus, if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I used JCase method) I think you have to be on 4.2.2

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Kit Kat, cannot be rooted! Only 4.2.2 can. !

KitKat can now be rooted, though it's of limited functionality. First, you have to downgrade to 19.5.3 if you updated to the recent 19.6.3. (You can do this using FXZ or House of Moto without bricking the phone.) Second, the root does not survive boot, and does not allow RW of the system partition.

However, it is doable. Jcase just released an exploit for the X that works on the Maxx.

vegasdroid

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
KitKat can now be rooted, though it's of limited functionality. First, you have to downgrade to 19.5.3 if you updated to the recent 19.6.3. (You can do this using FXZ or House of Moto without bricking the phone.) Second, the root does not survive boot, and does not allow RW of the system partition.

However, it is doable. Jcase just released an exploit for the X that works on the Maxx.

Great to hear that. I was unaware of this! Hopefully, they will be able to gain full root.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

STWB88

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Would I be wrong to assume that if I were to downgrade to 19.5.3 that I should be able to "roll back" to 4.2.2 and therefore be able to root easier?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Would I be wrong to assume that if I were to downgrade to 19.5.3 that I should be able to "roll back" to 4.2.2 and therefore be able to root easier?

Yes. The bootloader was updated with 19.5.3 and will not allow downgrades. 19.6.3 was a minor update that didn't change the bootloader so that's why it's possible to roll back.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hello, just got this phone to play with when my mother in law upgraded to the Turbo.

Does this method work for my phone?
It's running 4.1.2, build number 9.8.20-72_VZW-16-5

Thanks!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello, just got this phone to play with when my mother in law upgraded to the Turbo.

Does this method work for my phone?
It's running 4.1.2, build number 9.8.20-72_VZW-16-5

You don't have this phone (the 2013 Droid Maxx) - it never had Android 4.1.2. Maybe you have the (2012) Razr Maxx?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Oooh...sorry. You are correct. Point me in the right direction? This exploit won't with mine?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Joshua Ferring

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Seeing that the posted method is over a year old, does anyone have an updated way? If not, I have a few questions regarding the aforementioned root method.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Seeing that the posted method is over a year old, does anyone have an updated way? If not, I have a few questions regarding the aforementioned root method.

If your phone is at 4.4.4, you're sol right now - there are no root methods for the phone. Anything else I think you can unlock the bootloader with the Sunshine app from teamandirc, and then flash twrp recovery to get root.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2792487

Capitcha

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to root the Maxx when its at 4.4.4 KitKat???

Possible, sure. Has it been done? Unfortunately there is no public root exploit at the moment as the devs who work on this feel the process is a bit "in the weeds" for general users which could cause issues. Last I heard, there wasn't anyone working on a new exploit so I think we'll be stuck until 5.0 comes out.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
No. Though Motorola is definitely working on 5.1 for the 2013 Moto X, so I suspect that the Maxx will get that as well. Moto had a post that said they tested a 5.0.2 build for the X and a 5.1 and the 5.1 was much better, so that's what they are going with.