Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By doogald
  • 1 Post By doogald
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to root your Motorola Droid MAXX

Looking to root your Motorola Droid MAXX? Check out the latest guide below.

[Root/Write Protection Bypass] Droid Ultra/Maxx/Mini - xda-developers

Default Re: How to root your Motorola Droid MAXX

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parsons View Post
    Looking to root your Motorola Droid MAXX? Check out the latest guide below.
    I wouldnt call that "latest" - it's from September of last year and that's ages in phone develpment terms. Plus, if I remember correctly (it's been a while since I used JCase method) I think you have to be on 4.2.2

Kit Kat, cannot be rooted! Only 4.2.2 can.

Sent from my DROID MAXX!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vegasdroid View Post
    Kit Kat, cannot be rooted! Only 4.2.2 can. !
    KitKat can now be rooted, though it's of limited functionality. First, you have to downgrade to 19.5.3 if you updated to the recent 19.6.3. (You can do this using FXZ or House of Moto without bricking the phone.) Second, the root does not survive boot, and does not allow RW of the system partition.

However, it is doable. Jcase just released an exploit for the X that works on the Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    KitKat can now be rooted, though it's of limited functionality. First, you have to downgrade to 19.5.3 if you updated to the recent 19.6.3. (You can do this using FXZ or House of Moto without bricking the phone.) Second, the root does not survive boot, and does not allow RW of the system partition.

However, it is doable. Jcase just released an exploit for the X that works on the Maxx.
    Great to hear that. I was unaware of this! Hopefully, they will be able to gain full root.

Would I be wrong to assume that if I were to downgrade to 19.5.3 that I should be able to "roll back" to 4.2.2 and therefore be able to root easier?

Quote Originally Posted by STWB88 View Post
    Would I be wrong to assume that if I were to downgrade to 19.5.3 that I should be able to "roll back" to 4.2.2 and therefore be able to root easier?
    Yes. The bootloader was updated with 19.5.3 and will not allow downgrades. 19.6.3 was a minor update that didn't change the bootloader so that's why it's possible to roll back.

Hello, just got this phone to play with when my mother in law upgraded to the Turbo.

Does this method work for my phone?
    It's running 4.1.2, build number 9.8.20-72_VZW-16-5

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Funkpod View Post
    Hello, just got this phone to play with when my mother in law upgraded to the Turbo.

Does this method work for my phone?
    It's running 4.1.2, build number 9.8.20-72_VZW-16-5
    You don't have this phone (the 2013 Droid Maxx) - it never had Android 4.1.2. Maybe you have the (2012) Razr Maxx?

Oooh...sorry. You are correct. Point me in the right direction? This exploit won't with mine?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

SDavisEst1977 likes this.

Seeing that the posted method is over a year old, does anyone have an updated way? If not, I have a few questions regarding the aforementioned root method.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Ferring View Post
    Seeing that the posted method is over a year old, does anyone have an updated way? If not, I have a few questions regarding the aforementioned root method.
    If your phone is at 4.4.4, you're sol right now - there are no root methods for the phone. Anything else I think you can unlock the bootloader with the Sunshine app from teamandirc, and then flash twrp recovery to get root.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2792487

Quote Originally Posted by doogald View Post
    Yes. The bootloader was updated with 19.5.3 and will not allow downgrades. 19.6.3 was a minor update that didn't change the bootloader so that's why it's possible to roll back.

Quote Originally Posted by vegasdroid View Post
    Great to hear that. I was unaware of this! Hopefully, they will be able to gain full root.

Is it possible to root the Maxx when its at 4.4.4 KitKat???

Possible, sure. Has it been done? Unfortunately there is no public root exploit at the moment as the devs who work on this feel the process is a bit "in the weeds" for general users which could cause issues. Last I heard, there wasn't anyone working on a new exploit so I think we'll be stuck until 5.0 comes out.

Please give the link..

thanks

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

Any word yet on when lollipop arrives for the maxx? Hearing 5.0.1

Posted via the Android Central App

No. Though Motorola is definitely working on 5.1 for the 2013 Moto X, so I suspect that the Maxx will get that as well. Moto had a post that said they tested a 5.0.2 build for the X and a 5.1 and the 5.1 was much better, so that's what they are going with.
    bs5283 likes this.

I am trying to "root" my android maxx and am totally computer illiterate. Kinda. Trying to download disk digger and my device has to be rooted. Have my device linked to my computer with USB cord. And am stuck.

If you are computer illiterate don't even bother trying. There is only one method to root, it's incredibly complex and dangerous (to the phone) if you do even one small thing wrong. And I believe it wipes storage anyway, so you'll have lost anything that you're trying to find with diskdigger.

Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum as well as others and I just want to confirm that my understanding is correct, which is that as of right now there is no possible way to root the Droid MAXX running Android 4.4.4. It sounds like the only option is to wait until Lollipop becomes available on this device. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by eleusis211 View Post
    Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum as well as others and I just want to confirm that my understanding is correct, which is that as of right now there is no possible way to root the Droid MAXX running Android 4.4.4. It sounds like the only option is to wait until Lollipop becomes available on this device. Is that correct?
    As I said in my post above, there is a root method, but read the whole post to make sure you're up for it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3071609

I'd imagine that root will be harder to achieve with Lollipop than easier. I just think the major issue is that the people who look for root exploits just aren't bothering with the Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Weingarten View Post