Droid Maxx Dev Edition, Unlock Bootloader, Flash Recovery TWRP, Root & Native Tether - Android 4.4.4

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Droid Maxx Dev Edition, Unlock Bootloader, Flash Recovery TWRP, Root & Native Tether - Android 4

I just need to know, if I flash this logo.bin will it prevent me from getting OTA? (if it will, I'll just ignore it) I just run a stock ROM with root, that's all I really care for ATM. Thanks!

Most likely, yes. Most OTA updates will not install if system files differ from the original version - entitlement hack was causing boot loops after OTA. Custom recovery, custom ROMS, radios, logos will cause OTA either not install or boot loop.

Jared Fulton

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Droid Maxx Dev Edition, Unlock Bootloader, Flash Recovery TWRP, Root & Native Tether - Android 4

What is the latest OTA, and can't you RSD back to any previous version once you are unlocked? Thanks for the help, I love BL Unlocked
Droid Maxx---consumer Unlocked

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

What is the latest OTA, and can't you RSD back to any previous version once you are unlocked? Thanks for the help, I love BL Unlocked
Droid Maxx---consumer Unlocked

The latest OTA is Android 4.4.4 (21.11.21)

Generally, the RSD works UNLESS bootloader gets updated. The current 4.4.4 OTA included bootloader update which now prevents downgrading - once you are on 4.4.4 the only version you can install via RSD is 4.4.4. Even with unlocked bootloader. If I remember correctly, it was possible to downgrade from 4.4 to 4.2.2 but not lower.

jfulton67

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

How do make sure the native entitlement check is back to stock if you are using the app to bypass?

Jared Fulton

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Is there anyway to remove the lobo.bin temporarily to update firmware?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

How would you "un-flash" logo.bin?

Is there anyway to remove the lobo.bin temporarily to update firmware?

Flash the stock logo.bin

Right, you don't "unflash" anything - you flash something else over. Of course, you want it to be a legitimate, signed by Moto logo.bin.

You can find the latest firmware for the Maxx here: Motorola Firmwares

Download the file that matches the version of the software that's currently on the phone (probably the last, 21.11.21), unzip it, and you'll find the stock logo.bin file that you can fastboot flash back onto the phone.

Jared Fulton

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

I am guessing that I am a part of the 5.0 soak test. Anyone know if the the entitlement hack apk will still work if I install 5.0?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

I am guessing that I am a part of the 5.0 soak test. Anyone know if the the entitlement hack apk will still work if I install 5.0?

What 5.0 soak test? There was an OTA that started going out a week or two ago, just some minor updates for advanced calling.

C Waymo

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site

I have a Verizon Droid Maxx, and I am getting confused on the difference between my Verizon Droid Maxx and the Verizon Droid Maxx Developers Edition, seeing how Cyanogenmod only has a ROM for the Droid Maxx Dev Edition which evidently is the same as the Moto X. Is this method good to go for my Verizon Droid Maxx even if it's just a plain old Droid Maxx which I don't know if it is or isn't a Dev Edition? Motorola wouldn't unlock it at the website but I am going to use the Sunshine App then proceed with this method once the bootloader is unlocked. I am on 4.4.3 so the sunshine app should still work. Also on removing the annoying “Unlocked Bootloader” warning during startup are those the commands you need to put in the CMD window when you open it from the Android folder? "./fastboot devices" and then "./fastboot flash logo logo.bin"? thanks!

jfulton67

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

I thought that was 5.0 soak test. Is there any problem with that update and the entitlement hack?

Ting Dong

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Hi, Could you tell me how to get the unlock code from motorola? I think my phone is the same as yours. thank you.

jfulton67

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

Guys, I have a Droid Maxx Dev Edition and here are the steps I followed to unlock bootloader, flash TWRP and root my device. I have gathered the information from many websites and wanted to put it all in one place. I would like to thank all that provided the instructions on multiple websites. Thank you!! Please correct any of my instructions if necessary or provide better and efficient ways if you know.

Also, I am on Android 4.4.4 (21.11.21.obake-maxx_Verizon.en.US and using a MAC for the whole process!

Prerequisites:
1. Download the contents from link below to your computer (Lets call the folder “Android”)
- https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wuc9hgknip96lqb/AABCGfjDFoK2UTqTcterP6jYa
2. Download TWRP “recovery – twrp-2.7.1.1-ghost.img” (Will be in the “Android” folder)
3. Download “EntitlementBypass v1.2.apk” (This is to get native tethering on Verizon BUT it requires ROOT) (Will be in the “Android” folder)
4. Download “logo.bin” (Will be in the “Android” folder)

The Unlocking:
1. Make sure you have all the required adb, fastboot files and the latest Motorola drivers on your PC or MAC “dropbox link” (My folder might work for you or maybe not. If not, SORRY)
2. Request code from Motorola (this will VOID your warranty if it’s not a Dev Edition)
3. Restart phone in “Fastboot”
- Shut down phone
- Press the “power button” & “volume down” key together for 3 secs and let go
- Next, you will see the Fastboot screen (Normal Power up, Recovery, Factory, Barcodes, BP Tools options will be shown.
- Also, you will see a line “Device is LOCKED”
4. Connect your phone to your PC/Mac
5. Open “CMD” on windows or “Terminal” on MAC
6. Type cd “and the location of the folder where you have your fastboot & adb files located”
- Eg: localhost: Android blahblah$ cd /users/blahblah/Desktop/Android (I am using a MAC)
7. Once, you are in the location of the folder, type;
- ./fastboot devices (again, I am using a MAC)
- You will see something like this “TB435608I9 fastboot” (this means you are good)
- Now type
• ./fastboot oem unlock XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (the code from step 2)
8. After you finish the above step, you will see the line “Device is UNLOCKED”
- Your device been unlocked now ☺

Flashing Custom Recovery (TWRP)
1. Keep the device in fastboot mode from the step 8 above
2. Do the following in the “CMD” or “terminal” app
- ./fastboot devices (results will be same from step 7 above)
- ./fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.7.1.1-ghost.img (the recovery will be flashed and you will read “done” on the phone)
- Scroll down to “recovery” by pressing the “volume down” button on your phone and press the “volume up” button on “recovery”
3. You will enter into TWRP Recovery
4. Press “Reboot” and select “System”
5. At this point, TWRP will ask you if you want to “Root”
6. Say “YES” if you want to Root
7. Thereafter, the Binaries will be updated
8. You have TWRP and Root

To remove the annoying “Unlocked Bootloader” warning during startup
1. Put phone into Fastboot mode (Poweroff→ vol dw + power)
2. ./fastboot devices
3. ./fastboot flash logo logo.bin (This file needs to be in the “Android” folder”
4. Your phone will say DONE
5. Reboot and no more annoying “unlocked bootloader” message

To get Native Tether (Android version 4.4.4) – This requires ROOT
1. Download the file “EntitlementBypass v1.2.apk” on your phone
2. Run the .apk and select “bypass check” and “at boot” (make sure “unknown sources” is checked in security settings
3. Now activate tethering
4. Should be all good

Does the newest update negatively effect native tether? That's 24.13.2 build number

Last edited:

ahmadhassanawan

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site

Hey,
Thanks a lot for this great post.
One thing I need to make clear is that is this process going to erase my phone's memory?

apaliy

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

I'm trying to download the recovery image, but I'm getting a 404 error message, "We can’t find what you’re looking for".

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Crusader

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

Is this thread still alive? Or is there no way to root the Maxx any longer since we're stuck on KitKat?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site

Is this thread still alive? Or is there no way to root the Maxx any longer since we're stuck on KitKat?

What is the build number at the bottom of settings / about phone? (It should start with "SU")...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca