Razr brick / dead battery / fully fixed with bread ties and tweezers.

efbld2f

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So the other day, I screwed up a rom installation by not charging the battery to full and by not doing bootstrap correctly. So when I formatted / wiped everything and used update.zip to install the rom in recovery, everything went to . The phone would hit the red M splash screen (when off ac charge) for about 20 seconds before turning off. Plugged in to the wall, it would stay on indefinitely.

I got droidrazrutility 1.6, but that failed somewhere during the process and I lost everything - even recovery. After that, I tried DRU 1.7 and that wouldn't even try. Then my battery went so low that I couldn't do anything with APfastboot and I couldn't charge it because I had boned my phone so badly.

After some help, I was pointed toward a charging trick involving booting into APfastboot, holding both volume buttons and power until the screen shut off, then releasing and immediately pressing both volume keys again. I simply couldn't get it to work. It worked for a lot of people, but not for me. So I used another 3.6/7 volt battery that I knew to be charged and rigged it to the phone from the inside. No soldering (see pictures). The case is surprisingly easy to get off if you've got a very flat edge (I used hot girl tweezers - the flat ones that hot girls always have) and start from the SD card slot. The back is also glued to the battery, so you need to pry GENTLY and give the glue a chance to break free or you'll just screw up the case.

(note: keep in mind the dangers of soldering to a battery - it may explode and make you more ugly. I propped the battery and the phone between two objects to keep enough tension between the battery and the stripped bread bag ties so as to maintain contact without the need for soldering. I'd imagine conductive grease carefully CAREFULLY dabbed in would have helped with the difficulty of keeping the contacts on the bread ties, but I didn't try that. if you have conductive grease, I'd hope you know how conductive it is and if you bridged a negative/positive gap with it, you're ed)

Once I did this, I was able to get the phone to let me use APfastboot and I downloaded droidrazrutility 1.8, which allowed me to get back to recovery. From there, Just go to update.zip and install the stock rom as you would any other. And poof. Fixed phone from a (nearly) total brick.

IMG_1216.JPGIMG_1217.JPG

Files:
(dru1.8) [TOOLS] Droid RAZR Utility 1.8

(stock rom - the rom I flashed to) File Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip free download from filefactory.com - BergLib.com
The rom link is NOT the one I used to download and I have not tested it for viruses. I couldn't find the original post for the link I used.

Sent from my HP PC (with my working razr sitting next to me). Any questions, shoot an email to [mod edit: removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03