huge signal loss issues on 2 different razr hd's

photogd

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Got two razr hd's on thursday, one for me one for my fiance. We both had droid X's before. I got one white one, she got one in black. We're both having huge signal loss issues on both phones. She's having battery life problems. Not very satisfied. Phone is *amazing*other than these problems though!

In our house, we have no 4g signal at all. We sometimes have 3g , but usually with only 1 bar. They lose 3G all the time though at random, in fact loses all signal at all, and can't do anything data-related at all. Fortunately at home we have wifi. Here's the funny part though. When WIFI is on, it will say we have 3G signal. But as soon as we turn the WIFI off, the 3G signal goes away (in fact we lose any signal we had at all and can't connect to anything data-related without a reboot of the phone.)

Today we drove all around the countryside while on a business trip. Even while driving (or stopped at gas stations) we would both just randomly lose signal (sometimes not at the same time even!) This is *NOT* an issue with towers, we have NEVER had any issues with the droid X's ever losing signal anywhere in our entire region. Verizon has amazing coverage in our area and 3G/4G is full throughout. Friends nearby with other types of phones never have any problem with constant 4G connection on max amount of bars. At this time though I would just like to have any kind of constant signal, even if it's just 1X. 3G would be nice! 4G would be amazing...

battery issues: Mine seems to only be down to 60% battery at the end of the day, her's is dead before the day is over. We use the phones primary to text and call each other and mine even has more data usage so far so why does hers drain so quickly? I have a feeling it has something to do with this damn signal dropping issue.

I freaking love this phone but this may be a dealbreaker. I have 8 days to return the phone to VZW for exhange or refund. What should I do? Any suggestions? Any fixes? I would hate to have to have it replaced because I have all my settings just the way I like it and all the apps I need.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I may be exchanging my RAZR Maxx HD if the data signal doesn't stop dropping. At times, I feel like I'm on the Bionic with these issues. I am aware that this isn't the norm as it holds a 4G signal where my original RAZR Maxx stopped but in other areas it's a disaster. I think my radio is being inconsistent to be honest but we'll see. I'm going to give it another week and see if it continues to be good or bad. The main issue is when the signal is switching from 4G to 3G. It will not switch and only leave me with no data and force me to enter airplane mode.

photogd

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
TEST 1
11:19PM EST

WIFI is enabled and connected. Status bar shows I have 3G with 1 bar (or 1/2 a bar? Can't tell.) It is greyed out, as the 3G is deactived since WIFI is in use.
I Now turn WIFI off... Ok now 3G is on with the smallest bar. It didn't drop my connection this time around.NETWORK TYPE AND STRENGTH showing as 1x -96dBm, 3G -102dBm.

Isn't -100+ dBm really bad?

photogd

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Switching "preferred network" in the network options from Global to LTE/CDMA and vice versa seem to make no difference. Stepsons nexus has 4g with 4 bars right now 2 feet away.

photogd

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
tried the "fresh network" app on the app store to boost signal after reading reviews. Seemed to work for about 20 seconds and had 4G with about 2 bars. Then it dropped back down to 4G with 1 small bar at -126dBm. Shortly after that back down to 3G with -102dBm.

Took my phone outside on a cig break and lost all data whatsoever, showed 2 bars??? But didn't say 1x or 3G or 4G and couldn't connect to the internet.

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Switching "preferred network" in the network options from Global to LTE/CDMA and vice versa seem to make no difference. Stepsons nexus has 4g with 4 bars right now 2 feet away.

Try rebooting the phone after you switch from global to LTE.

photogd

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Try rebooting the phone after you switch from global to LTE.

yes, have done that. doesn't seem to help at all. Anyone know how to clear the cache on this phone yet? I know the original droid razr had some issues with ICS and some people recommended clearing the cache

ts47

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
yes, have done that. doesn't seem to help at all. Anyone know how to clear the cache on this phone yet? I know the original droid razr had some issues with ICS and some people recommended clearing the cache

Forgot to mention... You should also turn roaming ON. It may be called Global Roaming.

To wipe the cache, you have to boot into recovery. http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=49625#alt This link will take you to instructions for the original RAZR. Use the alternate method, but don't do a system wipe. Chose wipe cache partition instead. VZW may have posted similar instructions for the RAZR HD

Last edited:

photogd

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to mention... You should also turn roaming ON. It may be called Global Roaming.

To wipe the cache, you have to boot into recovery. Hard Reset - DROID RAZR / RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA This link will take you to instructions for the original RAZR. Use the alternate method, but don't do a system wipe. Chose wipe cache partition instead. VZW may have posted similar instructions for the RAZR HD

Yeah I turned the roaming feature on too, forgot to mention.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had my original Maxx HD replaced due to signal drop and the replacement seems 100% better
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if some are just bad then. Mine works just fine, I haven't had any signal issues at all.

I'm at work now holding a solid 4G signal. My first device would barely hold a 3G signal in this same area.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

photogd

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Today I had my first 4 and 5 bar signal on 4GLTE while driving, right after I turned off GPS for the first time. Seems GPS is causing this problem. I duplicated this on my wife's phone, turned off her GPS and she got 5 bars too. I now have GPS disabled though since then and I'm back to having problems and can't re-create my fix with turning off GPS no matter what I do.

Took it to verizon store and they replaced the sim card, now it's even worse, I don't even have any signal at all at my house, barely anything, like 2 bars of 1X and occassionally 1 bar of 3G. Of course while at the verizon store I had 3 bar of 4G which is the same as all their display models had so they don't think there was a problem, as soon as I left the store on my way home I lost all signal and it would switch between no signal and 1X.

Matto2007

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Did you ever figure out the issue? I seem to be having a very similar issue but my phone will show full 4G LTE blue bars but nothing data related will work until I cycle airplane mode on and off. This only happens a few times a day but it's starting to piss me off.

vmamidanna

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Got two razr hd's on thursday, one for me one for my fiance. We both had droid X's before. I got one white one, she got one in black. We're both having huge signal loss issues on both phones. She's having battery life problems. Not very satisfied. Phone is *amazing*other than these problems though!

In our house, we have no 4g signal at all. We sometimes have 3g , but usually with only 1 bar. They lose 3G all the time though at random, in fact loses all signal at all, and can't do anything data-related at all. Fortunately at home we have wifi. Here's the funny part though. When WIFI is on, it will say we have 3G signal. But as soon as we turn the WIFI off, the 3G signal goes away (in fact we lose any signal we had at all and can't connect to anything data-related without a reboot of the phone.)

Today we drove all around the countryside while on a business trip. Even while driving (or stopped at gas stations) we would both just randomly lose signal (sometimes not at the same time even!) This is *NOT* an issue with towers, we have NEVER had any issues with the droid X's ever losing signal anywhere in our entire region. Verizon has amazing coverage in our area and 3G/4G is full throughout. Friends nearby with other types of phones never have any problem with constant 4G connection on max amount of bars. At this time though I would just like to have any kind of constant signal, even if it's just 1X. 3G would be nice! 4G would be amazing...

battery issues: Mine seems to only be down to 60% battery at the end of the day, her's is dead before the day is over. We use the phones primary to text and call each other and mine even has more data usage so far so why does hers drain so quickly? I have a feeling it has something to do with this damn signal dropping issue.

I freaking love this phone but this may be a dealbreaker. I have 8 days to return the phone to VZW for exhange or refund. What should I do? Any suggestions? Any fixes? I would hate to have to have it replaced because I have all my settings just the way I like it and all the apps I need.

Photogd, Motorola phones are one of the best if not THE BEST. I had read only great reviews about Maxx mostly. Either you have a lemon or more probably your carrier has a poor coverage in your area.
Check with other models with the same carrier.
I have droid Razr HD now. I exchanged my S3 after having it for 3 months with it. I 'm now extremely happy with it. S3 signal was the. Worst.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the issue dropping from 4g to 3g. I drove around with my maxx hd and a droid 4 and the droid 4 holds 4g but not the maxx hd. I have been through two phones and several sim cards. Im so pissed and feel cheated. I guess its my own fault for not remembering the same issues I had with the bionic. VZW says they have never heard of anyone else having the issue so I dont know what to try next. Any suggestions?????

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I have the issue dropping from 4g to 3g. I drove around with my maxx hd and a droid 4 and the droid 4 holds 4g but not the maxx hd. I have been through two phones and several sim cards. Im so pissed and feel cheated. I guess its my own fault for not remembering the same issues I had with the bionic. VZW says they have never heard of anyone else having the issue so I dont know what to try next. Any suggestions?????

How many signal bars in 4g on the droid 4 in that area?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD