Disinfecting the phone surface

phonewest

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Is Your Smartphone Making You Sick? - WSJ.com
Given this WSJ article can we wipe down our Razr phones with hand sanitizer or alcohol wipes? The Corning Gorilla Glass spokesman wasn't conclusive indicating an alcohol wipe wouldn't hurt the glass but avoided possible effects on smartphone performance directly. iPhone and BlackBerry says no. I know Motorola uses a water resistance treatment on its new Razrs. I don't normally use a screen protector and think that would only provide more seams for bacteria. Unable to find definitive info on this and want to stay healthy this winter.

lololovestech

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Gross! Thanks for posting this. I wipe down my phone regularly with whatever kind of cleaner is handy (not water). I use mostly natural, environmentally friendly type cleansers @ home. I don't saturate the phone. Typically I have a screen protector on my device so hopefully I'm harming that and not the glass itself. (Looks like the makers of Gorilla Glass state that the glass can be wiped regularly without harming it.) Once in awhile I probably should use an alcohol swab to really kill the germs. I hate getting sick!

I'm not in any way giving advice. Just saying what I do.

In fact going to clean it right now!

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

A-android-B

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
Any germs that happen to be on your glass would surely be dead by morning unless you left some chunks of food on your phone like some dirty dishes lol. And any germs on your phone are from you and probably already inside you anyway. There are more germs in one breathe of sweet sweet air than on your whole phone. If you're scared go to church

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

phonewest

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I would have to disagree A-Android. Bacteria that can affect your health is picked up in public places such as E. Coli, MRSA, C.difficile and other types of Staph. I have several friends who contracted MRSA and nearly lost limbs. These are bacteria that would not ordinarily cause illness unless contracted outside the home. Some may be present in a person but not active. Others that cause colds, flu, etc. can be avoided with hand washing but the phones see all kinds of foreign contact in restaurants, desk tops, computer keys to phones, family members, etc. It is an issue and one should take precautions.

shadofall

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
if your that concerned about it. i would suggest a uv disinfection wand instead of any type of chemical cleaner...

but there IS such a thing and sterizing your enviroment to much...

phonewest

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
I have seen some UV devices that you actually put the phone in, interesting but a little expensive. I think an occasional wipe with a damp not wet hand wipe would be ok on the phone. You are right about killing too many bugs but that is mainly excess use of antibacterial soaps and antibiotics. Not bringing home bad stuff on our hands, phones, keys, etc. will help avoid the preventable bugs that can make us sick. I say these things after many years in health care. I also got my flu shot and Ddap, the one for adults that protects against whooping cough, tetanus and diphtheria. I hated seeing people in hospitals for preventable accidents and diseases.

shadofall

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I have seen some UV devices that you actually put the phone in, interesting but a little expensive. I think an occasional wipe with a damp not wet hand wipe would be ok on the phone. You are right about killing too many bugs but that is mainly excess use of antibacterial soaps and antibiotics. Not bringing home bad stuff on our hands, phones, keys, etc. will help avoid the preventable bugs that can make us sick. I say these things after many years in health care. I also got my flu shot and Ddap, the one for adults that protects against whooping cough, tetanus and diphtheria. I hated seeing people in hospitals for preventable accidents and diseases.

few years back i picked up a UV want for a coworker.. because i got tired of the clorox wipe smell comming from her cube. plus some are small and convient enough for use in public situations, and far kinder to people around you with sensitive noses..

i cant do flu shots. i always get the flu when i get one.. but lock me in a room full of people with the flu and i'm perfectly fine.

balthuszar

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
it is better to live WITH the bad bacteria than WITHOUT the good ones...disinfecting anything(your phone, your hands, your entire body) kills all bacteria indiscriminately...with the increased usage of anti-bacterial(purell etc.) it is no wonder there is an increase of illness...

tech_head

Q&A Team
Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Wash your hands. Don't sit your phone down and don't let others use it.
I clean my phone occasionally with some 90% isopropyl alcohol.

vrwk

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I too also spray my phone with some isopropyl alcohol every once in a while. I also bought this spray from Slickwraps that claims it keeps your device germ free for 3 yrs. Pricey for a small amount it gives but it works. I tested it by spraying around my kitchen sink (where it gets nasty) after weeks of negligence on cleaning and nothing around there grew. However, it didn't work for 3 yrs. Maybe in dryer environments like your phone may go up to 3 yrs.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
few years back i picked up a UV want for a coworker.. because i got tired of the clorox wipe smell comming from her cube. plus some are small and convient enough for use in public situations, and far kinder to people around you with sensitive noses..

i cant do flu shots. i always get the flu when i get one.. but lock me in a room full of people with the flu and i'm perfectly fine.

You CAN'T get flu from a flu shot! Its not a live virus!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Android Central Forums

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
This is a typical fear mongering click bait. OMG there are so many bacteria on your toothbrush, so many on a toilet seat, so many on the bottom of your shoe. Nothing new, but the same motives. I don't run down my phone with anything.

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
No, he said he can't get the flu shot because it gives him the flu. It might give you a sore arm... Thats not the flu!

Sent from my VS950 4G using Android Central Forums

balthuszar

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
the flu vaccination is a extremely weakened version of the virus...it has to be alive, and has to be the flu, or your body won't create the antibodies for that specific strain...in other words, your body won't see it as a threat...to say that the flu shot gives you the flu, is correct...however, the vast majority of those who get the vaccination don't get sick from it

edit: did some research and they've changed what the vaccination is/does...so in essence those saying that you don't get the flu from the vaccine are correct...however side effects of the vaccination include headaches, fever and nausea...which, would you looky there...are symptoms of the flu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo