Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default 4G LTE Data Drops

    Was wondering if anyone else is experiencing 4G LTE data drops when your phone shows full blue bars? I am on my second Droid Razr HD and they both have done the exact same thing. The Verizon store employees have not had any other people complain nor has Verizon tech support heard of anyone but me having this issue. It will show great 4G signal strength of 75dBm to 85dBm and full blue bars but data will not work until I cycle airplane mode on and off. Keep in mind it works most of the time but 3 to 5 times a day in my office it losses data so I have to reset my phone to get data back. FYI we have great 4G LTE here at the office probably about 10 other Verizon 4G LTE devices with none of them having the same issues. Maybe it's a tower issue but why would the phone show full bars. I have had it drop data before but the bars gray out and that was at my house where reception sucks. I wonder if this has anything to do with the rumor of the antenna issue delay.

    Would love to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue and if they have found a way to correct it? Really love the phone other then these issues but debating returning and waiting for the HTC DNA.

    Note: I have determined that when I drop data the up and down arrow do nothing they remain greyed out.

    4G LTE Data Drops-screenshot_2012-11-05-12-20-38.png
    Last edited by Matto2007; 11-08-2012 at 03:26 PM.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    Update

    Well I am awaiting a new sim card to see if that will fix the issue it was supposed to be here yesterday. I must just have the worst luck if no one else is experiencing the same issue. I am on my second device what are the odds of getting two bad devices in a row. Maybe the third time is charm.

    Will let you know if it fixes the issue - fingers crossed.
  3. #3  
    Chris Kerrigan's Avatar

    Posts
    3,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    I was having similar issues when I first got my RAZR HD and it turned out some of my Mobile Network settings were out of wack. I don't know if it's the same for you, but you can give this a try:

    Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > Make sure "Verizon Internet" is checked/filled in

    Like I said I don't know if it's the same thing that's happening to you, but mine was unchecked and essentially not allowing the phone to stay connected to Verizon's internet services.

    New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  4. #4  
    Who?'s Avatar

    Posts
    391 Posts
    Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kerrigan View Post
    I was having similar issues when I first got my RAZR HD and it turned out some of my Mobile Network settings were out of wack. I don't know if it's the same for you, but you can give this a try:

    Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > Make sure "Verizon Internet" is checked/filled in

    Like I said I don't know if it's the same thing that's happening to you, but mine was unchecked and essentially not allowing the phone to stay connected to Verizon's internet services.
    I just checked my settings and both access points are unchecked (Verizon Internet and Verizon CDMA HRPD). I don't have the issues the OP is having but I have had to turn on and off airplane mode to get data to come on after getting off wifi a few times. Can I do any harm by checking the Verizon Internet box?
  5. #5  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    I was told by VZW that the access point news setting doesn't matter. I drop from 4g to 3g all the time. #bionic

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    Thanks you for the all guys but I tried about everything and I guess this phone was not for me. I have since switched to the Droid DNA and it is working wonderfully. I have had no data drops where the Razr HD would drop all the time. Best of luck to anyone else that is having the issues maybe once it updates to Jellybean it will be worked out who knows.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by Matto2007 View Post
    Thanks you for the all guys but I tried about everything and I guess this phone was not for me. I have since switched to the Droid DNA and it is working wonderfully. I have had no data drops where the Razr HD would drop all the time. Best of luck to anyone else that is having the issues maybe once it updates to Jellybean it will be worked out who knows.
    Nice, enjoy the DNA...it is one sweet phone I'm sure.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
  8. #8  
    Chris Kerrigan's Avatar

    Posts
    3,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    Sorry for the late reply. Checking it shouldn't do any harm, and I was actually specifically instructed by a Verizon phone rep to do so. Since I've checked it, I've had no data connectivity problems.

    New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
  9. #9  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    In a similar situation. I had a regular MAXX and the signal fluctuation was going from 4g to 3g and to even no service was bad. I live in the Chicago area, coverage should not be an issue. This happened all around the area. After 4 cerfified like new maxx's, I finally got a supervisor to give me a different model; received the galaxy s3. Thought signal was much better on the s3, the phone was slow and battery life no where near the maxx(picture and video was a beautiful sight). I returned the s3 and they sent me a maxx hd. This signal fluctuation is worse than my original maxx. Today, we were in Pleasant Prarie Wisconsin, another well populated area and the maxx hd barely worked, even not getting voice. I went to the verizon store and changed out the sim and all the other trouble shooting ideas. I really hope that Jelly Bean fixes this. I really like Moto and need the battery life(heavy talker and blue tooth user). For comparison, I got an s3 with ATT and that phone/service worked everywhere; even places verizon didnt. When it dropped LTE, it went to 4g, which still was very fast. When verizon drops LTE, it goes to 3g(slow) or 1X(even slower)If verizon doesnt fix this soon, I may go to ATT. Even though many people say ATT sucks and consumer reports rates them as worst, I may not have a choice.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by conan1071 View Post
    In a similar situation. I had a regular MAXX and the signal fluctuation was going from 4g to 3g and to even no service was bad. I live in the Chicago area, coverage should not be an issue. This happened all around the area. After 4 cerfified like new maxx's, I finally got a supervisor to give me a different model; received the galaxy s3. Thought signal was much better on the s3, the phone was slow and battery life no where near the maxx(picture and video was a beautiful sight). I returned the s3 and they sent me a maxx hd. This signal fluctuation is worse than my original maxx. Today, we were in Pleasant Prarie Wisconsin, another well populated area and the maxx hd barely worked, even not getting voice. I went to the verizon store and changed out the sim and all the other trouble shooting ideas. I really hope that Jelly Bean fixes this. I really like Moto and need the battery life(heavy talker and blue tooth user). For comparison, I got an s3 with ATT and that phone/service worked everywhere; even places verizon didnt. When it dropped LTE, it went to 4g, which still was very fast. When verizon drops LTE, it goes to 3g(slow) or 1X(even slower)If verizon doesnt fix this soon, I may go to ATT. Even though many people say ATT sucks and consumer reports rates them as worst, I may not have a choice.
    It's not actually going to "4G" when it drops LTE on AT&T. It's just that AT&T has a fast 3G network that they call 4G sometimes. It's HSPA+, which is faster 3G than Verizon's CDMA.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    I have the same issues in the chicagoland area. Of course VZW says they have never heard of it. I had the same issues with the Bionic. Ive statred a couple prior threads about it but no one else seems to have the issue except for the chicagoland area.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by mobrules View Post
    I have the same issues in the chicagoland area. Of course VZW says they have never heard of it. I had the same issues with the Bionic. Ive statred a couple prior threads about it but no one else seems to have the issue except for the chicagoland area.
    Yep it's either that or they just keep saying 4g is still being built, blah blah. You just have to open a trouble ticket so they can escalate any issue above a device specific problem up to a technician being sent out to whatever area you call them about.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by mobrules View Post
    I have the same issues in the chicagoland area. Of course VZW says they have never heard of it. I had the same issues with the Bionic. Ive statred a couple prior threads about it but no one else seems to have the issue except for the chicagoland area.

    I have spoke with tier 2 tech support and they know its an issue; thats how I got the galaxy s3. Today, I spoke with tier 2 tech support and they conferenced in motorola. Motorola claims that within 5-7 days, we will receive the jelly bean update which will more than correct these connection issues...
    Thanked by:
  14. #14  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by pblakk View Post
    Yep it's either that or they just keep saying 4g is still being built, blah blah. You just have to open a trouble ticket so they can escalate any issue above a device specific problem up to a technician being sent out to whatever area you call them about.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    Did all that; they opened a ticket. 2 days late, they called me to tell me that I am in a low signal area...my wife has an iphone 4 with verizon and she doesnt have these issues and my issues happen all around the area, so its not that I am in a low signal area...
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    I opened a ticket today too. This better fix things or I have no idea what to do next.
    Thanks for the info.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums
  16. #16  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    Quote Originally Posted by mobrules View Post
    I opened a ticket today too. This better fix things or I have no idea what to do next.
    Thanks for the info.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

    Well this just sucks. Talking to tech support the other day, the conferenced in motorola, and they said that jelly bean with improve the signal and so far its worse, I want ginger bread back...
  17. #17  

    Default Re: 4G LTE Data Drops

    I had an issue with signal strength. I simply took the phone off "Global Mode" and forced it to the CDMA option.

    Might want to try that.

Similar Threads

  1. 3g data and voice with simultaneously on Evo 4g LTE
    By samid in forum HTC EVO 4G LTE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 02:33 AM
  2. Data Unlimited for 4G LTE Smartphones
    By haroonie in forum AT&T
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-16-2012, 10:37 PM
  3. Is 2gb data on 4g LTE enough for me?
    By sdsubball23 in forum Verizon
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
  4. Weird 4G LTE Speed Test Data
    By recDNA in forum Verizon HTC Thunderbolt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-17-2011, 08:51 PM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2011, 07:23 AM

Posting Permissions