My phone is lagging.

kufta4

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Is this normal? I can't see why it would be but its driving me absolutely nuts.

What I mean by this is sometimes going from home screen to home screen it won't be smooth. Itll take a little bit of time (relatively speaking). Coming out of an app to the home screen will be choppy, not smooth. Sometimes Ill type out an entire word before it even registers and starts typing to catch up with me. If I tap the home button to zoom out from the home screen and back, itll be choppy, not smooth.

It's those microscopic seconds between things that drives me crazy. This weekend I started using the google play where I put all of my music onto google play from my computer and I access it via the app. Today it was skipping worse than a beat up CD I used to listen to when I was 16 (full bars of 4G and on my wifi). I play Temple Run 2 and the only time I die is when the phone decides to lag at the exact time I need to swipe my guy. Or itll just lag and when its done lagging Im 30 meters down the track (or off the ledge).

Is this normal? Should I call Verizon? Should I reset the phone (I can't see going through this already as I just got the phone a few months ago). My last phone was the Incredible. It was old and didn't lag ANYWHERE NEAR the way this phone lags.

Anyone have any advice?

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
Install any apps recently? Try uninstalling apps starting with the most recent. Of course, before you do that, restart the phone. These phones are just like computers. They need to be restarted every once in awhile to run the best. If it still lags, do the above with the apps. If it keeps lagging, maybe a factory reset will be needed.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Loosenuts

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same problem with lag and also smart actions not working at all. I would always get a popup that said "smart actions has unexpectantly stopped" However I have found that by turning off the "dont keep activities switch" it is all good now. Go to settings>all settings>developer options> scroll all the way to the bottom to "apps" and make sure "dont keep activities is unchecked.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Installing a launcher from the play store like Nova or Apex and running that as your launcher fixes like 95% of the lag and gives you a lot more options about how the phone looks. You won't be able to use Circle Widget though.

Also, if you are interested in rooting, there are ROM's that run more smoothly than the stock one.

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Damn, I been reading everywhere about the Razr HD lagging after the JB update. Been thinking about buying one & now I?m getting second thoughts.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I had some lag that was bugging me. I had done a factory reset using the Privacy->Factory Data Reset. It didn't help. So after a few weeks of turning off Google Now and other things I've read and not being happy with the speed, I finally tried the 'alternate' hard reset. First I did the cache clear, then after that, did the factory reset in recovery. Was a little tricky to get the volume up/down/power buttons pressed correctly, but after it restarted and reinstalled all the apps, it's noticeably faster.

Not 100% lag free, but it's much better than it was.

Step by step here under 'alternate method': Hard Reset - DROID RAZR HD / RAZR MAXX HD by MOTOROLA

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
The best you can do is install Nova, disable Google Now, disable transition animations and take it easy on the widgets. It absolutely sucks, but lag is inherent to Android (Every device, including the Nexus' have it), but its exacerbated by a Motorola script that seemingly kills performance

I recently installed Fast Reboot Pro which essentially kills tasks, and set it to kill on a 5 second delay every time the screen is turned off (You can whitelist apps, like the launcher, etc). This seems to have helped the most.

I feel like I've been playing Android 'fix-it' games since 2009, its getting old...quick.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick update:

My lag was so bad my phone was becoming virtually unusable. I tried various ROMs, nothing seemed to help. When I would try that Moto Script with a ROM, the lag got noticeably worse!

I did a restore to 4.0.4 using Matts utility. It was 100000000% (+/- 10%) better.

I didn't root it do anything and upgraded up through JB. Even with Google Now running and nothing disabled, uninstalled or frozen, it's working great.

Is it possible that rooting or Safe strap caused these lag issues?

If it was something else, why did ROMs lag badly as well?

Last edited:

dark_mirage

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
My phone has never lagged once. I think you are under some major placebo here, or just don't have any idea what you are talking about. I had a Samsung transform that would lag on screen off/on, and would frequently hang for over five minutes upon loading any app, even though I only had 6 apps total.

But either way, here are some tips on fixing your "lag"

Laggy app loading = rngb seeder app set to aggressive
Laggy transitions / graphics = force gpu rendering
Laggy scrolling / polling = V6_SuperCharger by zeppelinrox (RUN THE SQLITE OPTIMIZE)
Slow boot up = convert from init.d to userinit.d
Not quite as snappy as you want = cpu Tweaks
Still slow = interactive kernel Tweaks, remove vsync, 16bit shaders, purgeable assets

Now finally, make your userinit clean up on each boot, by zipaligning, sqlite3 db vacuuming, cache clearing, and have the last script kill it all.
Also, I can send some simple apps that do a little cleaning when the screen closes if you'd like.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
My phone has never lagged once. I think you are under some major placebo here, or just don't have any idea what you are talking about. I had a Samsung transform that would lag on screen off/on, and would frequently hang for over five minutes upon loading any app, even though I only had 6 apps total.

But either way, here are some tips on fixing your "lag"

Laggy app loading = rngb seeder app set to aggressive
Laggy transitions / graphics = force gpu rendering
Laggy scrolling / polling = V6_SuperCharger by zeppelinrox (RUN THE SQLITE OPTIMIZE)
Slow boot up = convert from init.d to userinit.d
Not quite as snappy as you want = cpu Tweaks
Still slow = interactive kernel Tweaks, remove vsync, 16bit shaders, purgeable assets

Now finally, make your userinit clean up on each boot, by zipaligning, sqlite3 db vacuuming, cache clearing, and have the last script kill it all.
Also, I can send some simple apps that do a little cleaning when the screen closes if you'd like.

What, if any of this, is available to a stock, non rooted user?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
What, if any of this, is available to a stock, non rooted user?
lol, exactly.

My lag though, occurred when rooted and safestrap installed. The lag was so bad, apps were virtually unusable.

Like I said earlier, I restored to 4.04 and OTA updated through Jelly Bean. I didin't even do a factory reset after it updated to Jelly Bean and it flies.

I have no idea what happened before, but something was definitely wrong.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
lol, exactly.

My lag though, occurred when rooted and safestrap installed. The lag was so bad, apps were virtually unusable.

Like I said earlier, I restored to 4.04 and OTA updated through Jelly Bean. I didin't even do a factory reset after it updated to Jelly Bean and it flies.

I have no idea what happened before, but something was definitely wrong.

So, you just grabbed the 1.10 utility, had the drivers already installed, ran the first option of that utility, and that restores it to 4.0.4? Nothing else to do?

dark_mirage

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
It's nothing to do with root, all rooting does is change permissions on a built in module, claiming that doing so causes lag is imbecilish.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
It's nothing to do with root, all rooting does is change permissions on a built in module, claiming that doing so causes lag is imbecilish.

I am not saying it's root's fault for the lag.

At all.

What I'm asking is, of all the suggestions you made, are any of them applicable to a person whose phone is stock ROM and unrooted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12