Help a frustrated teen with a gift for mom

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
I apologize for bothering you all but i am so annoyed at the moment.

I have posted this around a bit because I am a bit frustrated so much over a phone that is not even mine.

My mother broker her OG Droid Razr maxx last week from dropping it so since I am the tech guy at home she wanted my help to get a new phone...

Friday she added a line to her account....and got a GS3....She loved the phone and the colors(eye roll) but the phone had horrible reception which Samsung is known for. Call Quality was awful and she was willing to settle for it. Of course she'll settle now but i refuse to deal with her calling me for the next 2 years complaining about her phone....so i convinced her to take it back.

Monday We got a Droid DNA by HTC.....again she loved the way it looks and the colors and the sense animations(eye roll again)....Except once again she had crappy service.....it is better than the GS3 in the sense it doesn't drop calls but the call quality is crap...People can't hear her and she can't hear them.

We've already exchanged the phone once...so I am praying Best buy will let us exchange it one last time...I know they are sick of my face and I am sick of being there in best buy.

My mother is not a power user...this is partially my fault. Her droid razr maxx seem to perform well and i rarely heard her complain about it...But i wanted my mom to have a good phone that is going to be supported hence me choosing the GS3 and DNA since they were newer...but both were crap.

So it is obvious that Motorola is our best bet since where she lives it is extremely rural...trees surround the back of the house....
I have a Nokia Lumia 920 on ATT and i only get 1 bar of service but I never drop calls.....

The Droid RAZR series is what i am looking at...

However

I have been doing research on the Maxx HD and i have read about 3 issues

1. The Screen Randomly turns purple for no reason
2. There is an audible hiss with this phone when talking on it....like enough to cause issues/annoyances for her(and me).

What issues are there with the Maxx HD? Or have the issues been fixed?

jsimpson66

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Maxx for a year now, and have had no issues with it.
I have dropped it several times (Mostly it falls out of the belt holster on these occasions). I will say, though, that I try VERY hard not to drop my phone.
It has landed on corner, edge, and face on any of these occasions, and has not broken yet.
I think that the people who complain about these phones being junk just are not being very careful with them.
That being said, ask around, see if you know someone with the phone you are interrested in, and ask them their opinion. Invite them out to your Mother's house and see how their reception is.
There is no substitute for good research.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
thank you!

She only had it for 2 months(got it for christmas) but she dropped the phone at work.

A lot of the issues I read about drops were from people who claim that it happened spontaneously....Here is a thread on the verizon forum
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/773042
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/773226

I've had my Maxx for a year now, and have had no issues with it.
I have dropped it several times (Mostly it falls out of the belt holster on these occasions). I will say, though, that I try VERY hard not to drop my phone.
It has landed on corner, edge, and face on any of these occasions, and has not broken yet.
I think that the people who complain about these phones being junk just are not being very careful with them.
That being said, ask around, see if you know someone with the phone you are interrested in, and ask them their opinion. Invite them out to your Mother's house and see how their reception is.
There is no substitute for good research.

Sent from my AT100 using Android Central Forums

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
How often do you see people coming on the forum to say how great a phone is? That's correct, not often. Of course you're going to see threads about issues but this is the best phone on the market as a whole IMHO.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just bought an HD....left the OG razr maxx for a BB bold...now im tired of waiting for the new BB phones so Im jumping ship to the new razr HD...I cant wait!! *Grins* My old RAZRs were awesome...looking forward to the new HD!!

jsimpson66

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Still running strong on my original Razr Maxx, although it seems to be experiencing issues maintaining a wifi signal recently. Might have to do a reset and see if it clears up...

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox