DROID RAZR HD: 4.4.2 KitKat Update

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Per David Schuster of Motorola

https://plus.google.com/102838570385793445288/posts/8a12jqd9Jna

A number of people have been asking me about that status of the KitKat upgrade for the 2012 DROID family (HD and M). I am happy to report that we have made great progress and it should only be a few more weeks until you guys can enjoy it. So stay tuned.....

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: RAZR HD KitKat Update

Sounds good, if it fails on my wife's I will give her my rmhd

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Per David Schuster of Motorola.

https://plus.google.com/+DavidSchuster/posts/ZTjE9pzxkYJ

Hey DROID RAZR HD users... I have good news. We have started to roll out the latest version of Android KitKat 4.4.2. It will take most of this week to get it out to all of you, so you will have to be a little patient. Here are the release notes, enjoy.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/99450

• Android™ 4.4.2, KitKat?: Android 4.4.2, KitKat, is the latest release of the Android platform. KitKat includes enhancements such as restyled status and navigation bars, a new full-screen mode, color emoji support, improved closed captioning support, stronger security, smarter power use, and more tools and capabilities for better app development.
  • Printing documents and pictures: Added support for printing photos, Google Docs, GMail messages, and other content via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and hosted services like Google Cloud Print and HP ePrinters.
  • Hangouts - SMS/MMS support: Incorporated a new version of Google Hangouts that supports integrated SMS/MMS messaging. Hangouts can be set as the default SMS app under Settings > Wireless > Default SMS app.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Quick reminder. This is a rollout. Historically with Motorola, there are stages of push which ends when the update can be pulled. Your location is irrelevant so there is no need to post, "got the update here in San Diego, CA" and "still waiting for the update in Pensacola, FL".

bryan65

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Got my update today. All seems to work well. Sign in looks a little different, Text is all white now instead of black with white letters, So a few cosmetic differences. However, one major problem. I can not answer my phone, when it rings, The phone in the middle shows up. Usually you push to hit the green answer tab, But it is not working, thus I am unable to answer my phone. Anyone else have this issue, And anyone have any ideas how to help?

SLeepdepD

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Got my update today. All seems to work well. Sign in looks a little different, Text is all white now instead of black with white letters, So a few cosmetic differences. However, one major problem. I can not answer my phone, when it rings, The phone in the middle shows up. Usually you push to hit the green answer tab, But it is not working, thus I am unable to answer my phone. Anyone else have this issue, And anyone have any ideas how to help?

I answered a few phone calls... You just have to slide to the right, like before. The icons didn't show up immediately and I had to try a couple times.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

bryan65

May 13, 2014
Visit site
thanks. I never did that before. Just tapped on the phone icon then the green icon. But it worked. I just have to remember to slide to right, Hung up on someone accidentally sliding to left..lol

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just a word of warning about this update. There have been lots of problems getting it installed. If you're 100% stock with no modifications, you're likely fine. If you have root, well, I pray for you. :D Root can't be kept through this update and it interferes with the installation of the OTA in some instances. I've been helping people on multiple forums get their phones fixed so they can install this so just yell if anyone needs those instructions.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
(Reposted from another forum for a different user but the same would apply to you...you can skip installing RSD if you already have it)

Downloads:

RSD: http://www.mediafire.com/download/1eo8hfdlzok5hdy/RSDLite6.1.5.zip

FXZ: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/download.php?device=5&file=75

RSD Script Generator: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rxxf2crhlp5rx6t/RSDScriptGenerator.jar

Instructions:

Install RSD 6.1.5
Unzip the FXZ to a folder
Copy the RSDScriptGenerator.jar file to the unzipped FXZ folder
Run the RSDScriptGenerator.jar file (it's a java executable...if it doesn't run when you double click on it, fix your java install)
Select the VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-94-1_RSD.xml file in the script generator
Press generate scripts
Open RSD
Open the UNIVERSAL script we just created in your FXZ directory
Put your phone in AP Fasboot mode
Connect it to your PC using the OEM USB cable on a USB 2 port
Flash away

Once that's done you can take the OTA.

WARNING: You WILL lose root. There is no way to keep root for this update and no exploit for it, either.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Have it installed fine on my wife's HD. Took multiple times to get it to find the update. She does not like the white in the notification bar.

Posted via Android Central App nexus 7

Evan Calo

May 18, 2014
Visit site
SamuriHL.... i had the same problem as described above and i followed your instructions and it seems to have worked for me. but when i goto system updates and check for updates it says there is no update available.... i have previous to the fix received the OTA update twice and both times it failed. is there anyway i can force the update through? is there a timeout between update attempts?

any input will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Evan

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You can install the update from the sdcard. Moto's servers are being hit hard as they released like 8 updates all at once (2 for hd 2 for m and a few for ultra, mini, and maxx). I'm not at my pc right now else I'd give you a link to the update.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

richardjrdeal

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I've tried your method for getting root back and MAINLY just getting CWM as my recovery...on my unlocked XT926....using the unlockroot1.4 and it doesn't work. following the instructions to the letter. Previously, I was rooted and on 9.30.1, before that I was running the CM.11 4.4.2 by epinter and getting nightlies, I've had eclipse, carbon rom, slimkat...lost root, re-rooted, sbf'd back to stock, and so on...so I'm pretty familiar with figuring this stuff out. Got any ideas as to why it isn't working? I got the same response that fastboot was not recognized as an internal or external command blah blah blah like another person did in another post.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I've released unlocked_root_1.5 to fix the bugs. There were a few path problems beyond just flashing recovery. Should be fixed now.

Last edited:

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I posted this information in the RAZR M thread and I'll repost it here. Those who've taken the update and decide they "don't like it how do I go back"....you can't. The update is security locked and even unlocked phones have to take special care not to flash certain things when downgrading. If you've flashed any part of this update, you can't downgrade to an old version on a locked device. This has been tested already. Attempting to do so anyway will do nothing but brick your phone and require the KK FXZ (which is not released at the time of this posting) to fix it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC