kitkat battery drain?

robocp4

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So my bf got the Kitkat update Monday night on his Razr HD. He updated but now his phone wont last through the day. Its dying after like 10 hours of not being used that much either. (used to check emails, a few phone calls not lasting more than 15 min each, and some browsing on facebook) I have uninstalled bloatware, turned things off that do not need to be on but its still doing it. Has anyone else had this issue and if so what have you done to fix it?

I have not done a factory reset as I have to much vital information on the phone right now to do that.

Skiffle

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I had the same problem with cm11 (actually with most 4.4.2 ROMs).. Is the phone rooted? If so then download wakelock detector and see what is causing the problems. The official fb app is the worst culprit for battery drain as far as apps go. If you have advanced privacy settings go there and deny almost everything most importantly location (I denied all requests as it was scary how much info on your phone that crApp needs to snoop). If you can't do that you can download Greenify and put all troublesome apps into hibernation or you can use Klyph for Facebook. Change your location settings to device only or battery savings. Also check all your photos and pics for corrupted files and delete them as it will keep the media server awake scanning them.. These are just a few things I found that work and I get a full days heavy usage out of my s3 lte now. Hope this helps you. Also check xda forums for help and tips.
Almost forgot, turn off Google location reporting and disable Google now as they are not necessary (unless you get lost a lot) and eat a lot of battery power for nothing.

Posted via Android Central App

robocp4

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The phone is not rooted. It's a stock out of the box.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Skiffle

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Best root it then! If you don't feel up to it turn off location settings as I suggested and consider getting shot of Facebook and greenify other apps. Only the privacy guard and wakelock detector settings require root so follow all the other methods to save your battery. Most likely its your facebook and location settings.

Posted via Android Central App

kirnkorner2001

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue with battery drain. Yesterday after getting through half the day and only having 20% battery left, I wiped the system cache. It has helped dramatically (I'm currently at 70% after 6 hours off charger). I read somewhere that it's a good idea to wipe the cache any time after a system update. Good practice.

Instructions from Moto's website:
How do I clear Cache Partition on my device?

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + POWER KEY .

2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS

3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to SELECT

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.

4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the VOL DOWN key, then tap and release the VOL UP key.

Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 5, try a force reboot by pressing the power Key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)

7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to SELECT this option.

8. The device will then perform the partition wipe

9. Once the Formatting is complete, press the POWER key to confirm a REBOOT

11. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .

Rose Scott

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue with battery drain. Yesterday after getting through half the day and only having 20% battery left, I wiped the system cache. It has helped dramatically (I'm currently at 70% after 6 hours off charger). I read somewhere that it's a good idea to wipe the cache any time after a system update. Good practice.

Instructions from Moto's website:
How do I clear Cache Partition on my device?

This will remove any temporary files that may be causing the problem, but will not delete your files or settings.

1. With the phone powered off, press the VOL UP + VOL DOWN KEY together + POWER KEY .

2. The device will display different BOOT OPTIONS

3. Use the VOL DOWN Key to SCROLL to Recovery and VOL UP Key to SELECT

Tip: If the device reboots, you may have waited to long to make a selection, you will need to begin the process again.

4. The device will display the Motorola logo and then the Android in distress ( logo with Exclamation mark)

5. Press and hold the VOL DOWN key, then tap and release the VOL UP key.

Tip: You can try this step, holding the phone in landscape. If you are stuck on step 5, try a force reboot by pressing the power Key and Vol Down key, and start the process again.

6. The device will display additional menu options (Text will appear in BLUE)

7. Use the VOL DOWN Key to scroll to wipe cache partition and the POWER Key to SELECT this option.

8. The device will then perform the partition wipe

9. Once the Formatting is complete, press the POWER key to confirm a REBOOT

11. The device will reboot and start the normal power up sequence .

In Step #5 - I had to hold down the VOL DN key and then tap the POWER key (not the VOL UP key) but all the rest of the directions worked for me.
Thanks!

McDog3

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Just a note for some users, I had to hold the volume up key and tap the power button to get the settings to show in step #5.

rickral

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
I've tried all the above. Reset, calibrate and cache. Nothing. Disconnected the battery for a couple of hours and I can go for hours and hours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox