Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Lady Grinning Soul
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Basic setup question

There must be an obvious answer to this. but I haven't figured it out or found it.

I've just started using a RAZR HD. It had been fully reset. I've updated it to 4.4.4 KitKat.

I want to set up my Google accounts, which requires my password, which is 64 characters long. How am I supposed to get that into the device, short of tapping it in one error-prone character at a time.

I have tried putting the pw into a plain text file on my computer, then connecting the RAZR via USB and copying it to a folder. But there are no apps on the device that will open it AND let me copy it. I can find the text file using the Files app, but it opens in an HTML viewer that doesn't let me select. And I see no other apps that will open the file.

I could easily enough change the Google account pw to something short and simple, use to setup the account, then download a text editing app from Play, then open the file that contains the pw.... etc etc. But surely that's not the the only way to do this?

Given that the device has my phone number, and that my Google account also has that number, I've looked for an option that would let me use Gmail to do a "lost or forgotten password" kind of thing, that would verify my ID and then pull in the pw automatically... or something to that effect. . But I'm not finding it.

Sorry for such a basic question, but I'm at a loss here.

Default Re: Basic setup question

Welcome to Android Central! So you're still at the setup stage? Since you only have to enter the password once during the setup process, it might be best just to enter it in slowly and carefully using the keyboard. You shouldn't have to keep entering the password to use the phone.

How about saving your password as a file on Google Keep or Google Drive? You should be able to copy that string easily from those apps. The problem is if the system will allow you to paste a string into a password field--that might not be possible.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Basic setup question

Hey thanks for the reply, and for the Welcome. I ended up installing Dropbox and KeePass and did it that way. I should have thought of that to begin with since I was going to install both anyway. Seems there should be a way for the phone with a particular number to get a verified password from a Google Account that uses that very same number for secondary authentication.
    B. Diddy likes this.