Wifi speed stuck at 1 MBPS

nickriviera12

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Just got my second Droid Razr M, and I have the same problem with it.

The wifi will connect to networks, both secured and unsecured, but the connection speed is always limited to 1 Mbps. I've read about people tweaking/rebooting their routers at home to help with the issue. I don't mind playing around with my home router, but what about my work and other public wifi places like coffee shops? The same thing happens at these places- wifi speed is always 1 mbps even on unsecured wifi access points. I don't have access to their routers!

I've tried turning the phone on and off, resetting to factory settings, booting in safe mode, and forgetting then reconnecting to wifi networks- all to no avail. If I turn off the phone, sometimes when I turn it back on the wifi will connect at appropriate speeds, but after it goes to sleep, once it wakes up the wifi speed will invariably be 1 mbps. I haven't even installed any apps yet, so I don't think any apps are interfering.

Is this an issue limited to the M or does it randomly or consistently plague all of the razr family phones? This is my second razr M phone with this exact same issue (actually, the one I returned was worse in that it wouldn't even hold the wifi connection steady at 1 mbps- it would keep connecting and disconnecting).

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks, Nick

cellison1460

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I am consistently connecting to my home wifi at 48mbps. I rarely connect to any open wifi sources so I'm not sure about that.

I would guess it's the wifi sources and not your phone(s)

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

nickriviera12

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking about that- but multiple wifi sources were all showing a link speed of 1 Mbps, and as a control, other android phones using the same wifi sources would show link speeds of anywhere from 12 to around 40ish Mbps. My android tablet at home connects consistently at 65 Mbps.

Interestingly, I have enabled the motorola smart tools. I made a rule to turn off wifi when the display is off to save battery power. I wonder if the wifi being turned off periodically by this rule has some part in the problem (not initializing correctly?)

cubsfan2113

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Change your SA to leave WiFi on even if display is off and see if it makes a difference.
This is a odd problem since there are very few changeable settings for wifi. I just checked my speed and got 15mbs on WiFi with my M.

Butter smooth RAZR M running JB

nickriviera12

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the motorola smart actions was responsible. I set the smart actions to turn off the wifi when the display turned off to save battery power.

Well, every time the smart actions turned off the wifi when my display turned off, the wifi was borked and frozen at 1 Mbps link speed until I power cycled the phone. Once I disabled the smart actions rule and power cycled the phone, all was well. I am connecting at anywhere from 6 to 54 Mbps now with wifi. Thanks cubsfan!

GeoD7019

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same issue as you Nick. I just received my Razr M last week. I was able to connect to work and the speed was decent. When I got home I couldn't surf the net or get on Google Play Store. I noticed my 4g and my wifi was on. I turned off the 4g but I couldn't get online for awhile. After a half hour or so I was able to get on Play Store and the internet. The next day I tried to get on the internet, check my email, access Play Store and it was SLOOOOOOOOW. I checked my wifi connection speed and it was 1Mbps. After a half hour or so I tried again and it was zippy. It was something like 72Mbps. Then the speed dropped to 1Mbps. Most of the time it's peg at 1Mbps. That really stinks because I use my wifi heavily at home and work to keep my 4g data usage to a minimum. Now at work I'm seeing my speed on our internal wifi is 9Mbps. Then it spikes faster then falls back down to 9Mbps. But, when I connect to our external wifi router (same model as our internal) I'm connecting at 65Mbps. All the router's security at home and work is WPA2 PSK. My other phone and pocket tablet connect at the maximum speeds the routers offer. I don't have SmartActions active on the Razr M so I don't think that is interfering with my connection. It doesn't make sense. Our Verizon Rep will be at the office next week. If I can't find a solution by then I will ask him about this.

Last edited:

anon(5399614)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nick,
Had the same problem when I tried that smart action, right dow to power cycling to re-establish the faster speed. I have not been impressed with "smart actions".

Bob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699