Before you update to JB, please post your signal strength!

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Since there have been some reports of not awesome signal strength for the M versus other LTE/Droid devices, before you accept and install the JB update, could you please check and then post your signal strength while connected to 4G (assuming you have it in your area) (Settings-More (right below Data Usage)-Mobile Networks-Network Type and strength).

Please post both the 1x and 4g numbers while on ICS.

Then, after you've fully completed the JB update, please post the new numbers.

Supposedly, the info about the update mentions '3G & 4G Connectivity - Improved voice and data connectivity quality, reducing instances of losing 3G and 4G services.' As my wife wants this phone but her office alone is in kind of a deadish 4g area, I'm hoping it fixes the problem that some have been experiencing.

Thanks!

Jake Hallmark

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
ICS

1x = -63dBm
4G = -85dBm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
waiting for JB "Push"

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Jake for that. I guess what I meant was please post the signal strength on ICS right before you accept/install the JB update. Then post it again after the JB is complete.

I want to see before and after the update, rather than what today is versus a few days from now.

sandman132

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Definitely seeing a difference in my signal strength but mainly in poor areas where used to be just ok now I will lose complete signal for a few seconds.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

dki378

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
This morning I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was an update available to me. Here are my signal strength numbers before and after:
9:28am right before update:
1x = -87dBm >after 15sec> -82dBm
3g = -82dBm >after 15sec> -80dBm

9:38am right after update:
1x = -88dBm >after 15sec> -79dBm
3g = -81dBm >after 15sec> -79dBm

A few things to mention: I have no 4g at work. I tested the phone on my desk in the exact same spot before and after update. Also, the signal strength seem to get stronger after about 10secs so each time I would go to write down the first set of numbers I saw, as soon as I look back up the number is lower and remained steady. I guess this is normal behavior for this type of thing but I just wanted to share exactly what I saw.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
This morning I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was an update available to me. Here are my signal strength numbers before and after:
9:28am right before update:
1x = -87dBm >after 15sec> -82dBm
3g = -82dBm >after 15sec> -80dBm

9:38am right after update:
1x = -88dBm >after 15sec> -79dBm
3g = -81dBm >after 15sec> -79dBm

A few things to mention: I have no 3g at work. I tested the phone on my desk in the exact same spot before and after update. Also, the signal strength seem to get stronger after about 10secs so each time I would go to write down the first set of numbers I saw, as soon as I look back up the number is lower and remained steady. I guess this is normal behavior for this type of thing but I just wanted to share exactly what I saw.

Thanks for the numbers.

Do you mean that you have no 4G at work, not 3G?

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Right. I corrected it. I don't have 4G at work not 3G.

Ok thanks for the info. It seems rereading all the previous signal related posts that their 3G on ICS was OK, it was just the 4G dropping back to 3G when another LTE phone right next to it had no problem retaining the 4G signal.

Thanks again.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
My pre-update signal strength numbers:
1x = -95 dBm
3G = -90 dBm (no 4G at work)

After the update:
1x = -91 drifted to -84 dBm in about 10 seconds
3G = -85 drifted to -83 dBm in about 10 seconds