1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How bad is the camera.

Read the reviews that the camera is lacking. I'm looking for a phone to replace my HTC Thunderbolt. If it is bad, are there any ROMs that improve the camera?

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts

Default Re: How bad is the camera.

The only disappointment I have with this phone is the camera. I don't have much to compare against but my wife has an iphone4 and the camera on her phone is quicker to shoot/focus, takes better pictures indoors, and has better color reproduction. I've tried many of the camera apps available on the play store and none of them have really made a difference. If the camera is very important to you then I hate to say it but you may want to look elsewhere. The phone itself is awesome... great size, speed, battery life... only problem for me is the camera but I have accepted that part and continue using the phone.

I'm not sure about ROMs. If there was something else out there that did improve the camera, I'd be all ears...

I don't really have a problem with the camera - it isn't amazing, but it works fine for the kinds of quick snapshots where I use a phone camera. I'm not taking any important, save-forever, type photos with my phone. If I am taking "real" photos, I use a real camera. My little canon point-and-shoot is way better than any camera phone and my DSLR is another league better than that.

It really comes down to how important the camera is for you. If you use your phone as your only camera and take those all important family photos with it, then you need to look for a different phone. If you mostly want an amazing small, fast, great battery life phone that can take the occasional snapshot, the M is fantastic.

my main complaint about the camera is the hunting focus/slow capture time. i've missed a few shots of moving objects with it because of the dang focus that focuses, then unfocuses, hunts some more, focuses, partially unfoceses, and then takes the shot. it's quite annoying, but honestly i use the camera so infrequently that it's not a huge deal to me. if you are someone that takes a ton of pics with your cell and you need that functionality to be top notch, then look elsewhere. other than that i love this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by nealoc187 View Post
    if you are someone that takes a ton of pics with your cell and you need that functionality to be top notch, then look elsewhere. other than that i love this phone.
    Agreed. The latest Android Moto phones are great for excellent radios & call quality, minimally skinned Android experience, and rugged builds. Camera and displays? Not so much. At least not yet.

Camera is pretty good in decent lighting, little rough in low lighting. The shutter speed could be a little faster too, but overall I don't mind the experience.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray

Coming from D2G, I think Razr M's camera is brilliant.
    Motorola Razr M + stock Android 4.1.2 on Verizon

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

I think the camera is fine. I have taken many good quality pictures with mine worthy enough to be printed or posted online. My wife seems to think it takes better pictures than the iphone 4s I had before the M. I'm not quite sure about that one myself but it is pretty darn close. I am very pleased and happy with it.

Mine does fine but is made better using a third party app. Camera Zoom FX

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.
    You can observe a lot by watching- Yogi Berra

Take it from a professional wedding photographer. The camera on this phone is "good enough" for what it would be used for by the average user, but it will never replace any of the Nikon DSLRs that I have owned over the years. That being said and to quote Chase Jarvis, "The best camera is the one that you are always going to have with you," and bingo that would be the camera on my phone and it does a decent job compared to carrying around a Nikon D800 with battery grip and 70-200mm VRII lens around my neck all day. Is there room for improvement? Yes, there is always room for improvement in my opinion. Will it do the job? Yes it most certainly will. Well I think that is all the rambling on about the Razr M's camera I'm going to do for one night. Catch you on the flipside.
    Gunner out!
    Samsung Stratosphere----> Piece of Junk Verizon Wireless------------> Almost Worthless Motorola Droid Razr M----> Priceless

The camera is not bad at all. People that have problems rely on AUTO and use the flash. Mess with the manual settings and it works just fine.
    It's a PHONE, not a CAMERA. It will never replace a real camera.

Right on bigbaddwulf! That's the thing that most people don't realize when they buy DSLR's as well. The pictures on auto are okay but when you switch the camera into the more manually controlled modes your picture quality grows exponentially.
    Gunner out!

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums
    Samsung Stratosphere----> Piece of Junk Verizon Wireless------------> Almost Worthless Motorola Droid Razr M----> Priceless

I was getting horrible Macro photos until I messed with manual settings on the phone. You can move the white [ ] to the subject and it will focus much better. Also the little green icon can be manipulated too. It can take pretty decent Macros. It has problems with back lighting though. Haven't figured out how to help that out......yet

My advice. Mess around with the camera. You aren't going to break it. My wife does not understand this concept with about any device. She just gives up without even trying. So, take my advice and mess with it. It's kinda fun really.

Yeah indoors it's not real great but HDR helps. Makes it look a tad fake but not too much. I've had it on widescreen and it didn't occur to me that I was cutting it from 8MP to 6MP by doing that, but after putting it back on 8MP the resolution isn't too bad. Good enough for instagram lol

I think it's way better than my Galaxy Nexus. Takes awesome photos outdoors, but HDR mode makes the photos too grainy. Here's one I took yesterday

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How bad is the camera.-uploadfromtaptalk1360511743662.jpg  

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

I'm happy.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How bad is the camera.-uploadfromtaptalk1363476631555.jpg  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

I am no photographer, but that is a beautiful shot! Kinda looks better than some of the ones taken w/my S3

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by taraji View Post
    I am no photographer, but that is a beautiful shot! Kinda looks better than some of the ones taken w/my S3
    My photo?!

That was literally the first photo I took with the phone, while setting it up.. I quick point and shoot really. HDR was on.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

No offense, envy, but I was referring y to the sky/ocean pic.

Slicing thru forums on my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    358 Global Posts

I was hoping that! Haha I was going to say, my picture was really nothing special! haha

I might have thought you were a bit crazy for a moment!

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

If the camera is important to you, this is not the phone for you. Pictures are too soft, even in good lighting. And unless you are shooting something perfectly still, you'll end up with blur. I really like this phone, but the camera is a huge sticking point. If you want a good camera, go with the GS3 or iPhone... If you want good software and strong radios and can live with a mediocre camera, you'll do fine with the M.

Quote Originally Posted by paul-c View Post
    The shutter speed could be a little faster too
    I definitely agree. The shutter speed is really slow.

I have the US Cellular version (Motorola Electrify M) so not sure how different the cameras are, but I'll go out on a limb here and say the camera is HORRIBLE. I get all kinds of weird color readings. It makes everything have a blue or red cast. Awful. Unusable.