Why has my MicroSD card quit working?

Mike Derbyshire

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a 32gb class 4 ScanDisk MicroSD card for my Droid RAZR M (Jellybean 4.1.1). Everything was fine until sometime yesterday (I think). I noticed this morning that my morning wake-up alarm was not what I had set it to, but was a generic sound. I checked the settings and all my "custom" ringtones were missing. I then went to the files app & saw that the SD card read "0.00 GB available." Clicked on it and it says "SD card not found. Please check that SD card is properly inserted and mounted." Funny, seeing as I haven't removed the card since I got the phone & it was working just fine up to this point. I've tried using a card reader to plug into my desktop & the computer doesn't even recognize that there is a card in the reader. I?d hate to do it but it looks like I might need to reformat the card thereby losing all of my pictures & music. The problem is that neither my phone nor my computer ?see? the card. CAN ANYONE HELP??

usman

May 27, 2010
theazzman.com
this happened to me also.. i learned that you have to format it with the phone itself not in the computer for it to stay. i have a 64gb of the same variant as yours. hope that helps.

LTdesign

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Mine has done this intermittently to TWO cards, eventually corrupting both of them.
Actually, two phones....they sent me a replacement last week because of this very problem. The new one did the same problem.
I've read a lot about this problem actually, with other devices, and with no definite solution.
I'm about to start on my third card, with a fresh hard reset on the new phone, a full format of the card on the PC, and then a format by the phone itself on the card. At that point the card will never leave the phone itself. Maybe I can narrow this problem down somewhat. Maybe it's an app causing it or something....

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I was using a Team 32GB Class 10 card in my Razr M. It worked fine for a few months. Then all of a sudden I was getting random dismounts, but it would start working again after I took the card out of the phone and inserted it back again... sometimes it took a few tries. Today, I couldn't get it to mount at all. The phone can't see it. I plugged it into my PC and it worked there, at least long enough so that I could copy the card's contents. After some time, even the PC stopped recognizing the card. Initially I thought my phone killed it, but after reading some reviews on this card, it seems it's prone to failure within a few months, so maybe it's just a crappy card. I am now using a Samsung 32GB Class 10 card. The actual transfer speeds are slightly lower on this Samsung as compared to Team, but let's hope it lasts.

Shelicksgirls

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have SD Card = 3.69gb
in total
avaliable memory = 3.15gb

Dear Telecoms Provider

By not selecting the dismounting 'card option' within 'settings'. Am I causing damage when physically removing the card with my hands?

My 'apps' require me to properly mount the one and only (micro) SD Card. Even thou I know I have sufficient storage memory. The 'Merriam-Webster Dictionary' is only asking for 100mb.

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I had this problem about a month ago. What happened with mine is that my phone got wet and water got into the sd card slot. My phone could still read other cards but the one that I originally had in there was corrupt to the point that not even my computer could read it. I did a warranty claim thru sandisk and all is good now.

jerry d1

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem and it occurred about the same time as your post; just last week in fact. The card has been working just fine since I inserted it into the phone when new. It's a 2GB card that I had from another device. I never took it out of the phone since putting it in there. Now the phone cannot format or mount it. It states: SD card is blank or has unsupported filesystem.

This is an android problem because it seems too coincidental that everyone is having this problem with various SD cards. I will be speaking with Verizon to see if they can fix it; if not, I'm going to insist on an Windows phone. I like Android but if they keep corrupting SD cards then it's useless to me.

Last edited:

mrip

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I had this problem about a month ago after I had to do a hard reset after an update from google play music. What I did was uninstall updates in the play music app bringing it back to the factory version then do a cache wipe. If you choose to reinstall the update it works as I did but I deleted it as I prefer the factory version better. Check all downloaded apps as some info is stored on the card. Settings-apps- dowloaded or all

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Any solution??? SAME problem and I have valuable data on it!!! Restarting phone/ removing SD card did NOT help!!!

Posted via Android Central App
Put micro SD card in another device to check to see if it still working, if it is, then I would hard reset your RAZR M device.