Move apps to SD card

jaybird92

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys. I downloaded the android sdk, enabled usb debugging, and did a series of commands that I found at a website but I'm getting a strong feeling that a lot has changed since that article had been released. This RAZR M has a painfully small amount of onboard memory and with all the bloatware I have even less to work with. It'd be real appreciated if there was a work around though I was seeing that after JB it was pretty much lost.

EDIT: So I found out that my Google Play Music app was taking up over 2GB so after clearing the data it went back to it's native 14.5~ MB. I'm not real sure what I deleted. I have music in the cloud and I set some to stay on device and maybe that music saved under the app. Phone's running much better now without the hard drive dying. still would like to know how to move apps to the SD card if that's even possible still.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

holdenhenry

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. I looker to have music caching on my phone, but can't choose to keep these apps on the external sd.

Anyone have any ideas?

Considering rooting, but would prefer not to head down that road for this problem alone.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

pgw78

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I accidentally posted about it in the wrong subforum.

Short version is that I'd like to be able to move apps to and run apps from the SD card. From what I saw when I first looked into it, Motorola disabled that feature to try to head off root exploits. Ironically, not being able to do it is the exact reason I'm now considering rooting my phone.

Is there a way to do it on the RAZR M without rooting?

If not, rooting should do the job, right? If so, what would I need to do? Is there a setting I can change to enable that option, or is there an app I'd need to get? (App2SD doesn't support the RAZR M because the feature isn't enabled on the phone, but maybe it would work after rooting?)

Also, I found an article about how Motorola included a root check on previous versions of the RAZR. Anyone know if that's true on RAZR M?

netizenmt

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
At this point, I have been unable to find any way, rooted or unrooted, to enable moving apps to sdcard. This is because most, or perhaps all, such apps depend ultimately on the natively ability within the ROM. That ability appears to have been blocked in ICS and JB stock.

tedbearclaw

May 6, 2012
Visit site
When I had my bionic I used and app called app to sd I am going to look if it still exists
Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

chadlee1969

May 6, 2013
Visit site
<<Apps to the SD card>> Its just not gonna happen. I've got a M..XT907 and I'm rooted. I swear I have tried every app (watched every youtube vid) there is that allows you to move apps to the SD card and nothing works. Nothing! I wish I had known this before hand because I would've got a different phone. The Razr M has such a tiny little internal mem that this could really become a problem soon. Why they would do this (block it) is beyond me but it sucks for those of us with this phone.

If something comes up that works and someone here hears about it ....please tell us :)
~Chad

chadlee1969

May 6, 2013
Visit site
<<UPDATE>> I got a lot done with this (FolderMount) but it's work. It's not true moving of the app to the SD card but you are gettin the files over there, app storage etc so I did free up mem for sure. Just check out the link for yourself and see if ya think you'd be up for it. Be careful moving around App files of course and kind of like I said.... it is a lot of trouble. Below is link -

Link, Map, Move Internal SdCard App Folders to External

<<Apps to the SD card>> Its just not gonna happen. I've got a M..XT907 and I'm rooted. I swear I have tried every app (watched every youtube vid) there is that allows you to move apps to the SD card and nothing works. Nothing! I wish I had known this before hand because I would've got a different phone. The Razr M has such a tiny little internal mem that this could really become a problem soon. Why they would do this (block it) is beyond me but it sucks for those of us with this phone.

If something comes up that works and someone here hears about it ....please tell us :)
~Chad

mrsjrandy2

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

~Chad

I too wish I had known this prior to selecting this phone. The part that baffles me is WHAT exactly do they allow on SD card. I am unable to move ANYTHING there. If that is prohibited, then why have a slot for the card?

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I too wish I had known this prior to selecting this phone. The part that baffles me is WHAT exactly do they allow on SD card. I am unable to move ANYTHING there. If that is prohibited, then why have a slot for the card?
This issue is not specific to this particular phone. It's specific to the Android operating system. The only way to get around it is to root.

As far as what the SD card is for - it's for storing of media files (music, videos, photos) and documents, typically.

I really don't know what the issue is. I've got over 60 apps currently installed, and still have plenty of space left in the phone's internal memory for probably another 100 or 200 more. Most apps don't take up that much space. The ones that do are games. If you're a gamer, you've picked the wrong phone. Razr M is not a gaming rig (for the most part).

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
One issue the op was having was with the Google Play Music eating up internal memory space. It is annoying that you cannot have the cloud music cache to the SD card.

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
One issue the op was having was with the Google Play Music eating up internal memory space. It is annoying that you cannot have the cloud music cache to the SD card.

I've got my spotify music saving to SD card but it's impossible with Google play music. It's the only thing keeping me from switching.

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I've got my spotify music saving to SD card but it's impossible with Google play music. It's the only thing keeping me from switching.

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

The same for me. I wanted to use the All Access service. I need it to cache to save data but it would only cache to the internal memory. I have a 32 GB card and would rather use that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae