1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Lost factory navigation app

What is the default navigation app on the Razr M that has the icon that looks like the triangle arrow pointing upwards? I had it on my new Razr M and was using yesterday but now the app is missing. I still have the Google navigation app but it would be nice to get that one app back. Thanks.

Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Lost factory navigation app

Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

That's not a separate app, but just a shortcut to the navigation features of Google Maps. You can still access all navigation functionality through Google Maps or through Google Now.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Cool, thanks!

The "navigation" app was indeed truly a separate application from maps since a) it had it's own icon and b) since it stood alone in the apps directory as a selectable/deletable application. The fact that Google "killed" the navigation app and merged it with "maps" is fine, but a lot of users have been caught off-guard by the disappearance of the blue up-arrow icon!

Google should somehow notify users when operating system changes like this are made. It's very frustrating. Maybe leave the icon with a pop-up that says "swap this icon out for maps"?

Global Posts
    5,743 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
    The "navigation" app was indeed truly a separate application from maps
    False. It was never in the Play Store, never had it's own APK and was always just a shortcut to features in the Maps APK. Updates to Navigation always occurred through Maps, because there was no separate app.

The updates to the Maps app were detailed fairly thoroughly in mid May over the course of 3 days. I'm not sure they ever mentioned that icon, but it couldn't matter less. Navigation is as simple as swiping up from home into Google Now, saying, "Okay Google, navigate to '123 Sesame St' " and it's then following the turn by turn directions. That or opening the map, searching for an address and pressing the button that comes up to navigate to your search result.

Here are 11 or so pages of people trying to figure this out and explanations of how to accomplish the needed tasks.
    Navigation App missing after Google Maps Update

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

Which ever is the case, I don't like the way it functions, now.

Great news! Just go into Manage Apps, find the Maps App and uninstall the update. When it asks if you want to set it to factory defaults, do so.

It's back & working great!

Global Posts
    1,467 Global Posts
    ROM
    HTC One stock

Quote Originally Posted by DrHitch View Post
    The "navigation" app was indeed truly a separate application from maps since a) it had it's own icon and b) since it stood alone in the apps directory as a selectable/deletable application. The fact that Google "killed" the navigation app and merged it with "maps" is fine, but a lot of users have been caught off-guard by the disappearance of the blue up-arrow icon!

Google should somehow notify users when operating system changes like this are made. It's very frustrating. Maybe leave the icon with a pop-up that says "swap this icon out for maps"?
    This was announced at the same time google announce the end of lattitude. All functions including navigation were to be run through one app. I can understand the frustration of learning something new, and or a change in daily motions. But this is quite easy to learn. Takes patience.

Quote Originally Posted by epopper View Post
    Great news! Just go into Manage Apps, find the Maps App and uninstall the update. When it asks if you want to set it to factory defaults, do so.

It's back & working great!
    I did this after checking out their update to Maps and completely hating every inch of it.

happy again !!! thanks for the post