Droid RAZR M - Kit Kat Limbo List

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
"...But this is the first major Android update since Google acquired Motorola Mobility ? so the fact that there?s a limbo list to begin with is not something to ignore. Add in the fact that Android 4.4, Kit Kat, is supposed to expand support for slower, older, lower-requirement devices, and the fact there?s any devices at all in this list really stands out. Read more at the end of this article for why.

Specifically, Motorola has said that the following devices are in officially in limbo for future updates:

Sprint ? Photon Q
Verizon ? DROID RAZR, DROID RAZR MAXX, DROID RAZR M, DROID RAZR HD, and even the DROID RAZR MAXX HD
Why ? Motorola has (some) explaining, and some explanations

Devices like the Photon Q and RAZR HD, powered by the Snapdragon S4 / S4 Plus, are almost identical in terms of silicon to the S4 Pro inside the Nexus 4. The Nexus 4 is expected to receive KitKat in the next week or two. It?s a bit surprising to see the Photon Q not get the KitKat nod initially. Scratch that, it gets scorn in our eyes. It should be updated, there?s no technical why.

As to the Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX, they?re unlikely to be updated. In fact, we?re surprised they?re even listed as being officially in limbo. These devices are powered by the TI OMAP 4430, which TI has abandoned. Google leadership has stated that the abandoned OMAP 4430 is the reason the Galaxy Nexus can?t be updated to Kit Kat. Some hackers have managed to update Galaxy Nexus, and are working on the situation ? it is possible Motorola (and Google) are trying to force TI to honor contracts behind the scenes? we just aren?t betting on it.

In Europe, Motorola has confirmed that the GSM version of the Droid RAZR will remain on Jelly Bean. The domestic ?developer edition? GSM RAZR was stuck behind at Android 4.0. We think the (Verizon) Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX are likely to get Android 4.3, and that?s what is still being negotiated.

The Droid RAZR M and its HD offshoots however, that?s something we?re equally surprised by. Similar to Photon Q, there?s no publcily-known reason they can?t run Kit Kat, and no reason Google-owned Motorola shouldn?t be ardently updating them."

phonenews.com/motorolas-kit-kat-limbo-list-and-why-it-matters...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just because a device "can" or "should" get an update, doesn't mean that it will. In addition, Motorola has done some downsizing. Resources that could or would have worked on updating devices like the Photon Q, DROID RAZR M, DROID RAZR HD, and DROID RAZR MAXX HD may no longer be with the company.

And re: the DROID RAZR and DROID RAZR MAXX (might as well throw in the DROID Bionic and DROID 4), their fate was probably done in by the TI OMAP situation the Galaxy Nexus is also in.

gmkahuna

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
..what do you mean by "joke"?

Posted via Android Central App

Sorry for taking so long to answer back. Joke as in there are really not enough changes to the OS for anyone to be making such a big deal over. Hopefully it's working great for everybody but I was really not impressed with Jelly Bean over ICS for all the hype that went with it.

firepsych

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
CM11 is on it's third official nightly. If you're rooted, head on over and break off a piece of that KitKat bar.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for taking so long to answer back. Joke as in there are really not enough changes to the OS for anyone to be making such a big deal over. Hopefully it's working great for everybody but I was really not impressed with Jelly Bean over ICS for all the hype that went with it.

"Not enough changes" is a good thing - a sign of a mature OS.

taz24053

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Excellent point. Never really looked at it that way...

This is why I hate apple products. My wife had and Iphone 4S and it seemed like every week or so there was an update. One thing i like about android is that there aren't a lot of updates which means that its mature enough and only needs some updates every now n then.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is why I hate apple products. My wife had and Iphone 4S and it seemed like every week or so there was an update. One thing i like about android is that there aren't a lot of updates which means that its mature enough and only needs some updates every now n then.

lol

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
At least the apple updates keep all the supported phones working. A lot of androids go unupdated for over a year, and then the update is inconsistent between models and a disaster for many. I'd rather have all my phones updated weekly and working all the time with the latest software than have to call customer service a couple of times a year to fix the things that the latest update broke, which as been my experience.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
At least the apple updates keep all the supported phones working. A lot of androids go unupdated for over a year, and then the update is inconsistent between models and a disaster for many. I'd rather have all my phones updated weekly and working all the time with the latest software than have to call customer service a couple of times a year to fix the things that the latest update broke, which as been my experience.

I know a lot of iPhone 4 owners that weren't happy with iOS7.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance