4.4.2 KitKat: WiFi issues?

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: KitKat WiFi - issues

I plan on doing a factory reset, after KitKat install.
My M has been super laggy, lately, on 4.1.2 / 98.18.94XT907.

acedl

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Your WiFi? Seems to hate me. Soft reset or hard?

Sent from my XT907 using AC Forums mobile app

acedl

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site

Anyone else factory reset to fix wifi

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I did a wipe cache and factory reset after KitKat install.
My WiFi seems weaker and I'm getting 3G more, where I used to get 4G.
I don't recall being on 3G much at all, prior to KitKat.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

So they ruined WiFi, went from full bars to 1 bar?

Are you simply going by bars or are you noticing a slow down?

anon(5399614)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

My wifi acted the same as acedl for 5 days--very poor connectivity. Then yesterday it would no longer connect at all--I get connecting.....obtaining ip address......connecting.....etc., etc. All other wifi equipment in the house, (3 laptops and another razr m on jellybean) connect fine. Verizon tech said factory reset--I really didn't want to, but I did and no change. Went to Verizon store--They couldn't get it to connect to their wifi either. I didn't, but I should have asked them the model of their router. Mine is Cisco (Linksys) WRT54g. Called Verizon tech suppt again, and got transferred to a level2 guy. He had no answer other than it seems to be a known problem (among others) and hopefully Google will come up with a fix. I am left with a phone with no wifi (at least at home or the Verizon store!). I'll continue to try other wifi spots--maybe hit one with a different router that will work. Oh yeah, level 2 guy had me change from auto to 5ghz in advanced settings, but that did no good either. (my router is set to broadcast on channel 6,which is 2.437ghz).

Meanwhile battery life continues to suck, and if anything my phone is slower. One nice thing if you have to do a factory reset, most everything is synced and backed up so that as soon as you log in to your google account, it puts back most of your apps and settings--even remembered all the wireless networks including the ones I can no longer connect to!

BTW, I read that HTC's in Europe are getting a kitkat patch to "increase the number of supported routers"--maybe there's hope!

Bob

anon(5399614)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Forget WiFi connection and reconnect. That might work. Or you can do a reboot.

That was the first thing I tried--however I now have the problem solved, pretty much. Talked to a level2 tech at Motorola, and he told me that Kitkat was very particular about wifi security, and won't work with WEP encryption. My router's been set up with WEP for a very long time, however I decided to try changing it to WPA. Phone connected immediately. Signal strength still not showing quite as good as it showed on Jellybean, but I've had no further problems or lost connections. Now if there was a fix for the increased battery usage!

Bob

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
That was the first thing I tried--however I now have the problem solved, pretty much. Talked to a level2 tech at Motorola, and he told me that Kitkat was very particular about wifi security, and won't work with WEP encryption. My router's been set up with WEP for a very long time, however I decided to try changing it to WPA. Phone connected immediately. Signal strength still not showing quite as good as it showed on Jellybean, but I've had no further problems or lost connections. Now if there was a fix for the increased battery usage!

Bob

What battery problems are you having?

tygerman

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
My WiFi only works if the Bluetooth is off. As soon as I turn Bluetooth on and the phone goes to sleep, I lose WiFi and it will not reconnect. I turn Bluetooth off and it reconnects.

Samantha800

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I have same problem after firmware update, I'm wondering why they loves to do this with us when everything just works fine!
I hate android... I'm fed up with factory reset and fixing for problems, of course reading forums,,, dammit

Beejay Bongcaras

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm having issues too with my S4? i'm trying to connect to 2 company wifi which using WPA & WEP security but couldn't connect at all.. It only shows "Saved Secure" but nothing happens

Benjamin Martens

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issue with my Note 2 on my home network after the kitkat update. It will no longer connect to the home network unless i restart the phone every time i come home. WTF! does anyone have any suggestions? Bluetooth is off. It tells me the network is saved and refuses to connect. Yesterday I was able to force it to connect by putting it on airplane mode, connecting to wifi then taking it off airplane mode but today that isn't working either. HELP!!!!

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
After the update, my wifi connection was hit or miss. I ended up forgetting all networks under manage networks and rejoined manually. I think the backup/restore of network settings screwed up some settings. Maybe this might help. This isn't the wifi-Bluetooth issue others have.

Foxhat

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with my phone not connecting to my home WiFi. After reading your message I discovered that when I turned bluetooth off, my phone would almost immediately connect to my WiFi router. If I then turn bluetooth on again both functions continue to operate and I don't have any problem until I leave and return to my home again. Not too pleased that I have to perform this dance every time I come home, but at least it's working.

meant this as a reply to tygerman's post above. Don't know why it posted this at the end of the thread

Last edited:

Chablis Kinsella

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
My s5 connected to my wifi until last night after I installed an update from Verizon. After reading several complaints in the forums about the connectivity issue, and after trying many of them that did not work for me, I saw where someone had turned off the bluetooth and connected to their wifi. I tried it, didn't have anything to lose with that right? Surprisingly it worked! While typing this I have turned the bluetooth back on and I'm still connected. I can handle turning off/on the bluetooth to save my data plan. I saw several posts about a WEP bug. My network uses WEP, it has for years now. Yeah I know, probably time for an upgrade there. But what I don't understand, if the latest firmware does not like the WEP security then why is it listed as an option? With that said, I'm still connected! I hope this can help someone else out there. Peace!

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante