Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pizza_pablo
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How long should KitKat update take?

My phone was finally able to download the update this morning. About 50 minutes ago it started the Install. It was showing the green android guy when I left it for about 25 minutes. When I came back the screen was off and the phone was very, very hot. It is still like this. I don't want to mess it up if this is "normal", but it doesn't seem like the phone should just be seemingly doing nothing and be so extremely hot. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Global Posts
    26,523 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: How long should KitKat update take?

Quote Originally Posted by pdarrah View Post
    My phone was finally able to download the update this morning. About 50 minutes ago it started the Install. It was showing the green android guy when I left it for about 25 minutes. When I came back the screen was off and the phone was very, very hot. It is still like this. I don't want to mess it up if this is "normal", but it doesn't seem like the phone should just be seemingly doing nothing and be so extremely hot. Any thoughts/suggestions?
    That is not good, and not normal. I would take the phone into a store. I can't suggest anything to stop it, because it is still in the middle of flashing a ROM. Anything you do to stop it will most likely brick the device.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Obviously it shouldn't be that hot. While it should be finished by now. So it sounds like the process is not going according to plan, possibly in a loop, and that your device is burning up...
    Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    That is not good, and not normal. I would take the phone into a store. I can't suggest anything to stop it, because it is still in the middle of flashing a ROM. Anything you do to stop it will most likely brick the device.
    If he wants to take it into a store he'll be disconnecting it from the internet (WiFi?), effectively interrupting – stopping – the ROM flashing process...

Sounds like a no-win situation.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Since the download completed normally, would it still need the WiFi connection? I would think the ROM flashing process would be internal using the downloaded information.

I can't get it into a store today. Considering sticking it into the refrigerator to cool it down! LOL

Global Posts
    26,523 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Vsweety View Post
    If he wants to take it into a store he'll be disconnecting it from the internet (WiFi?), effectively interrupting – stopping – the ROM flashing process...

Sounds like a no-win situation.
    The showing of the 'little green android guy' indicated the download was complete. The flashing is having the hard time completing. If it weren't done downloading that would actually be safer.

Banned

Global Posts
    414 Global Posts

Considering sticking it into the refrigerator to cool it down! LOL
    I think a slow, very gradual, cooling down process would be better. Sticking it into the fridge may 'shock' it.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Any suggestions how do a slow, gradual cooling down? Just leaving it sitting there does not seem to be cooling it at all, - still really hot.

Since it was the OTA update that seems to have killed my phone. (never rooted or anything odd with it before this) is there any chance Verizon is going to replace it? I've had it for 1 yr & 8 months so am not due for a new phone until this fall.

Global Posts
    26,523 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Any suggestions how do a slow, gradual cooling down? Just leaving it sitting there does not seem to be cooling it at all, - still really hot.

Since it was the OTA update that seems to have killed my phone. (never rooted or anything odd with it before this) is there any chance Verizon is going to replace it? I've had it for 1 yr & 8 months so am not due for a new phone until this fall.
    I am wondering if it is still trying to process the update. If it stopped it should be cooling by now.
    As for Verizon replacing it, I do not know.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Well, I have progress of sorts. I gave up and stuck it in the fridge for a few minutes until it got a little cooler - still warm, but not burning up hot - and then plugged it back into the charger. Left it for a while and it suddenly started working on the update. There was a notice of "updating app xxx of 235" which looked rather promising. However, it has finished that now and is giving me an error that the "System UIDs inconsistant" and I need to wipe the data partition. Any idea what this is and what I should do next? It does not tell me how to "wide the data partition" - is that a clear cache (which I know how to do) or a total factor reset or something else?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Good news. I did some googling around and found this https://motorola-enterprise.custhelp...s-inconsistent. Went ahead with the "I'm feeling lucky" option and phone finished the update and gave me the "success" screen. A bunch of play store apps updates right away on their own. I then went into the Amazon appstore and updated apps there. Once it was all done, I held my breath and shut it down and re-started the phone. Came up completely normal with no errors. It looks like I have really lucked out here. Had a scary hour or so when I was convinced it was bricked.

Global Posts
    26,523 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Good news. I did some googling around and found this https://motorola-enterprise.custhelp...s-inconsistent. Went ahead with the "I'm feeling lucky" option and phone finished the update and gave me the "success" screen. A bunch of play store apps updates right away on their own. I then went into the Amazon appstore and updated apps there. Once it was all done, I held my breath and shut it down and re-started the phone. Came up completely normal with no errors. It looks like I have really lucked out here. Had a scary hour or so when I was convinced it was bricked.
    I'll say...lol. At least you are up and running.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

I am still laughing at the fact you put it in the fridge lol

I wonder if "put it in the fridge", will solve other instances of "bricked".
    :-D

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.