Not happy with KitKat on my Droid Razr M

Simon Nickerson

May 26, 2014
Visit site
A short list of problems after using my phone for less than one hour. Basically everything takes one more push or swipe and I have fewer options.

- No Swype. 3.99 in the app store, and no I don't want Google Keyboard. I want Swype, because it works. The keyboard sucks in general, requires additional button to use a comma.

- Can't unlock directly to phone or text anymore.

- White messenger app and no settings to change it.

- Full screen mode adds one more swipe before I can get to the home buttons (back, home, current apps).

- Can't get the home buttons to stop vibrating on press. Keyboard, yes, home bottons, no.

And if I press the Voice to Text button when I want a comma one more time I'm going to lose it. If I wanted fewer options I would have bought an iPhone. Fix this piece of [inappropriate language removed by moderators] by letting us roll back.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I agree on all points with the exception of home button vibrate. I don't have that happening.
What I do like is the responsiveness. My M was being sluggish and laggy, before KitKat.
I've found a work around for everything but screen lock shortcuts. I tried Galaxy Locker, from the play store, but it made my phone a little laggy and seemed to use too much battery. So, I uninstalled it.

Last edited:

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like nitpicks to be honest. You know you have an Android phone right? You can download and replace all the things you are complaining about.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like nitpicks to be honest. You know you have an Android phone right? You can download and replace all the things you are complaining about.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
This is the WORST UPDATE EVER. Took 2.5 hours just to get the RAZR M to work. The update was so bad I thought the phone had been hacked with a fake update, because I couldn't believe Motorola/Google/Verizon would do this to their customers. Droid/Motorola fanboys who say "everything can be fixed" are (1) misinformed, and (2) under the misconception that every RAZR M user wants to spend tons of time playing with the phone to get it to work the way it used to every time they get an update. When I get an update to the OS on my phone, I want it to be transparent except maybe for new features or improved performance. Other than that, I want it to work the way it did before. This was a *DOWNGRADE* not an update.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
This is the WORST UPDATE EVER. Took 2.5 hours just to get the RAZR M to work. The update was so bad I thought the phone had been hacked with a fake update, because I couldn't believe Motorola/Google/Verizon would do this to their customers. Droid/Motorola fanboys who say "everything can be fixed" are (1) misinformed, and (2) under the misconception that every RAZR M user wants to spend tons of time playing with the phone to get it to work the way it used to every time they get an update. When I get an update to the OS on my phone, I want it to be transparent except maybe for new features or improved performance. Other than that, I want it to work the way it did before. This was a *DOWNGRADE* not an update.

I am not misinformed. If you have complaints you vocalize them instead if just saying the update is bad. This is the Razr M forum you can always ask for help here. And you don't need to spend tons of time to get your phone to work. My moms Razr M update to KitKat worked fine and I have heard no problems from her and she didn't factory reset or anything.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I am having a hard time understanding how an upgrade leads to removing function.
IE:
Lock Screen Shortcuts
Lock Screen volume slider
Color changing status icons
Swype keyboard

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am having a hard time understanding how an upgrade leads to removing function.
IE:
Lock Screen Shortcuts
Lock Screen volume slider
Color changing status icons
Swype keyboard

Lock Screen shortcuts and Volume slider is something Motorola themselves made the conscious decision to do so for some unknown reason. But the color changing icons is not part of Android anymore. That was a Jellybean and below feature but KitKat is only more white elements through and through. You can still view color change in the swipe down settings. The swype keyboard thing is probably because Google Keyboard is nearly the same thing and maybe they didn't want to keep it.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Lock Screen shortcuts and Volume slider is something Motorola themselves made the conscious decision to do so for some unknown reason. But the color changing icons is not part of Android anymore. That was a Jellybean and below feature but KitKat is only more white elements through and through. You can still view color change in the swipe down settings. The swype keyboard thing is probably because Google Keyboard is nearly the same thing and maybe they didn't want to keep it.

Be it Motorola, Verizon or Google removing functionality does not an upgrade make, IMNSHO.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Motorola should have kept those phones on Jelly Bean.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Todd Dragovich

May 17, 2014
Visit site
The short and sweet of it is... Faster with less storage requirement. The long and sour... The possibility of root is almost does not exist, managing app permissions has gone away, quirky application closing... (Google Play, Amazon Kindle, and a few others and yes I did a factory reset). I am tempted to return the phone to verizon and let them deal with it.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
In regards to lock screen, we can just add widgets to the lock screen. Probably the reason why stuff was taken off the main lock screen. Pressing the power button to change to silent or loud is better for me anyway. I hated that the programs on the main lock screen on JB were not customizable.

As for root, its now easier than ever. Look up Towelroot.com

TeritorialDemon

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
You can go into settings and turn on Lock Screen Widgets. Solves your first issue.

I liked the black messenger as well :)

Full screen mode is awesome stop complaining

To get the comma simply hold on the period for a second.

This made my Razr M more responsive, and faster. I won't complain. Swype is just a lazy way of texting and really a stupid feature in my opinion.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I looked up why google changed the color changing icons to the plain white theme in kitkat. Apparently the blue color shifting was actually eating through cpu cycles. Hell, if getting rid of the blue results in more cpu cycles freed up for more important tasks, then so be it. That's definitely an upgrade in my book.

Also, SwiftKey is now free for the full version! They have Flow which is similar to swiping. I find SwiftKey to be better tgan swype by far.

en28so

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with kit Kat, since it gave me an opportunity to root and unlock easily!

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol