Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Droid RAZR M: New Message Flag?

I have had a problem for some time with this phone, and I'm sure it is something that could be easy to fix.

Every now and then I get a little orange flag reporting a new message but when I check my texts I have no unopened messages they are all old. So why the new text flag? What can I do to fix this?

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: Droid RAZR M: New Message Flag?

i have the same exact problem, only after upgrading my M to kitkat.
    Someone posted a similar problem over in the KitKat subforum, and I posted this repsonse:

I have a similar problem. Razr M, completely stock (never even visited the app store). Upgraded to Kitkat recently. The messanging app is all sorts of broken now. I often have that orange little flag on the home screen telling me i have 1-2 unread messages (althought its gotten as high as 7!) but when i open up the messaging app there are no new messages.

I do know sometimes my wife sends me a picture text (usualy our kids doing something funny) and will call me at work and ask if i got the picture. My orange flag will say "1" but no new text from my wife. So somehow I think something is happening maybe server-side that is causing the text messages to not display properly.

Would love to know if anyone else has any insight
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Jan842 View Post
    i have the same exact problem, only after upgrading my M to kitkat.
    Someone posted a similar problem over in the KitKat subforum, and I posted this repsonse:

I have a similar problem. Razr M, completely stock (never even visited the app store). Upgraded to Kitkat recently. The messanging app is all sorts of broken now. I often have that orange little flag on the home screen telling me i have 1-2 unread messages (althought its gotten as high as 7!) but when i open up the messaging app there are no new messages.

I do know sometimes my wife sends me a picture text (usualy our kids doing something funny) and will call me at work and ask if i got the picture. My orange flag will say "1" but no new text from my wife. So somehow I think something is happening maybe server-side that is causing the text messages to not display properly.

Would love to know if anyone else has any insight
    Sounds like we both need help, (not to mention all others who have this cell)

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paswes View Post
    Sounds like we both need help, (not to mention all others who have this cell)

Dont have a Razr M but this might help...try clearing the app data (i know the messaging app isnt a downloaded) this might help

Quote Originally Posted by Sdheller106 View Post
    Dont have a Razr M but this might help...try clearing the app data (i know the messaging app isnt a downloaded) this might help
    thanks for the thought; however i did try clearing the messaging app cache but it did not help.

HOWEVER, i did seem to find a solution that seems to work, knock on wood. I was actually trying to load up the play store to download a new messaging app b/c i was so frustrated with the stock app w/ kitkat and play store was giving me "background data" errors.

So i went to:
    Settings --> Data Usage --> click on the three squares in the upper right corner -->
    Restrict Background Data (make sure this is unchecked)
    Auto-Sync Data (make sure this is checked)

after doing that, i am now receiving all picture texts messages again. hope this helps someone

Quote Originally Posted by Jan842 View Post
    thanks for the thought; however i did try clearing the messaging app cache but it did not help.

HOWEVER, i did seem to find a solution that seems to work, knock on wood. I was actually trying to load up the play store to download a new messaging app b/c i was so frustrated with the stock app w/ kitkat and play store was giving me "background data" errors.

So i went to:
    Settings --> Data Usage --> click on the three squares in the upper right corner -->
    Restrict Background Data (make sure this is unchecked)
    Auto-Sync Data (make sure this is checked)

after doing that, i am now receiving all picture texts messages again. hope this helps someone
    This did nothing for me & I'm still having problem pls help!!!

Ditto--

RAZR MAXX HD: SMS Message notifications no longer works after KitKat update

Motorola razr maxx HD with Kitkat and out of the blue the message icon this morning says I have 11 unread messages . However, I have no new messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Wump View Post
    Ditto--

RAZR MAXX HD: SMS Message notifications no longer works after KitKat update

Motorola razr maxx HD with Kitkat and out of the blue the message icon this morning says I have 11 unread messages . However, I have no new messages.

Problem solved, Fyi-- Settings for 'Data usage' the 'Mobile Data' was toggled to 'OFF' so, there were message but they would not download until toggled to 'ON.'