I think Kit Kat 'bricked' my phone...

KathyNY76

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi, new to the forum and desperate for help...
First, let me say I am technologically inept, so if you have some advice, please spell it out for me in simple steps without all the lingo...treat me like my first grader (though she could probably figure it out better than me...)

So I had been getting this prompt to update my software and had been avoiding as it was an inconvenient time. I'm assuming it is the Kit Kat thing I'm seeing posted about recently here. I finally accepted this morning. It powered off and I tossed it in the car and began my morning errands. I saw the M glowing and figured it was starting back up so I left it in the car and went into an appointment. An hour later, the M was still there glowing. Occasionally it would disappear and the phone would go black, but then the M would reappear after a second. I did the only thing I know to do - what I call a 'reboot' (holding power and Vol - together). It also made the screen go black, but sadly the M came back with no resetting of the phone. I stopped into the VZW store and the kid basically told me it was dead. That's it. Nothing more he can do. Can't even get it to restore to factory settings. I've tried plugging it in to the wall in case it was a battery issue, the little light doesn't even come on saying it's plugged in. I tried plugging into my computer and the computer doesn't even recognize that it is attached.

So, I guess my question is...is that it? It's done? I'm a little distraught b/c it had some videos on it from old phones that were really special to me. I thought I'd backed them up to dropbox, but again, technologically inept, so I didn't actually do it right and they aren't there. And, the old phones the videos were on have since been recycled.

Interestingly, the M just disappeared as I wrote this post and the phone has stayed black...And really, a software update can kill my phone and I don't have any recourse?

Thanks for any insight you could provide!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Welcome!!

When I bricked my Motorola Photon I was still able to download the Motorola USB drivers and fix it eventually. Have you downloaded the Motorola USB drivers to your computer?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi, new to the forum and desperate for help...
First, let me say I am technologically inept, so if you have some advice, please spell it out for me in simple steps without all the lingo...treat me like my first grader (though she could probably figure it out better than me...)

So I had been getting this prompt to update my software and had been avoiding as it was an inconvenient time. I'm assuming it is the Kit Kat thing I'm seeing posted about recently here. I finally accepted this morning. It powered off and I tossed it in the car and began my morning errands. I saw the M glowing and figured it was starting back up so I left it in the car and went into an appointment. An hour later, the M was still there glowing. Occasionally it would disappear and the phone would go black, but then the M would reappear after a second. I did the only thing I know to do - what I call a 'reboot' (holding power and Vol - together). It also made the screen go black, but sadly the M came back with no resetting of the phone. I stopped into the VZW store and the kid basically told me it was dead. That's it. Nothing more he can do. Can't even get it to restore to factory settings. I've tried plugging it in to the wall in case it was a battery issue, the little light doesn't even come on saying it's plugged in. I tried plugging into my computer and the computer doesn't even recognize that it is attached.

So, I guess my question is...is that it? It's done? I'm a little distraught b/c it had some videos on it from old phones that were really special to me. I thought I'd backed them up to dropbox, but again, technologically inept, so I didn't actually do it right and they aren't there. And, the old phones the videos were on have since been recycled.

Interestingly, the M just disappeared as I wrote this post and the phone has stayed black...And really, a software update can kill my phone and I don't have any recourse?

Thanks for any insight you could provide!

Welcome to the forums.
You can try to hold power until the phone reboots.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

KathyNY76

May 28, 2014
Visit site
try a hard reboot? hold the power button AND volume down button for a long time until it reboots
Thanks. Unfortunately, that's the only thing I already know how to do and it doesn't do anything. I've been attempting factory resets today with RSD lite and flashing ROMs - at least I think that's what I'm doing! I got myself to a fastboot screen once I think - held both volumes and the power and it took me to a black screen with white writing...tried to flash some older version I'd downloaded, got an error 'Failed flashing process.' Downloaded a different version of the OS (I think that's what I'm talking about), but now it won't go back to that black screen with the white writing...
I was feeling pretty proud of myself for a while...until it didn't work!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800