Unfortunately Contacts has Stopped

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
For the last few weeks I've been getting "unfortunately contacts has stopped" but now I'm getting it every time I open my dialer to call someone. This is quite unacceptable for a phone to have the phone app crash when I need to use it. anyone run across this? 

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
nope. I'm using all stock dialer and contacts apps. could it be a texting app?
I have stock messaging
Facebook Messenger
Hangouts
and the new Google messaging app.

currently using the new google on as my main SMS.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
nope. I'm using all stock dialer and contacts apps. could it be a texting app?
I have stock messaging
Facebook Messenger
Hangouts
and the new Google messaging app.

currently using the new google on as my main SMS.
Did you do a reboot?

rbentnail

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same problem, contacts has stopped.

I've tried a reboot. Several times. The last time I left the device off for 7 hrs and when I turned it back on I let it sit for 3 hrs before doing anything.

Any ideas?

rbentnail

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Well, I tried another power down today. Left it off for a few hrs. When turned back on I let it sit for about 20 mins. Same thing, "unfortunately contacts has stopped". Only this time when I opened Dialer, contacts worked :)! Same thing with my texts. And contacts opened. Seems everything is back to normal, I'll post back if it happens again or if I discover anything.

ViolinKnits

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting the same thing, but it only happens for one contact so far. I even tried making a new contact for that person and joining them, and it still closes when I try to open it. I'm using all stock phone, contacts. Textra for texting, SwiftKey keyboard. I'm able to call, text and email this contact, just can't open their profile without a crash.

Posted via the Android Central App

rbentnail

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Happened again yesterday, "unfortunately contacts has stopped". Powered down, powered up and let it sit for 10 or so minutes. Initially contacts was still stopped but opening texting got it working again. This is getting quite annoying- what's the point of having a phone if I can't call &/or message at will?

I wonder if the service provider or location is at least part of the problem. I'm in the southeast USA with Verizon.

paularn02

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same issue on my Motorola Razr Maxx HD for a few weeks now. Frustrating! I took it to the Verizon store in Rockwall, TX and they didn't seem to have any ideas. They rebooted (which I had done), cleared the cache, which seemed to work for a while but it started again. The only difference is I may have to try 3-4 times to open contacts vs 10 to make a call. Ugh!!!!

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It may be unrelated but I keep getting "unfortunately Amazon has stopped" all the time and I've never uses the Amazon app since my last factory reset. I opened it and logged in to see if it was try to activate or something. Still doing it.

See what I mean? As I was trying to reply it just happened again.

Attachments

• 1416869967353.jpg
    1416869967353.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:

rbentnail

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm beginning to believe I made a huge, huge mistake "upgrading" to a giant POS phone.

Again this morning "unfortunately contacts has stopped". And all my contacts disappeared from my phone. Poof!! Gone. All of them.

So I spent nearly an hr at a Verizon store to find out that Backup Assistant is to back up your contacts. According to 3 different people at the store there is no way to upload from Backup Assistant to your phone. WTF is the point of backing up if you can't use the data again?

Well, you have to use "the cloud", whatever the h3ll that is. Another hour and I have "the cloud" on my phone and all my contacts are back. How they did it I don't know. But I'm going to have to find out because once again this evening my phone has wigged out: "the cloud" is no longer on my phone, contacts has stopped and about half of my contacts are gone again.

So tomorrow I'm again off to the Verizon store to try to figure out what is going on. Anyone have any ideas?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I feel bad for you guys because I have had none of these issues with my RAZR M.

Posted via Razr M on the Android Central App

JairoAnarchy

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I have been having these issues for months now. I don't lose contacts but Amazon constantly crashes in use or not. So do Contacts and Maps as well.

I strongly recommend using your Google account to backup your contacts. It's much more reliable than Verizon backup assistant.

I attribute it to the phone being a 2+ year old piece of garbage. This phone just was not cut out for heavy use.

Posted via the Android Central App

paularn02

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I've also been getting the message "Unfortunately, Beautiful Widgets has stopped working". I think I may have gotten the Amazon one once or twice. The contacts is the one that is frustrating me most! So obviously it has something to do with an update and not a mechanical problem with all our phones.

How do I back up contacts with Google? And what about all the info in Backup Assistant? Do I need to delete them all?

I'm not due an upgrade until March 11th. Too close to bail and pay early termination fee but too long to wait if my phone dies!

Last edited by a moderator:

TacoDave

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. "Unfortunately Contacts Has Stopped." It makes me try to open Contacts four or five times before I can make a call. ANNOYING.

anon(8526177)

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
It must be a bug on this phone cos i had the same problem and its really annoying. But thanks to my little experience in tech i was able to figure out what the hell is the cause.

To solve it, you have to clear your call log. If you need some of it then I recommend using 'Ccleaner'. It gives the option to choose which to clear and which to keep.

Well it worked for me, and I believe it'll work for you as well. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781