Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Build Quality?

Has anyone heard anything other than that the build quality is superb? In other words, details? I've been told the Maxx and RAZR both had great build qualities but I disagree. Panels move and creak like crazy and while it's manageable, that's my idea of a bad build. I'm hoping this doesn't suffer from the same issues as after holding the iPhone 5, I expect Motorola to step it up this time.

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Default Re: Build Quality?

My Maxx doesn't creak at all? I would expect the regular razr to creak a little bit. It is so thin that there isn't a lot of structural support. I think the battery may be helping the maxx stay so rigid. Something you may wanna keep in mind though, is the Kevlar. The material properties for Kevlar indicate a level of flex, more so than say, aluminum, or carbon fiber. This flex makes the phone more durable, less brittle and more impact resistant than Aluminum, or CF.

Sorry I went off on a bit of a tangent. Back to your original statement... If your phone has moving panels or creaking parts, maybe you should exchange. The 3 Razr Maxx phones I have dealt with (mine, my wifes, and my cousins) have all been quite solid. I would hope most are like ours but maybe we just lucked out. Also, my wife owned a Droid X2 before the maxx and that thing was rock solid as well. So I guess speaking from my own personal experiences with Moto products, I do feel like they are superb. I am yet to own anything bad from Moto.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz1-2 View Post
    My Maxx doesn't creak at all? I would expect the regular razr to creak a little bit. It is so thin that there isn't a lot of structural support. I think the battery may be helping the maxx stay so rigid. Something you may wanna keep in mind though, is the Kevlar. The material properties for Kevlar indicate a level of flex, more so than say, aluminum, or carbon fiber. This flex makes the phone more durable, less brittle and more impact resistant than Aluminum, or CF.

Sorry I went off on a bit of a tangent. Back to your original statement... If your phone has moving panels or creaking parts, maybe you should exchange. The 3 Razr Maxx phones I have dealt with (mine, my wifes, and my cousins) have all been quite solid. I would hope most are like ours but maybe we just lucked out. Also, my wife owned a Droid X2 before the maxx and that thing was rock solid as well. So I guess speaking from my own personal experiences with Moto products, I do feel like they are superb. I am yet to own anything bad from Moto.
    The refurbished units creak badly. Not just me but all my friends too. The new original ones were fine. Motorola overall makes great phones but the RAZR doesnt seem as stable build wise. I know about the Kevlar giving but in no way should all of the plastic panels creak loudly and push in. Oh well, I want the HD anyways.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Eclipse2K; 10-10-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Thanked by:
    Banned

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Pretty much all the Motorola's have creaking problems, dating back to Nextels.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by boatman11 View Post
    Pretty much all the Motorola's have creaking problems, dating back to Nextels.
    Really? My original Droid and Droid 2 had no such creaks ever.

Banned

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Really? My original Droid and Droid 2 had no such creaks ever.

Maybe it was those few models I've ever owned.... I'd like to think they've improved.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by boatman11 View Post
    Maybe it was those few models I've ever owned.... I'd like to think they've improved.
    As I said in other threads - my RAZR Maxx was great out of the box. The replacement(s) have all sucked.

Oh well. I hope the HD is an improvement.

Banned

Global Posts
    55 Global Posts

As I said in other threads - my RAZR Maxx was great out of the box. The replacement(s) have all sucked.

Oh well. I hope the HD is an improvement.

And that may be the only issue then, the replacement phones which one would assume are probably refurbished.

Maxx HD is built like a tank. Most durable phone I have ever used!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

techgeek32, I agree! I have not heard one creak or felt a moving part yet. After surveying the phone a little bit I realize why. It's heavier than the Maxx and I'm assuming because of the better materials. The top corners are covered but the bottom are not and you can see it's screwed together. I would like to believe the top is also the same way and this would be why it's so well built. Just like cars and their dashboards now, the original Droid RAZR was held in by clips thus causing creaks and rattles.

Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    Maxx HD is built like a tank. Most durable phone I have ever used!
    It's excellent, light and superbly built. It's like a NASA version of the iphone.
    killerants likes this.
    HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Had it for about 8 hours, feels as solid as a brick to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HES View Post
    Had it for about 8 hours, feels as solid as a brick to me.
    You getting a case for yours?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by blakke39 View Post

No, not a case that stays on anyways. I do want a sleeve pouch though and I'm waiting for Sena to make one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

No, not a case that stays on anyways. I do want a sleeve pouch though and I'm waiting for Sena to make one.

I'll be waiting for a thin Incipio it looks like.

HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blakke39 View Post

Yes but for my needs it will either be an Otterbox Defender, Seidio Active, or Seidio OBEX if they make one for the MAXX HD
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,606 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

What about the lock/power button. Is it loose like the maxx? Or a nice firm button?

Transmitted from the cutting edge of my electronic shaving device
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by sicario666 View Post
    What about the lock/power button. Is it loose like the maxx? Or a nice firm button?

Firm

HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sicario666 View Post

Firm. The buttons are firm. There is not anything sloppy about this phones construction.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Deleted

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

This Maxx HD forum makes it difficult for me to be patient and wait for a nexus phone!
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz1-2 View Post
    This Maxx HD forum makes it difficult for me to be patient and wait for a nexus phone!
    Why wait? The Maxx HD is very Vanilla like. You can't even remove the Google search bar on the home screen. Not much Blur is built into this phone.

Thanked by:

Default Build Quality?

The build quality of these two devices are easily the best of any current android device. Solid, well-built, and feel very premium. The metal power and volume switches are an especially nice touch. (They feel great) VERY impressed, especially since these aren't the 'new' Motorola devices yet. Also heads and shoulders above the original Razr and maxx.

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Why wait? The Maxx HD is very Vanilla like. You can't even remove the Google search bar on the home screen. Not much Blur is built into this phone.

Really? Didn't know you could do that without a 3rd party launcher. Where is that setting? Thanks!

25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
    Really? Didn't know you could do that without a 3rd party launcher. Where is that setting? Thanks!

Do what? All I said is the HD is very Vanilla like and that the Google bar can't be removed. Its not a Nexus replica but very close. Difference is a TINY bit of Blur mixed with the best battery in the industry, best build quality ever and superb cellular signal. This is the luxury car of phones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast