Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Like Tree9Likes

Default Re: RAZR HD Maxx Questions and Answers Thread

I use my Thunderbolt to tether as my only source of internet at home as I live in a rural area. I do have the unlimited hotspot plan with verizon, but find the stock hotspots app to be unreliable. I use either the open garden app or the wifi tether app.

Can someone tell me what the story is with tethering on the Maxx HD as this is one of the most important features of a phone for me. Can I use fox first with this phone or is it incompatible?

Or, if I root, will the wifi tethering app work? What about Open Garden? Thanks for any replies here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Foxfi worms well on my phone but some have problems with it

I use a battery app called Battery Notifier Pro.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vgs.batterypro

Besides putting a nice BIG number in the notification area, it keeps you posted regarding your phones temperature. You can customize the percent number from green, to blue to orange to red. You get to pick the colors and percentages. You also have options to download different fonts and number colors and background colors.

Many battery apps are nice, I just happen to like this one.

Good luck all.
    dirkbonn
    The government can't give you anything until it first takes it from someone else.

Swype to the "Quick Settings" Page; select "Go to all Settings"; Scroll down and choose "Apps PERSONAL"; choose "ALL"; scroll down to select "Google Search" and then "Disable"

This removes it from the home screen and all other screens. It DOES NOT free up screen space though :>(

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix111 View Post
    I use my Thunderbolt to tether as my only source of internet at home as I live in a rural area. I do have the unlimited hotspot plan with verizon, but find the stock hotspots app to be unreliable. I use either the open garden app or the wifi tether app.

Can someone tell me what the story is with tethering on the Maxx HD as this is one of the most important features of a phone for me. Can I use fox first with this phone or is it incompatible?

Or, if I root, will the wifi tethering app work? What about Open Garden? Thanks for any replies here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    You can directly USB tether with the Maxx HD. In settings its right there. The tethering option will be highlighted once you connect your USB to your PC.
    I use that way with my laptop. For Netflix or tethering our Xbox and nexus7 I use foxfi flawlessly. I'm in a rural area as well

And you are charged for doing it that way if you have unlimited data plan right?

Quote Originally Posted by recDNA View Post
    And you are charged for doing it that way if you have unlimited data plan right?
    I am still on the old unlimited plan and do not pay extra for tethering in any way. I do not pay for the hotspot option either

Oh, that's good to know. I always thought vzw started charging you as soon as you tethered if you used the built in tether rather than a play store app or rooted rom option.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #134  

Oh, that's good to know. I always thought vzw started charging you as soon as you tethered if you used the built in tether rather than a play store app or rooted rom option.
    You must add the $30 feature before the built in application can be used. You will be charged for using it though.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    You must add the $30 feature before the built in application can be used. You will be charged for using it though.

I could be wrong. Part of the reason verizon switched to the data share plans was because of the FCC deal they swung to aquire more bandwidth in which the FCC mandated that they make it available to consumers at fair prices. People on the unlimited plan that were charged for hot spotting broke that agreement.
    In changing to the data shareplan, that ran with the FCC arrangement and satisfied the fed. In changing that plan, the FCC made verizon give their previous unlimited plan customers the option to switch to the new plan or remain in the unlimited plan for x amount of time or renew their contracts. People that remained grandfathered in the unlimited plan weren't charged for hot spot or tethering... which is what I'm in.

I am not currently charged for USB tethering which is built into the functionality of the Maxx HD. For those in the current data share plan you do have to pay the $30 fee for hot spot or tether.

I'll see if I can find that article referring to the FCC vs verizon.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #136  

Quote Originally Posted by myRT View Post
    I could be wrong. Part of the reason verizon switched to the data share plans was because of the FCC deal they swung to aquire more bandwidth in which the FCC mandated that they make it available to consumers at fair prices. People on the unlimited plan that were charged for hot spotting broke that agreement.
    In changing to the data shareplan, that ran with the FCC arrangement and satisfied the fed. In changing that plan, the FCC made verizon give their previous unlimited plan customers the option to switch to the new plan or remain in the unlimited plan for x amount of time or renew their contracts. People that remained grandfathered in the unlimited plan weren't charged for hot spot or tethering... which is what I'm in.

I am not currently charged for USB tethering which is built into the functionality of the Maxx HD. For those in the current data share plan you do have to pay the $30 fee for hot spot or tether.

I'll see if I can find that article referring to the FCC vs verizon.
    The FCC mandated that Verizon could not tell those on data capped plans such as 2 GB how they can use their data. While the hotspots still cost money I believe, using third party apps wasn't against the rules. Unlimited plans, however, still must pay. Third party apps are against the terms of Verizon. Share Everything plans use the same data though but I'm not sure how it truly works with a hotspot. I know you pay per device but I'm not sure on tethering cost if any.

I actually called vzw and asked if it was alright to use foxfi. The girl said it was ok. I told her i had unlimited data and thought it wasn't allowed but she kept saying it was fine. On the other hand I have gotten bad info from their reps in the past so it's hard to trust them.

The FCC mandated that Verizon could not tell those on data capped plans such as 2 GB how they can use their data. While the hotspots still cost money I believe, using third party apps wasn't against the rules. Unlimited plans, however, still must pay. Third party apps are against the terms of Verizon. Share Everything plans use the same data though but I'm not sure how it truly works with a hotspot. I know you pay per device but I'm not sure on tethering cost if any.

Ah gotcha. Thanks for correcting me there eclipse. I knew it was something along those lines.
    I've tethered via USB a lot and haven't been charged. When I had my Maxx a while back the action prompted the you must sign up option from what I recall but that hasn't come up with the HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Helloneumann View Post
    I haven't experienced any wifi issues.
    I haven't had any problems so far!

Ah gotcha. Thanks for correcting me there eclipse. I knew it was something along those lines.
    I've tethered via USB a lot and haven't been charged. When I had my Maxx a while back the action prompted the you must sign up option from what I recall but that hasn't come up with the HD.
    How did his explanation help? According to him we have to pay?

How did his explanation help? According to him we have to pay?
    His correction was to me about the FCC ruling against verizon.

All I can say is I'm grandfathered into unlimited and am not being charged for hotspots (I use foxfi not Verizon's hotspots) or for tethering via usb
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #142  

His correction was to me about the FCC ruling against verizon.

All I can say is I'm grandfathered into unlimited and am not being charged for hotspots (I use foxfi not Verizon's hotspots) or for tethering via usb
    FoxFi will work for free because its third party. As for USB, I never tried but if it works for you than its all good.

FoxFi will work for free because its third party. As for USB, I never tried but if it works for you than its all good.

I know that but since I have grandfathered unlimited data am I in trouble with vzw if i use it?

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts

I know that but since I have grandfathered unlimited data am I in trouble with vzw if i use it?
    No you are not in trouble. You can download whatever apps you want and use them however you want on your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by qisdtech View Post
    The HD and Maxx HD do support the 64GB cards as well. I have one in mine
    Good to know
    How is your card formatted?
    NTFS or FAT32?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #146  

No, just don't use 100 GB a month and they won't know. The issue is when someone goes over as if it's a PC. Verizon prohibits it but everyone does it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirkbonn View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a way to have the percentage of battery remaining be displayed in the notification bar at the top of the display? I finally gave up looking and installed Battery Notification from the Play Store. I like having it there so my battery info is known to me at all times, and I didn't have to return to the home screen to check on my battery life.

I realize this isn't an earth shattering problem cuz the battery in our Maxx HD's is a beast and lasts an incredibly long time, but I got used to having it on my Droid X.

Patiently waiting for the release of my next smartphone in the Summer of 2014!
    You could always just get a battery widget.
    I like Gauge Battery Widget

link:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...XR0d2lkZ2V0Il0.

Last edited by leblabbiy; 11-10-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leblabbiy View Post
    You could always just get a battery widget.
    I like Gauge Battery Widget
    Yeah, that's what I did. I installed Battery Notification Pro from the play store. I like it because I can change the colors of the percentage left numbers. I start it out at green and change it to blue, orange, and finally red as I approach 10% battery left. It also checks the phones temperature.

here's the link to it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tterypro&hl=en

But everybody likes different things, this just happens to be the one I like.
    dirkbonn
    The government can't give you anything until it first takes it from someone else.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456