Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Moving Google Play Music from internal storage to SD card

Hi All. So made all made all my play music available offline now I want to move it to the SD card. Only problem is I can't find the music. I looked everywhere (or so I thought)

Any idea where this is stored? I did a search in Astro for everything from .mp3 to the artist name and it's nowhere to be found.

Thanks!
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Default Re: Moving Google Play Music from internal storage to SD card

Anyone? I've checked all folders and they're empty. Music data and cache folders.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Greetings, program!

Global Posts
    1,236 Global Posts
    ROM
    rooted Nexus 5

See if it's in your media-->music in your internal SD. That's how it used to store with my phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket using AC Forums
    Google Nexus 5--rooted
    HTC Nexus One--my first Android (still alive and kicking)
    HP TouchPad--dual-boot and ported CM10.1
    Pebble smartwatch
    Nike+ SportWatch GPS
    MacBook Pro--guilty pleasure
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
    See if it's in your media-->music in your internal SD. That's how it used to store with my phone

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket using AC Forums
    Thanks I checked there as well but it's still in the Bermuda triangle. Lost. I thought there was a bug at one time regarding missing files with the Google Music I could be mistaken though.

Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,602 Global Posts

Google music cache can only be in the internal storage. The app does store the songs as mp3 but it also renames the files.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    Google music cache can only be in the internal storage. The app does store the songs as mp3 but it also renames the files.
    Wow that's disappointing. Thanks for the info though. I'll stop driving myself crazy now.
    Guess I won't put more than 10 gb of music on my phone then.

Play finds music on the SD card. I swapped the card from my old phone and it found it and plays it. There's got to be a way to export the music, maybe to a PC, and then to copy it to the card.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Play finds music on the SD card. I swapped the card from my old phone and it found it and plays it. There's got to be a way to export the music, maybe to a PC, and then to copy it to the card.
    That it does, but it seems to have issues with downloaded play lists. If play lists aren't a big deal then mp3s on the external are not a problem.
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

ROM
    Harmonia 2.07

I'd be real interested in hearing the answer to this one, myself. Spent most of last night searching for those offline files without success. I found several suggestions through a Google search, including /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music/ but my offline music couldn't be found there. A real drag because my internal storage capacity had dropped dramatically and I suspect it was those offline music files. Since I couldn't find them, I had to uninstall GPM and reflash my rom. Huge pain.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Quote Originally Posted by LaFlamme View Post
    I'd be real interested in hearing the answer to this one, myself. Spent most of last night searching for those offline files without success. I found several suggestions through a Google search, including /data/data/com.google.android.music/cache/music/ but my offline music couldn't be found there. A real drag because my internal storage capacity had dropped dramatically and I suspect it was those offline music files. Since I couldn't find them, I had to uninstall GPM and reflash my rom. Huge pain.
    Others are using large SD cards for music and movies. So ....... are there other players better suited to SD card music and movies? Also the issue of finding files is rather important. Some help from the forum gurus wold be much appreciated. Someone must know these secrets.

I have given up on trying to find the files. Pretty frustrating to having a 32 GB card for just movies and music and not being able to put it on there directly from the phone. PITA to have to download it to the computer and transfer it manually.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Quote Originally Posted by DennisOS2 View Post
    Others are using large SD cards for music and movies. So ....... are there other players better suited to SD card music and movies? Also the issue of finding files is rather important. Some help from the forum gurus wold be much appreciated. Someone must know these secrets.
    As long as there are apps that will read/write/play files on the card. I have to believe that there are players out there that will work just fine. I just want to find the files we should (music) be able to find internally. The

I am not a guru, and but I do know how to use the search feature in astro.... See the attached screen shot for the path.... This is where Google Play Music stores your music for offline playback, and but good luck figuring out the naming conventions... Moving Google Play Music from internal storage to SD card-uploadfromtaptalk1353120070380.jpg

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Quote Originally Posted by chevrolet.racing252 View Post
    I am not a guru, and but I do know how to use the search feature in astro.... See the attached screen shot for the path.... This is where Google Play Music stores your music for offline playback, and but good luck figuring out the naming conventions...

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Android Central Forums
    Interesting. I have that directory. When manually moving music from the PC to the Razr I (like the novice I am) moved to the "Music" folder of the root. The files were all WMA format files. The Play Music app (and its widget) found them immediately and could play them. When I found out how large the WMA files were compared to AAC I deleted all and ordered a 64GIG SD so I could put a reasonable amount of music on. What I didn't do is look at the file location(s) when they were on the hand-set to determine what folder they were really in once internal storage was exceeded.

Now I have to ask an even MORE basic question ............. on a 32GB Zazr from the factory: is that 16GB internal with a 16GB SD card? I can't tell from the file manager.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisOS2 View Post
    Interesting. I have that directory. When manually moving music from the PC to the Razr I (like the novice I am) moved to the "Music" folder of the root. The files were all WMA format files. The Play Music app (and its widget) found them immediately and could play them. When I found out how large the WMA files were compared to AAC I deleted all and ordered a 64GIG SD so I could put a reasonable amount of music on. What I didn't do is look at the file location(s) when they were on the hand-set to determine what folder they were really in once internal storage was exceeded.

Now I have to ask an even MORE basic question ............. on a 32GB Zazr from the factory: is that 16GB internal with a 16GB SD card? I can't tell from the file manager.
    No. A 32GB phone has no SD card.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Thanks! So ......... we fill internal storage with movies/music. Where then are these kinds of files placed out on the external SD card. Or can music / movie players be pointed to any folders on the SD cards where these files might be located?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

You set up your SD card and have the music/movies (except Google Play) point to it and tell it to store the files there.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Many thanks! My 64gb card arrives Tuesday. Hope to have music on it soon after that.

What do you mean by "You set up your SD card..."? I just bought a 32GB Class 10 card for my Maxx HD. I installed it but is there something else I need to do to set it up?

The way I set mine up is that I set up folders under the extCard directory. 1 for Music, 1 for Photos, 1 for Videos. And I directed the corresponding apps to save to these locations.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

The 64gb card arrived Tuesday. Popped it in the SD slot, hand-set immediately saw it as an unsupported drive (needing formatting). I Formatted with the phone (took seconds) and had ~59gigs of space. Made a ton of directories with the file manager for future file storage. Plugged the hand-set into my PC. Used Explorer to copy entire folders (~25gb) from the PC to the appropriate sub-folder on the SD card. Once done disconnected the phone from the PC. Started the Play Music app and it immediately found the files in the SD card. And these are all AAC (m4p) format. Haven't played all of the albums yet but sampled 2 or3 and they played just fine.

Also copied an eBook in MP3 format (~220mb). That also played flawlessly from the SD card using Play Music.

Playing music from an SD card is not the issue. It's when music is purchased on the Google Play store via the phone or internet it goes into the phone's storage and not the SD card.

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS

Quote Originally Posted by surebuttercringe View Post
    Playing music from an SD card is not the issue. It's when music is purchased on the Google Play store via the phone or internet it goes into the phone's storage and not the SD card.
    Once purchased and dL'ed you can't move it to the SD card? Or purchase on your DT/LT/NB/T then move to the SD card? Man, doesn't that impossible.

Once purchased, you can download it from Google Play internet and put it on a computer. Then you can can transfer it to the SD card. It's not that it's all that hard to do, it's just a pain in the **** and sucks because it can't be done from the phone itself.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

I figured out a sort of simple way, like surebuttercringe said download it to your computer from Google Play. I then uploaded to Dropbox, then exported to my external SD card music folder. A little cumbersome but simple enough!
    LindaCC likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast