Battery Testimonials

dirkbonn

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I picked up my Maxx HD about a week and a half ago and so far the battery has been an absolute beast. I had an "X" before and I had the extended battery. I would consider myself a light to medium user but of course with the set up and downloading of apps and just playing with my new toy, I used battery more than I would normally, and it's still a beast. I probably didn't need the maxx but I feel it's better to have to much and not need it than to have to little and need it. I'm sure I'll have no problem going 2-3 days with my normal usage.

One side note, When I use GPS, I always have it plugged it to my car charger. It does charge but very slowly. What I'm saying is that the car charger barely keeps up with the battery usage when using GPS. This is because the phone is constantly using the GPS receiver and the phone is constantly updating the Google maps.

A little info that I've learned about batteries in the last couple months. The maxx HD has a Litium-ion polymer battery. Part of the reason Motorola used this battery is because it doesn't require a hard case and as such it is somewhat soft and it's for this reason the battery in not user replaceable. Being that the battery is soft it can fit into odd shaped cavities and therefore you can have a bigger battery that doesn't take up as much space as a normal "hard cased" battery. This allows the manufacturer to have a bigger battery (mAh wise) and keep the overall phone size a small as possible.

Also there is some thought the Lit-ion Polymer batteries can have up to 1000 charging cycles and still retain 80% of its ability to retain a charge. The Litium-ion battery is certified for 500 charging cycles and retains 80%.

A charging cycle is considered from 100% to 0% and back to100%. So if you recharge your battery when it gets down to 50%, (100% to 50% to 100%) you could do this cycle twice and it would be considered 1 charging cycle. The polymer battery does not have any memory retention and as such does not require "training" so to speak.

For anyone interested here is a website that has more info about batteries than you can "shake a stick at".

Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Now I'm just patiently waiting for the release of my next smartphone sometime in the Summer of 2014! :cool:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Here's my latest. Mix of wifi and 3/4g. Stationary I can hold 4g but traveling switches to 3g about 1/2 of the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352129787916.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352129787916.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 51

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Just plugged mine in after 58 hours and 14% remaining of light to moderate use. I didn't think I needed this size battery, but I think I was just conditioned to always having my phone around a charger. Now that I see the kind of life you can get out of the phone with the bigger battery, I don't think I would want to go back.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Not heavy usage by any means but this battery is unbeatable. I left for work at 8AM and by the time I left my battery was still 90%.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352359674098.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352359674098.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 46

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had downloaded the Chicago Bears application and the push notifications drained my battery horribly. My phone was at 9% after 16 hours. After I uninstalled, my battery is back to the average of 70% to 80% by days end. Amazing what some applications will do.

duff1914

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I was curious if anybody is having issues with slightly increased battery drain after charging phone to 100% and then once I power it down and power back up the battery seems to drain like it normally does.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Android Central Forums

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have the smart actions set that when my screen times out it shuts all connections down. It still allows calls and text messages. Juice defender also works. I easily get 50+ hours.
Usually a mix of 3/4g and wifi. I would guess 3g 25%/4g 50%/and 25% wifi.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352561699413.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352561699413.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 43
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352561717963.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352561717963.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 203

RetiredJedi

Jul 13, 2010
jedi-soljah.iwarp.com
I have the smart actions set that when my screen times out it shuts all connections down. It still allows calls and text messages. Juice defender also works. I easily get 50+ hours.
Usually a mix of 3/4g and wifi. I would guess 3g 25%/4g 50%/and 25% wifi.

This may sound like a dumb question but I am getting this phone this coming Saturday (17 Nov 12) and this is my first dealing with the smart actions and Motorola for that matter. I am coming from the Thunderbolt so could you be specific on what "all connections" you turned off on screen timeout so that you can still get calls and texts?

Thanks

Last edited:

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
No that's a great question actually.

The smart actions app will allow you to set up several actions. I have triggers that when my screen times out and I am unplugged, it turns off all data connections. Background sync shuts off, brightness is set to smart, gps shuts off and mobil data shuts down.
All calls and texts still come through. I don't see the point of a bunch of apps running in the background unless I choose them to. Plus 3 days of battery life is awesome. I attached a screenshot. I would guess I was connected 50% wifi, 40% 4g, and 10% 3g.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, glad to help.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352770928301.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352770928301.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 65

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
No that's a great question actually.

The smart actions app will allow you to set up several actions. I have triggers that when my screen times out and I am unplugged, it turns off all data connections. Background sync shuts off, brightness is set to smart, gps shuts off and mobil data shuts down.
All calls and texts still come through. I don't see the point of a bunch of apps running in the background unless I choose them to. Plus 3 days of battery life is awesome. I attached a screenshot. I would guess I was connected 50% wifi, 40% 4g, and 10% 3g.
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions, glad to help.

I must not understand why so many are against charging each night. I would rather leave data on and get a day.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I must not understand why so many are against charging each night. I would rather leave data on and get a day.

Why not get 3 days if you can. For me it was the whole reason to buy this phone. Battery life, build quality and screen size. These were the most important things in that order.

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My battery is always still over 70% when I get home from work around 6 PM. That's pretty cool. Having that overkill battery makes you not have to worry about it at all, which is nice.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Why not get 3 days if you can. For me it was the whole reason to buy this phone. Battery life, build quality and screen size. These were the most important things in that order.

I agree with you on the top three things but I just want the battery to guarantee a whole day no matter how I use it. As long as I don't need to find a charger while I'm out it's okay. That's why I charge at night - so I never worry.

mobrules

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you on the top three things but I just want the battery to guarantee a whole day no matter how I use it. As long as I don't need to find a charger while I'm out it's okay. That's why I charge at night - so I never worry.
I agree with that!!!!!!!

edneum2

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone running several widgets simultaneously with automatic updates? Has anyone tried to push the boundary on just how much you can use the phone in a single day without a charge

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

OMG!!!! I cannot WAIT to get this phone. the HTC DNA, while it has great specs, ruined it with the battery being so small. I work two jobs, so I do not have constant access to a charger all day long. not to mention, 4.7 is the largest screen I ever want to get on a smartphone. anything larger, it's gonna be a tablet. it's gonna be a long 7 months for me.....

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
OMG!!!! I cannot WAIT to get this phone. the HTC DNA, while it has great specs, ruined it with the battery being so small. I work two jobs, so I do not have constant access to a charger all day long. not to mention, 4.7 is the largest screen I ever want to get on a smartphone. anything larger, it's gonna be a tablet. it's gonna be a long 7 months for me.....

I really love this phone as it's my link to my life lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar