Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Default Re: [Guide] RAZR MAXX HD Root Method

Trillianprefect, I bought a used maxx HD that someone factory reset and had this same problem. I could force my way past the constant android screen by pressing all three buttons upon booting to access the recovery menu. Then from there I think I selected safe mode or another option and got it to boot up normally. That is not to say this fixed the problem though. I found that anytime I rebooted the phone (either from trying to install the update or just simply shutting down) I would end up back at the green android firmware install screen and would have to repeat the process. And after every time of this it would wipe my phone clean. I thought I was stuck with a dud but I was saved by a helpful guy at the Verizon store.

At first I thought they were gonna let me get away with a swap out but he managed to get it working. He said he powered the phone off while holding all three buttons (power, volume up, volume down) and this also acted like a factory reset. Then again had to see the android guy and it was almost a 20min wait (also to note there was no progress bar which is usually seen on this screen). After it rebooted and reactivated everything worked fine. I've rebooted the phone several times and even safely installed the update (I don't plan to root yet and hope a new method is available down the road).

Anyway best of luck, sorry for the long winded response.

Quote Originally Posted by sitsambry View Post
    Trillianprefect, I bought a used maxx HD that someone factory reset and had this same problem. I could force my way past the constant android screen by pressing all three buttons upon booting to access the recovery menu. Then from there I think I selected safe mode or another option and got it to boot up normally. That is not to say this fixed the problem though. I found that anytime I rebooted the phone (either from trying to install the update or just simply shutting down) I would end up back at the green android firmware install screen and would have to repeat the process. And after every time of this it would wipe my phone clean. I thought I was stuck with a dud but I was saved by a helpful guy at the Verizon store.

At first I thought they were gonna let me get away with a swap out but he managed to get it working. He said he powered the phone off while holding all three buttons (power, volume up, volume down) and this also acted like a factory reset. Then again had to see the android guy and it was almost a 20min wait (also to note there was no progress bar which is usually seen on this screen). After it rebooted and reactivated everything worked fine. I've rebooted the phone several times and even safely installed the update (I don't plan to root yet and hope a new method is available down the road).

Anyway best of luck, sorry for the long winded response.
    Right after I posted, I called VZW. A helpful person told me to do the exact same thing. Waited forever and it worked just like you described also. I'll also wait for a new root update method. But for now I am glad I got my phone back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by trillianprefect View Post
    Right after I posted, I called VZW. A helpful person told me to do the exact same thing. Waited forever and it worked just like you described also. I'll also wait for a new root update method. But for now I am glad I got my phone back to work!
    So I just tried the same thing and it's back up and working on my end too. Now, question.....I still have the superuser app on here and don't know how to get rid of it. Although, the phone is working normally I don't think i'm rooted anymore because I did the OTA update the other day.

I now, I was extremely scared myself since I had essentially had no security from buying straight from retail. But it worked and now I'm loving this phone. Plus I saved a few bucks to spend on accessories.

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by trillianprefect View Post
    Did you tell the Verizon person you rooted?

- - - Updated - - -

So after its rooted, are there some JB roms to flash? I do miss JB coming from my Gnex.

Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    Did you tell the Verizon person you rooted?
    No. I did not want to get into a yes/no warranty/support argument.
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

I tried to root but all my device does is reboot after the button sequence. Suggestions?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
    ***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD
    AndroidSkull

Global Posts
    3,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vitreous,JellyBelly,OEM

Somebody...anybody?

***GET IN WHERE YOU FIT IN***
    Snitches get stitches
    Boneyard-D1,Dinc,dX,Gtab7",Tbolt,iPad1,Bionic,Xoom,iPad2,Charge,GNexus,SGS3,Razr Maxx,Nexus7...the list shall continue
    Living Dead-iPad3,GalaxyNexus,Razr MaxxHD

Quote Originally Posted by sicario666 View Post
    Somebody...anybody?

Check over on Rootzwiki, there's a major thread on there.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,968 Global Posts

GUIDE UPDATED WITH NEW WORKING METHOD... from Rootzwiki
    Thanked by:

Do you need a SD Card to update to jellybean, I have the Razr Maxx HD with no SD but was planning on getting. I just noticed it said to select update from SD Card.

Quote Originally Posted by rightushook View Post
    Do you need a SD Card to update to jellybean, I have the Razr Maxx HD with no SD but was planning on getting. I just noticed it said to select update from SD Card.
    I believe that you need an external SD card in order to do it. The file isn't that large so even if you get a small one that costs like $5-10 you'd be fine.

I can CONFIRM that the new method works to restore to stock/root and install Jelly Bean and keep root the entire process. Up and running with Jelly Bean and root access. Only thing that I would say to do is once you restore to stock OS is wipe data.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

After installing the JB update, should I do a factory reset or cache wipe from within the recovery screen, simply 'erase everything' in Privacy, both or neither?

Thanks again for all who contributed to making this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    After installing the JB update, should I do a factory reset or cache wipe from within the recovery screen, simply 'erase everything' in Privacy, both or neither?

Thanks again for all who contributed to making this happen.
    Dont really need too, this is basically the OTA that is going to be released from Verizon so no need to wipe anything. Only reason that I had to wipe everything was because I had to restore back to factory get root access back.

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: [Guide] Root and/or Load JB on RAZR HD & HD MAXX

So how do I do this on a Mac? I see that Mac file there, but its a .7z file and neither I nor my computer seem to have a clue how to open it or what to do with it.

Global Posts
    1,038 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

If I am rooted with the JB leak. How do I do a factory reset that will restore any build.prop problems I may have created? BTW, recovery reset & cache wipe didn't work.

Thanks!

After running recovery the option I don't see the option to install jb from SD card. Any ideas?

So how do I do this on a Mac? I see that Mac file there, but its a .7z file and neither I nor my computer seem to have a clue how to open it or what to do with it.
    May not be a Mac utility yet for the cmd prompts. You don't need to be rooted if you want jellybean or need to follow these steps if you just want to flash Jelly Bean leak. If you want to flash the Jelly Bean leak and you are on the newest OTA then you just need to download the update zip to your external SD card and boot into recovery and install through there.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamliner View Post
    If I am rooted with the JB leak. How do I do a factory reset that will restore any build.prop problems I may have created? BTW, recovery reset & cache wipe didn't work.

Thanks!
    Recovery factory restore didn't work? You might have to use the utility to wipe your phone all the way back to original OS.

Quote Originally Posted by tnesseth View Post
    After running recovery the option I don't see the option to install jb from SD card. Any ideas?
    Is it on your external SD card or did you place on the internal memory?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    May not be a Mac utility yet for the cmd prompts. You don't need to be rooted if you want jellybean or need to follow these steps if you just want to flash Jelly Bean leak. If you want to flash the Jelly Bean leak and you are on the newest OTA then you just need to download the update zip to your external SD card and boot into recovery and install through there.
    Really?? I thought you had to be rooted for it. So what will rooting get me as far as this goes? The directions in Post #1 for installing JB seem to say that I have to be rooted.
    creccaj1 likes this.

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Ah, nevermind. I got JB leak installed. Thanks for letting me know it was possible!
    creccaj1 likes this.

I actually wasn't 100% about flashing the Jelly Bean leak if root was necessary or not a until a couple days ago. Wasn't really researching much into it but someone mentioned to me that you didn't need root for it so I was intrigued and that's when I did some digging and found out you don't need root. You just need root before you flash the leak if you want to keep root after you flash the leak.

Global Posts
    1,431 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

So will I still get OTA updates (like the official JB) when it comes out with the leak installed on my non-rooted phone?

So will I still get OTA updates (like the official JB) when it comes out with the leak installed on my non-rooted phone?
    Should!

I did the root process and realized I need a micro SD card to cont.
    What do I do in the mean time to unroot this thing?

Fast boot restore?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast