[Guide] Root and/or Load JB on RAZR HD & HD MAXX

ohnoitsace

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I got the OTA Update today and I lost root. I'm going to try to re-root it today.

Update: I was unable to re-root. My phone was originally rooted using this method for 4.04. I waited for the OTA Update to apply and then attempted to re-root using this method. I suggest applying the JB update manually to avoid losing root.

Last edited:

Sam Woodson

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I received my Jelly Bean OTA today. Since I installed JB OTA, my Amazon App store no longer works. I uninstalled, rebooted, no luck.

Last edited:

trucker dave

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Have rooted about 6 motorola phones in the last year, 4 of them using Matts utility...for the life of me I cant root this Droid Razr maxx HD. Has anyone else had problems.

Wizzer2801

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys.

Had root shortly after I bought my Razr Maxx HD but made the mistake of applying the October OTA. Lost root but since I had done all I needed root for, I left it alone.

The OTA for JB came out and it won't install. When I tried to apply it manually, I press Power/Vol to get to recovery and I only see the recovery menu for a min before it reboots. (can't get into anything in the menu)

the JB OTA keeps bugging me and this root method doesn't work.

I get to the Bug report, I feel the vibration (it's a good vibration right?), but the program says "Exploit Failed" and it reboots with no root.

Help?

jared1337

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I just received my Razr Maxx HD today and downloaded all updates before anything and it installed the official JB OTA update. Will this root method still work even though JB is already installed before hand?

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So does this root work for ota jelly bean?

Sent from Razr MAXX HD

Yes, but you have to do it in the right order. First you use the utility here DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.10 -- For Verizon XT926 Models [Windows] - Droid Razr HD - RootzWiki to go back to factory ICS. For the utility to work, you have to have USB debugging activated in the phone's Developer Options, and be booted into fastboot mode (when the phone is off, hold down power, volume up, and volume down simultaneously to get to the menu, then use the volume key to scroll down to fastboot, then press volume up to select).

After you're back to factory 4.0.4, you install the 7.2 OTA security update to your phone the normal way. This is the little update that came out shortly after the phone was released, and you'll still be on 4.0.4

Then you use the utility to root, and use the utility to install Rootkeeper. That will also install the Superuser app. Not sure if you still have to do this, but open the Superuser app, scroll over to the screen that has the binaries, and tap the binaries to prompt it to update.

Do "Protect Root" or whatever it's called in Rootkeeper. Then do the temporary un-root in Rootkeeper. Then you can do the Jelly Bean OTA update. After the update is done, you can use Rootkeeper to restore the root.

This worked for me, and that's all the steps as far as I can recall. By the way, I don't really know what I'm doing, I was just able to follow the steps, so I probably won't be of much help if it doesn't work.

CharlieL3

Banned
Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if you still have to do this, but open the Superuser app, scroll over to the screen that has the binaries, and tap the binaries to prompt it to update.

If you're using the 1.10 version of Matt's utility, the latest Superuser app is there. This step isn't necessary. I did the step, and the new version and the old version were the same.

NoEviL

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have been reading and I thought I saw people say you can unroot, how hard is it to do that, especially if you change the boot loader?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

wolfknight3082

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
So has there been a way to root without doing a factory reset, then rooting, then using voodoo, then updating to jellybean? I would rather not do all that but I guess if there will be no other way to root.....

Amador Magana

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
ive followed the instructions up to the part where it says to trigger a bug report but when i press up button+power the phone shuts reboots and goes in to fastboot mode.no bug report comes up.grr any suggestions?ive tried it many times

cliberti

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
ive followed the instructions up to the part where it says to trigger a bug report but when i press up button+power the phone shuts reboots and goes in to fastboot mode.no bug report comes up.grr any suggestions?ive tried it many times

Use the new root method. It is literally one touch. You connect the phone, run a batch program, hit enter I think twice and the phone reboots and is rooted. You can also unlock the bootloader now in the same manner. It even works on 4.1.2 where the old way did not.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Did you get an error message during process? Have you found a custom rom in which everything works 100%?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

trevor83

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
If I'm on build 9.16.6 am I screwed?

Here's my situation. Phone worked great until I took the latest OTA to get to 4.1.2. Now the damned thing randomly reboots. Sometimes once in a day, sometimes 10 times in a day. And it there is not pattern at all. It can be sitting there not being touched and it reboots. It can be on the charger and it reboots. I can be using it and it locks up and takes about 20 seconds before it reboots. Its incredibly annoying. Suggestion? I'm fine with backing it up to 4.1.1 or rooting (haven't done that since I had an Incredible). Just reading the directions here and in the links it sounds like I'm stuck if I have build 9.16.6

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
If I'm on build 9.16.6 am I screwed?

Here's my situation. Phone worked great until I took the latest OTA to get to 4.1.2. Now the damned thing randomly reboots. Sometimes once in a day, sometimes 10 times in a day. And it there is not pattern at all. It can be sitting there not being touched and it reboots. It can be on the charger and it reboots. I can be using it and it locks up and takes about 20 seconds before it reboots. Its incredibly annoying. Suggestion? I'm fine with backing it up to 4.1.1 or rooting (haven't done that since I had an Incredible). Just reading the directions here and in the links it sounds like I'm stuck if I have build 9.16.6

I'm lazy right now, so I'll just point you to this thread at another forum: [ROOT] Motochopper: Yet Another Android Root Exploit [4.1.2] - Droid Razr HD Development [XT926] - DroidRzr.com

trevor83

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
It worked, thanks! Now I have to dig around and figure out how to put on 4.1.1. Might wait a few days and see if root cleared up the random reboot first.