Maxx hd vs gs3?

codysanbor

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The gs3 has more ram correct? The build/radio quality is not as good

Maxxhd built good crap camera great battery excellent radios.

Any other opinions?

I debating my upgrades coming up in dec

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Front camera is better on the SGS3 as well if you use that.

No issues with the radio on my end though others say they have them. They also are/have been/still will be improved more. I think the build quality thing is a bit blown out of proportion but yeah it is a bit less than the moto phones. Another thing is the bootloader will more than likely be locked down tight where as the sgs is wide open. If you are into flashing, it won't happen on the maxx that much.

The battery life vs the SGS should not be that big a deal for the normal user. I can use mine heavy and get through the whole day

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I concur with the above. I have had no issues with the radios or any other function of the phone. Sure if you get the maxx hd you can go for weeks (joking) without having to charge your phone but I still have no issues getting through more than a day with my gs3. I think it depends on what you are looking for. Both phones have almost identical internals. So go for what like best (price point gs3 certainly has the edge right now. Were able to get the 16gb one for 99 the other day).

Both are solid phones. There isn't much different except one is moto one is Samsung.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Let me help you here. If you are having trouble deciding go to the store and check both of them out. I think the decision is simple opnce you see them side by side and get to hold them in your hand. The real benefit of the Maxx is battery life and that is one of the features you will not be able to compare in the store. Best of luck!!! Get the MAXX! :)

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't like the S3 at all. Its totally an asthetics and feel thing though. The phone functions fine and in my opinion only the camera function itself is better than the Maxx HD. The shutter speed seems quicker to me although the picture quality seem the Same to me.

I dont need to say how the S3s battery pails in comparison.

I don't like how the S3 feels fragile to me. A friend of mine left Verizon, went to AT&T for the iPhone 5. I warned him. Then he dumped that phone for the S3. I messed with both of them while I let him use my Maxx HD. He has the Maxx HD now back with verizon!

The first night he had his, he sent me a text saying how much he loved the Maxx solely based on how solid and well built it was...he called it the iPhone for men! Lol

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, the MAXX has such a better build quality...and I hate the Samsung UI. I use Canberra Zoom FX and I think the camera is great on the MAXX!

Plus, there is no comparison on the battery.

MAXX for the win in my book.

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD MAXX

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Does the max really have a better battery?

I'm a great user and can never get more than 12 hours out of it.

I honestly don't think there will be a smartphone with a battery that lasts 24 hours with heavy usage for a very long time

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) available - the galaxy S III!

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Does the max really have a better battery?

I'm a great user and can never get more than 12 hours out of it.

I honestly don't think there will be a smartphone with a battery that lasts 24 hours with heavy usage for a very long time

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) available - the galaxy S III!

Did you see the Engadget review of the phones? They did their standard run down test and the maxx got a pretty respectable 14 hrs of continuous video play back. That is about 5-6 hrs longer than the s3. I was impressed by it.

http://m.engadget.com/2012/10/19/droid-razr-hd-and-razr-maxx-hd-review/

So yes it does...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I actually switched back to the S3. I am in to rooting etc and development on this thing is large. My battery lasts me a day so that is good as well.

I actually really liked the MAXX HD but I couldn't get over how bad the camera was. Especially coming from a S3. Also, since the HD's is more narrow and has the on screen buttons it seemed significantly smaller to me. I dunno maybe that is just me.

I actually really liked it tho and was fully of anxiety when I swapped it but I am not regretting it. I am on a Note 2 JB Jellhwiz rom and it is bananas.

Different strokes tho.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
And I am not sure about the radio situation either. I know that they were terrible on my GNEX but I actuality get better signals on the S3 than I did on my MAXX HD. Was not expecting that. The HD has a better speaker tho

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Maxx Pros:

BT connects and works better
USB mode can be used as a mass storage device. What this means is plugging into the USB port of the car and controlling music from steering wheel audio controls. Not a big deal if you have BT streaming, but a lot of cars don't.
USB also connects easier with computers, especially Macs.
Radios
Battery is way better. Off charger at 7 on at midnight 50%+ left with a lot of screen time, surfing, calls, etc. GS3 would not have made it.
Thinner and easier to hold in my hand. Personal preference.
UI - I had to use Nova on my GS3. No need on the Maxx the UI is great.
Smart Actions
Call quality

Maxx Cons:

Camera
Screen size - some real estate lost to buttons.
No S-Voice, but is this really a con with Google Now coming by year end.
No removable battery, but not really necessary anyway
Less ability to flash and mod

I believe I will keep my Maxx mainly because I need the battery without the bulk. I tried a big battery for my GS3, but it was too thick and I couldn't find a belt clip holster and case for it. I also like the USB connectivity for one of my cars and my computer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I switched to Verizon with a GS3 about a month ago, from Sprint. Coming from a Sprint Photon, I was very excited when the Razr Maxx HD came out, and purchased one right away. After the first day, I was ready to go back to my GS3. However, I decided to give the Razr Maxx HD a better go over the weekend. I can say without question that I am completely in love with the device... It is by far the best experience I have had with a phone in terms of software, build quality and battery life.

Now, however, the phone is in its box and will be returning to Amazon on Monday... why???

a) Phone call quality - via bluetooth and on the earpiece my calls were muddied. People listening to me from the other side said that I kept going in and out, and what I heard was not clear.
b) Camera - subpar, but I was ready to live with it.
c) Screen - amazing clarity, and fairly bright in colors, but super yellowish in tone when looking at white pages.

Overall, the thing that killed it was the call quality. Had that worked, I would have stuck with it. Going back to Touchwiz after using the RMHD is painful, to say the least.

There were and are sooo many pluses to the phone...

a) Build quality - amazing.
b) Battery life - incredible
c) Bluetooth - worked very well out of the box for me (much unlike the GS3)
d) Smart Actions - love the feature, everyone should implement something like this. Techtiles are close, but not as cool.
e) Messaging app - i still text a lot, and preferred the simple approach that motorola/google took in this, as opposed to the stupid bubble messaging app in Touchwiz.
f) Email - the email client was a lot better in Motorola's phone.
g) World connectivity - need that, I travel overseas a lot. Verizon promised this for the GS3, but I don't have it or see it yet.

Comments about reception - i see the two phones as having similar reception, but I wasn't in any fringe areas, which are where my Motorola Photon shined. I'd like to compare that, but won't get a chance before sending back.

I know many of us are very excited by this phone, but I'm not sure about the quality control of the innards before this came out. I am hoping that more people chime in. Oh and did I mention that the camera really sucked?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

No argument well not much of one. I do not think it is that big a deal.

Couldnt argue if i tried

No issues with my SGS3 at all. I havent used it much but it seems to work well.

d) Smart Actions - love the feature, everyone should implement something like this. Techtiles are close, but not as cool.

No experience

e) Messaging app - i still text a lot, and preferred the simple approach that motorola/google took in this, as opposed to the stupid bubble messaging app in Touchwiz.

Its an Android, you can change this any variety of ways. I am on a non-stock ROM and I do not have that issue

K-9 is still the best email app. Never really played with MOTOs but the stock Gmail app is good as well. The TW version does suck.

g) World connectivity - need that, I travel overseas a lot. Verizon promised this for the GS3, but I don't have it or see it yet.

Easily remedied. Instructions over on XDA.

I am still saying you cannot go wrong with either phone. I just think this list is a bit weak since all of it can be changed

Paperino

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site

No argument well not much of one. I do not think it is that big a deal.

Couldnt argue if i tried

No issues with my SGS3 at all. I havent used it much but it seems to work well.

In my car, the SG3 pairs well, but then the microphone function goes out when making. receiving calls, forcing me to switch sound to the handset (therefore it's completely useless). I can unpair and pair again, and it works for a while, but always goes back to this behavior. I've never had that problem with any other phone.

No experience

Its an Android, you can change this any variety of ways. I am on a non-stock ROM and I do not have that issue.

I know that I can change this, and it is one of the advantages of Android. However, 95% of people don't root/change their phones, and while there probably are other messaging apps available, my preference is one over the other.

K-9 is still the best email app. Never really played with MOTOs but the stock Gmail app is good as well. The TW version does suck.

Easily remedied. Instructions over on XDA.

Again - it's more than anyone *should* have to deal with, given that it was promised.

I am still saying you cannot go wrong with either phone. I just think this list is a bit weak since all of it can be changed

You might as well have said, go over to the iphone, since you don't want to change anything. That's pretty much why all of those guys hate people using Android. My point is that much of this should be working out of the box. If you had read the message thoroughly, you'd see that my main beef was the poor earpiece and sound over bluetooth. Had those worked flawlessly, I would have stuck around.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I did read you post in its entirety, my point was that except for the BT issues you had the rest do work as intended. The 95% that you talk about will just take it as "this is the way it is". THere is nothing wrong with that. Most do not use the phone as a world phone. Most will take the messaging app for what it is, just like the iphone users do.

You and I and most of the others on here either want to change the phone and are trying to figure out how, or already know and want to take it to the next step.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
radio, build quality, and battery cannot be changed!!

Samsung phones are POS. i have owned both GNEX and GS3. no comparison. the radio on S3 is not even in same league as maxx. this is quite evident in hostile/fringe coverage areas.

people who say battery is fine on S3 make me laugh. you simply cannot do what i do on my Maxx in a long, full, day. Whatever you want, navi, tether, stream, message, mail, call, play, watch, etc. ALL DAMN DAY!!!! not till 9, not till 10, not till 11, ALL DAY!!!!!!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There is no question that the maxx has the best battery out there but outside of that the sgs3 shines over everything else at this point. The rest is subjective to your preference and area.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
There is no question that the maxx has the best battery out there but outside of that the sgs3 shines over everything else at this point. The rest is subjective to your preference and area.

How do you figure? it is touted as having the best UI out right now, better build quality/nano coating, smart actions, you simply can't argue that Moto has the best radios, same processor, virtually same screen, but brighter......

What does 1 extra gig of RAM get you? nothing. At this point it is a spec that wins on paper.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Actually blur IMHO sucks worse than two and is far behind sense4. I have no issue at all with the build quality nor the radios on the sgs3. Others have and I can acknowledge that, but I can show you some that have complained about the maxx.

I am not saying one is better than the other so much, I am saying that they are equal depending on what you find important in a phone. Removable battery, bootloader that is unlocked and a phone I can rom is important to me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie