Very fragile screen

zackh123

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else noticing that this phone has an extremely fragile screen? I dropped my phone from a good foot off the ground and I have a crack that spiderwebs in 5 directions and a hole the size of a pea with glass falling out of it (keeps getting bigger).

Does anyone know if this is a continuation of the problem the Droid Razrs had when they first came out?

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Wow that blows. I'm am anti case user but I haven't dropped my phones in a long time. Accidents do happen and one day it may to me.
My son on the other hand has dropped his Maxx just off of the coffee table onto the living room rug (its thin) and cracked the screen horribly.
Don't remember where but I was reading an article on tech that went on to say how apple predominantly, but most all phone manufacturers are opting thinner lighter screens not only for cost cutting but to displace internal heat and to fit a larger battery. I think its something we have to adapt to.

zackh123

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I mentioned in another thread that if you are debating on getting a case for this phone, GET ONE! I've read that since it has gorilla glass, the glass is a lot less flexible, which means it's a lot harder for the glass to get scratched. The huge negative for having non flexible glass is that the screen breaks very very easily. I read a post on another forum about a guy who had his phone in his pocket while seated, bent over to pick something up and cracked his phone. Hopefully Seidio gets on their game and releases a case for this thing.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Guys, Gorilla Glass or not, it's glass. It is scratch resistant. Not "crap dropped it" resistant. Glass has certain properties that you just cant get past. It's not like this is bullet resistant polymer. In the mean time I am impatiently awaiting transparent aluminium.

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Lol Hes you're absolutely right. I completely agree. As I said I've been extremely careful and even more lucky. I destroyed my Samsung galaxy a year ago. It didn't fair very well when it met the door frame to my bathroom at about 30 miles an hour. Didn't have a case on it, but don't think that would have survived either.

The story I read about the manufacturers using thinner glass and why just kind of put me off. A friend of mine and her kids have shattered a combo of 6 IPhones in the past year. Grant it not solely by simple drops to the carpet, but nonetheless.

The glass being glass as all glass is, I would love to see them selling replacement glass from the distributor or manufacturers that's simple enough to replace for the not so handy parent Parent or unlucky adult so you don't have to pay for a refurb unit just because your lense broke.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I've dropped my regular Maxx running on a treadmill. I'm lucky I didn't step on it. My hand hit my headphone wire and knocked my Maxx onto the treadmill belt. My phone has a VZW high gloss silicon case and has not cracked.

I recommend using some sort of case. I do love the way the phone feels without a case. I use the phone at home with no case but once I'm out the house there's always a case on it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
That is good advice dragonsamus. I'm just so not into cases at all. I should do like you say and have one on when I'm out, accidents happen to us all.

I kinda look at it like anything else I buy. I wouldn't buy a case for an expensive pair of running shoes nor one for my Challenger! I wear the shoes and drive the car because I love how they feel and perform. Large in part to why I buy my phones. I don't care for the gs3 because of its appearance and feel but love my Maxx and Maxx HD. Adding a case takes away from part of the reasons I bought it.
Yeah I wash and wax my Challenger and yup, kinda do the same with my Maxx but I won't put a case on either. I'll just be as careful as I can I guess.

Remember the old bras people put on the front end of their cars? How when they took it off it marred the paint from rubbing and trapping dirt against the body? A case did that to a blackberry I had years ago and that was it for me.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
The glass being glass as all glass is, I would love to see them selling replacement glass from the distributor or manufacturers that's simple enough to replace for the not so handy parent Parent or unlucky adult so you don't have to pay for a refurb unit just because your lense broke.
This. When the love of my life, the center of my attention dropped her iPhone4, as a 14 year old is wont to do, it was relatively easy for me to replace the screen / digitizer.

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if this is a continuation of the problem the Droid Razrs had when they first came out?

I dropped the original DROID RAZR a few times and the screen held up nicely. I realize I probably got lucky, though.

Sent from my Panasonic ELUGA

Last edited:

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I accidentally threw my Maxx Hd across the room and it slammed into the wall and fell 4 ft to the floor landing on it's face. Panic set in and when I picked it up not a scratch or dent anywhere. Of course I have the VZW holster case on it and am I glad I do. whewwww

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I accidentally threw my Maxx Hd across the room and it slammed into the wall and fell 4 ft to the floor landing on it's face. Panic set in and when I picked it up not a scratch or dent anywhere. Of course I have the VZW holster case on it and am I glad I do. whewwww

Lol holy crappy Chuck! Maybe I'll get a case after all! Sounds like my old galaxy!

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

Lol this raises more questions! Why and how do you accidentally throw your phone? I am happy to hear it survived that ordeal.

zackh123

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Guys, Gorilla Glass or not, it's glass. It is scratch resistant. Not "crap dropped it" resistant. Glass has certain properties that you just cant get past. It's not like this is bullet resistant polymer. In the mean time I am impatiently awaiting transparent aluminium.

I realize that glass is glass. But all I'm saying is that Gorilla Glass in less flexible than normal phone glass, which makes it prone to pressure cracks along with the obvious "crap I dropped my phone" cracks. I could throw my Droid X across the room and that thing was a tank. It just seems this phone is a bit more fragile.

myRT

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I realize that glass is glass. But all I'm saying is that Gorilla Glass in less flexible than normal phone glass, which makes it prone to pressure cracks along with the obvious "crap I dropped my phone" cracks. I could throw my Droid X across the room and that thing was a tank. It just seems this phone is a bit more fragile.

Zack you're completely right. Same thing for tempered steel honestly.

The higher tech our tech devices get the more fragile they will be. Like I told my son, take care of it! Its your link to the world. Yeah....he's asked for a case and should have one soon!

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Lol this raises more questions! Why and how do you accidentally throw your phone? I am happy to hear it survived that ordeal.

My dog was lying on our bed and I was telling her to get off and with my phone in my hand gestured away from the bed towards the wall. "Dobby, OFF!!!!!" As My arm extended away from my body the phone came flying out of my hand....... Dobby did not move :(, My phone hit the wall and then the floor.....