Charging/Data cable on DC input

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Is there a 2 meter Charging/Data cable that charges the Razr Maxx HD when the power source is a USB (DC) port ? I've tried to use the old USB cable that I previously had connected my HTC Tbolt to my computer's usb port and it only connects as a mass storage device and does not provide charging capabilities. The same cable works for charging when it is connected to an AC usb adapter.
The cable provided by Motorola (SKN6430A) works with either an AC or DC power source so I believe the Cable is the problem.
I tried the Local Verizon Wireless Corporate store and they were surprised when I showed them that none of the cables they were selling charged when the input source was DC yet charged when the input was AC!
The Motorola site doesn't even show the SKN6430A as an available part.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That is very odd....I use cables interchangeably with all the different phones in the house (different cables, different OEMs) I would wonder about the charging port. Didn't it come with a cable?

gb525

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I believe that's a Motorola thing.. When I had the bionic it was the same way

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I tried every mini usb cable I own all the way back to my Env3 (LG) cable and none of them will charge when the input is DC. What make of cable (PN if you have it) are /do you use?

gb525

Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
You have to use a Motorola specific cable that's all that will work

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
whoover

"The cable that came with my MAXX HD charges from the USB port on my computer just fine"

So does mine!!! None of the other cables I own wil charge when the cable input is DC (such as a USB computer port or when connected to a cigarette lighter adapter in the car).
I don't want to be limited to only the cable that came in the box and if I'm right about needing a special cable you may be interested should your one and only provided cable malfunctions or gets damaged.
Like I said even the cables being sold as replacements at the Verizon Corporate store would not charge the device on a DC input

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
You have to use a Motorola specific cable that's all that will work

Do you know of a source for the Motorola Specific cable. My local Corporate store doesn't carry them.
Thanks

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
whoover

"The cable that came with my MAXX HD charges from the USB port on my computer just fine"

So does mine!!! None of the other cables I own wil charge when the cable input is DC (such as a USB computer port or when connected to a cigarette lighter adapter in the car).
I don't want to be limited to only the cable that came in the box and if I'm right about needing a special cable you may be interested should your one and only provided cable malfunctions or gets damaged.
Like I said even the cables being sold as replacements at the Verizon Corporate store would not charge the device on a DC input
I tried seven cables I had lying around and six worked. Most were Motorola cables from old phones, but not all. One that works is the one from my wife's Kindle. One is from a third-party auto charger.

spiraleze

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I ordered one of these Charger's with USB cable as a backup for my 'spare' late last week after finding out that my older LG charger would not work on my Maxx HD.

Amazon.com: Motorola SPN5689A OEM Dual Port Universal Wall Charger with Micro USB Data Cable for Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX XT916/XT913, Admiral/PAX XT603, Atrix 2, DROID RAZR XT912 /HD, Photon 4G, Triumph WX435, Theory WX430, Titanium i1x, i412, XPRT:

For less than $5 (including shipping) and fast shipping (it is being delivered today) it should meet my needs as a charger for at work/travel. I already have confirmed my existing car chargers (one of which is a Motorola) do work for my Maxx HD.

UPDATE: Happy to report what I received from the Amazon vendor was identical to the original equipment charger/USB cable provided with my Maxx HD. Part numbers all the same and even the packaging identical. The USB cable is 3 ft (1 meter) and is currently charging my phone via my work computer. All for < $5.

Last edited:

ongre10

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Remember that the charger must be able to put out enough milliamps. The charger that comes with it is a 1.15 mA device with 2 USB plugs. I have a Motorola 12v charger (It lives in my car.) that is widely available it provides a .95 mA output that seems to work. The USB output built into my Scion is only .5 milliamps and will not charge this phone, it can handle my iPod though.
I would suggest avoiding the really cheap ones and many older chargers.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Remember that the charger must be able to put out enough milliamps. The charger that comes with it is a 1.15 mA device with 2 USB plugs. I have a Motorola 12v charger (It lives in my car.) that is widely available it provides a .95 mA output that seems to work. The USB output built into my Scion is only .5 milliamps and will not charge this phone, it can handle my iPod though.
I would suggest avoiding the really cheap ones and many older chargers.

Small correction. Your currents are off by 1,000. It's 1.15 A (1150 mA) for the stock charger, for instance. At 5.1 volts, that's just under 6 watts.

Rob_B

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Contacted Motorola and they must be aware of needing a specific cable because they are sending me a SKN6430A to have (for free) :cool:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2